If you like this Idea, keep the thread going, get the Devs to do it - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I love the smell of plasma grenades in the morning.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-07-15, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

If you like this Idea, keep the thread going, get the Devs to do it

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/006966.html

Give it a look and add your thoughts if you like it.

Thanks, Mr.Vicchio.
Old 2003-07-15, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
PeregineDive
Staff Sergeant

Done. Once again, great ideas MrVicchio!

-PD
Old 2003-07-15, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

Replyed as SpikeSpiegel

Old 2003-07-15, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

SporkfirePS
Developer posted 07-15-2003 11:17 AM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're looking at a lot of areas where we can spice up the gameplay, including new modes of play and heightening the commitment players feel toward the war and the land they keep. A Victory Condition might be interesting, though I can't guarantee anything like that will make it into the game. I'll note the suggestion though.
Victor Wachter
Community Relations Representative
Many questions can be answered by reading the PlanetSide Game Info and FAQ
Old 2003-07-15, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hamma
PSU Admin

Victory conditions would suck.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-07-15, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bad Mojo
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Re: If you like this Idea, keep the thread going, get the Devs to do it

Originally posted by MrVicchio

The game has a point, for some of us, but to the average gamer.. why play a game with no end? This also seems to be the sentiement among a number of people that visit PSU that have declinded to renew. I speak with many players, and thats one of thier big complaints... whats the point if you can't win...

I have a question about this. If I play BF:1942, what is the "winning condition" of that game? I'm not talking about maps, but if I join a pickup server, how do I "win" that server? After how many maps of playing BF:1942 can I say, "I won"? Same with Quake3 or CS. Perhaps I could win a tournament, or I could beat the single-player version of BF:1942. But how do I win the general BF:1942 server that I play on?

See what I'm asking?

If I play CS on pickup servers all day, map after map after map, what's the difference between that and capping base after base after base? Do people just need a little window to pop up and say, "YOU WIN!"?
Old 2003-07-15, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
IDgaf
Sergeant

In BF1942, though, there's a point where you can say 'Our tickets are almost out, we have to do this NOW or we don't win'.

While there is a lot of that in PS, it's not quite the same - and it's that very je ne sais quoi that might improve the game.

Last edited by IDgaf; 2003-07-15 at 02:17 PM.
Old 2003-07-15, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Bad Mojo
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Re: ...

Originally posted by IDgaf
In BF1942, though, there's a point where you can say 'Our tickets are almost out, we have to do this NOW or we don't win'.

While there is a lot of that in PS, it's not quite the same - and it's that very je ne sais quoi that might improve the game.
Let me get this straight. There's a thing in BF:1942 that makes it different. But that thing happens in PS all the time. But it's just ... different? Why? If you can't quantify the difference, how can anyone change it?

Maybe it's that on a pick-up server, the teams can be auto-balanced, but they can't be in PS per base, only per continent. If that's the case, maybe it's better to fix that than try to make the game "winnable".

Personally, I think the difference isn't the game, but the ATTITUDES of the people. Like they are inventing a reason to not play instead of trying it and finding out they like it. Just my opinion there. I'm not them, so I don't know. If PS was winnable, then what? Since everyone just respawns and the game starts over, who is really the winner? The person who won? What if they lose the next game? Are they still winners? Who lost?

Real war is the only time anyone REALLY wins. And even then, we all lose.

Last edited by Bad Mojo; 2003-07-15 at 02:36 PM.
Old 2003-07-15, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
pauljar1
Sergeant

Can you post the actual information from the official boards? My work firewall won't let me to the information...
Old 2003-07-15, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
IDgaf
Sergeant

Ultimately the difference is quantifiable, but it would require a lot of investigation.

It would probably cover BF1942, PS, human evolution, motivation, stress, emotion and a hell of a lot more.

While I could certainly research the issue, it'd take away time from playing the game.

Anyway, at least we're talking about the issue and discussing; always the first step.

IDgaf.
Old 2003-07-15, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hexen
Sergeant

I reckon victory conditions would rock. :P

I've always known that eventually the game will get old. Taking a base is pretty pointless right now, besides the experience gain obviously. Even if you manage to get every continent on your server locked (which is just that damn unlikely), you can't really do anything after that. Honestly, do you guys actually think any side will actually ever manage to lock every single continent? Its going to happen maybe two or three times in the entire life of the game I bet.

The point with this idea is to get the feeling that you're fighting for victory, right now we're fighting for nothing. All it can do is improve gameplay because it'll make players more involved with their empires situation, because they know they can actually win or lose, things matter.

Oh and dont compare to other FPS games damnit, it doesn't matter at all. PS is a game of its own and theres no reason why the way other games work should have any impact on PS at all. You still win standard FPS games anyway, each round or level change you've either won or lost. Basically every game out there gives you the ability to win and lose, except all those damn MMORPGs. Nothing wrong with PlanetSide stepping out of the MMO-You-cant-win standard.
Old 2003-07-15, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Deadfist
Private

The door bug is actually a lag bug. I had it, it was horrible; i got dsl, it went away. Get a faster connection.
Old 2003-07-15, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

Originally posted by MrVicchio
SporkfirePS
Developer posted 07-15-2003 11:17 AM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're looking at a lot of areas where we can spice up the gameplay, including new modes of play and heightening the commitment players feel toward the war and the land they keep. A Victory Condition might be interesting, though I can't guarantee anything like that will make it into the game. I'll note the suggestion though.
Victor Wachter
Community Relations Representative
Many questions can be answered by reading the PlanetSide Game Info and FAQ

this means he doesn't give a shit but he's trying to act liek he cares.

Old 2003-07-15, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Bad Mojo
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally posted by Hexen

The point with this idea is to get the feeling that you're fighting for victory, right now we're fighting for nothing. All it can do is improve gameplay because it'll make players more involved with their empires situation, because they know they can actually win or lose, things matter.
Ok, I'm going to tell you that you can win. I know other people might tell you otherwise, but it's not true. You CAN win. If you get a total lock on every continent, you can invade the sancs and capture the towers there and you will "WIN"! Does that help?
Old 2003-07-15, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

Originally posted by Hamma
Victory conditions would suck.
Yea.

tho if it would bring more players to the game, make a separate server or 2 wich has games such as CTF and DM. i dunno, tho it would be better if u would hav access to everything in CTF or sumtin.....

http://mrchevys3.blogspot.com/

Living is easy with eyes closed.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion