Vanu Hover Bikes (like the flash) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Political Science Universe
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-06-06, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Demarkin
Private

Gameplay: Vanu Hover Bikes (like the flash)

Maybe instead or in addition too the "flash" fast attack transport, the vanu could have a specific version of the vehicle in the form of perhaps a hover bike, much like the mag rider, but instead in the shape of a motorcycle that floats, keeping the same charachteristics of fast but flimsy, of course a trade would have to be made with the large increase in manouverability. Maybe lighter weapons, or heavier cost, or less speed, etc. Maybe even as a future project, all factions could have faction specific fast attack vehicles.

This could just deepen the specific faction feel that each empire owns and devise even more new tactics as to how rush/ambush tactics could be performed, providing different varieties for strategy within a strategical option (ambushing/guerrila warfare)

I'm sure there are plenty of ways this bike would be overpowered compared to the generic flash which is why it's a suggestion for far later in the future, but i'm also sure there are several ways to iron out this balance. It adds to deepen strategy options furthur and offers a new idea of a more viable, flanking vehichle that is a strict balance of fast and durable (a fast attack vehicle of some sorts), but still retains the same trade off system that the game implements.

Attachment cite: http://genesoul.blogspot.com/2010/09...-concepts.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hover bike concept 01_test.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	566  

Last edited by Demarkin; 2012-06-06 at 11:48 PM.
Old 2012-06-07, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zekeen
Major

Re: Vanu Hover Bikes (like the flash)

I'm all for seeing Vanu get unique and odd items. It diversifies them further from the other two factions.

Maybe they should give the TR and NC some armored Motorcycles for unarmed super light, high speed transports. Players have always wanted some motos hehe.
Old 2012-06-07, 01:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Demarkin
Private

Yes, Yes! Definately. Could be like the armoured bike in Batman Begins!
Old 2012-06-07, 01:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
AssassinGT
Private

I always thought the Flash could use a bigger brother counter part. I want WAY more empire specific vehicles actually. Infact I don't like the common pool vehicles but I wish each empire had everything of their own. So yes, I'm all for this!
Old 2012-06-07, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Very much approved.
Old 2012-06-07, 02:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
NoKitty
Private

VS- Hover Bike

TR- Crotch Rocket/Sport Bike

NC- Chopper/Cruiser/Hog

I think it'd be nice to give them a little firepower like a little forward only firing weapon that can harass bigger vehicles like a fly, to distract and annoy.

Another direction to go, put a 2nd seat on the back and let the backseat shoot their class weapons 360 degrees.

or both. jk OP
Old 2012-06-07, 02:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
AssassinGT
Private

Originally Posted by NoKitty View Post
VS- Hover Bike

TR- Crotch Rocket/Sport Bike

NC- Chopper/Cruiser/Hog

I think it'd be nice to give them a little firepower like a little forward only firing weapon that can harass bigger vehicles like a fly, to distract and annoy.

Another direction to go, put a 2nd seat on the back and let the backseat shoot their class weapons 360 degrees.

or both. jk OP
eh id keep it realistic, Obviously you shouldn't mix civilian equipment with this militaristic war setting. Just keep it the usual, speed, for TR and armored and slow for the NC.
Old 2012-06-07, 02:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zekeen
Major

I'd picture it more of

VS - Hover bike

TR - Basic Motorcycle style, styled after WW2 German motorcycles

NC - A more of a cheap civilian style, but upgraded with metal plates around it.
Old 2012-06-07, 03:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Thought of Empire specific ATVs,

Vanu get the hoverbike

Terran get an Attack Bike that has a side car.

NC get a tron cycle with the turboboost ability to run over people.
Old 2012-06-07, 05:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Fafnir
Sergeant

Flash already covers the need to have fast and agile single person ground vehicle. I think they resources should be spent elsewhere, but that's just my opinion.

If you can name any gameplay element this would add, I'd gladly support it
Old 2012-06-07, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Re: Gameplay: Vanu Hover Bikes (like the flash)

Originally Posted by Demarkin View Post
I would love to see that in game! In order for that to happen it needs to bring something to the table that the Quad/Flash doesn't. Whatever the cycles bring to the table also needs to be balanced out as well. If they're to be faster than the Quads, will that make them more squishy? Will they be weaponless in an attempt to bring back the Wraith cloaking mechanic on a vehicle?

I very much like the idea, and I think the cloak might be it's best chance of bringing something to the PS2 table.
Old 2012-06-07, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Demarkin
Private

Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
Flash already covers the need to have fast and agile single person ground vehicle. I think they resources should be spent elsewhere, but that's just my opinion.

If you can name any gameplay element this would add, I'd gladly support it
For starters, it's too add to the feeling that each faction posses with their own specific vehicles. Generic vehicles are a great way to solve balance issues but still keep the combined arms aspect to the game, so you could always make the argument that this seems like a pointless effort given that we have the flash, which is again why I thought of this as a "in the future" project.

But maybe the concept of having generic vehicles isn't what all the players want, maybe having almost every vehicle being faction specific gives even more of that, national pride vibe that the players should feel and a sense of uniqueness amongst the battlefield, it adds more variety to the game as a whole, changes the way strategies could and can be executed, each faction specific vehicle just like the others having unique abilities and drawbacks that just makes a cetrain empire all the more enjoyable or un-enjoyable to play.

As for fast attack vehicles, YES, the quad bike does this well, however I gave the idea of a more VIABLE attack vehicle that stuck the balance of durable and quick, (like a Bradley in real life) and I don't just mean a tank. Any form of vehicle that strikes this balance could be an option, and at that, it doesn't need to strike a balance either, it's all about creating that empire pride with a vehicle that you can hop into and be able to see that only you, and only your empire, posses a vehicle that looks, acts, and exist like it does. Again, having these unique vehicles differs the way players will go about choosing an empire, attack and defend assets, and because of the faction specific abilities, change the way a faction engages in warfare.

But this is NOT neccesity, and alot of this is just very vague, simple ways these types of vehicles could be implemented, i'm sure many other people have better proposals of this than I do. But you are absolutely right in that the quad fullfills the fast attack purpose, again, this is just a future idea that strengthens each empires feel of play, and adds a sense of uniqueness for each time you get to log on and screw over someone's day with your custom hover bike that no other empire can match!

Last edited by Demarkin; 2012-06-07 at 10:51 AM.
Old 2012-06-07, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Purple
Sergeant Major

i would rather have buggys as fast attack.
Old 2012-06-07, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
SoNaR
Corporal

Misc Info

I really like this idea, faction specific bikes each with their own unique abilities.

Obviously it should be something along the lines of…
TR - Fastest bike but the weakest
NC - Toughest and most Durable but the slowest
VS - Most maneuverable (imagining something like a ghost from the Halo series, with the ability to strafe)

Also this is a bit off topic but if they do eventually have faction specific bikes then I would like to see the quad's become a 2 seat vehicle with a driver and a passenger who can shoot off the back and over the drivers shoulder.
Old 2012-06-07, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
NoKitty
Private

halo's ghost is exactly what i was think for handling, but faster top speed.

as far as justifying the need of the role of bikes, it kinda depends on how the quads handle. i feel like they might not have a fast enough top speed. i would really like to be able to reach insane speeds on a bike, and i think that would add an incredibly intense and visceral experience.

picture the speed bikes from return of the jedi. you know you want that. i dont think the quads can deliver that.

edit: just an idea i'd like to throw out there. inspired by the tron bikes
give the bikes a kind of plasma based caltrops to drop behind them in a trail that they can use to damage armored vehicles when they run (or hover) over. imagine chasing down another biker while shooting your forward mounted (low damage) gun, and they let out a trail (think tron bikes) and cuts you off. it would give the bikes a role vs larger vehicles and a game to play against other bikers that is very fast paced and skill based.

Last edited by NoKitty; 2012-06-07 at 08:45 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault