Upcomming Surge Changes! - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Corrupting youth since '02
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-12, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

Good, it's the simplest fix and it makes sense. Oh I know people will cry "Just fix the warping issues!!!!". Here's the thing though- How? It's a tad more complicated than just changing a line of code, if it's even possible at all. If you want to run around like a chicken with it's head cut off while firing a gun, go play UT. Personally I'm sick of people in agile or standard surging around like idiots with a HA weapon and thus warping like a turbo charged Starhip Enterprise. This fixes it and affects the way I play the game in no way what-so-ever sooooooo /danceofjoy

The only thing I like more than this change is that Oxo might quit over it

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2004-03-12, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
teratravp
Corporal

wow...

I haven't played this game since beta.

I was thinking about getting a trial and seeing if the developers pulled their heads out of their asses yet and stoped trying to sabatoge what they've done right.

the answer is pretty clear.

in beta surge + cycler was my favorite way to play. There's nothing superfantastically overpowered about that whatsoever. It's just a WAY to play. Just like you can cert in any other variety of things and kick my ass.

now apparently they've got some lag problem (HOW? you've got less players then ever sheesh) and the answer is throw surge out the window? I know no one has gotten more (deserved?probably) flaming in the history of devs then the planetside team... but wow. just when I finally thought I'd put enough distance where you would have HAD to come to your senses and finally relented to stop making the game stupider...

ah well, saves me a gig download.

and as always the enigma remains... such a beautiful core to a game... continually ripped apart into less and less. hopefully someone will take this model one day and make a real mmofps that we can all be proud of.
Old 2004-03-12, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Duffman
Contributor
First Lieutenant

omg you guys are fuckin morons. This will help the game make playing more fun. You cna still surge up quick then pull out your gun.

Wait i figured somehting out. Use tactics instead of just surge + jumping all over the place.
Old 2004-03-12, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
teratravp
Corporal

why don't they just cut the jump while surging?

I never jumped while surging in the old days, but if that's the exploit then stop just the exploit duh.

and I see nothing's changed about the community being entirely biased towards their style of play and ENCOURAGING the rest of the game to be ruined no matter what the devs are doing.

OH I PLAY AS A NC MAX... HMM NO OTHER CLASSES GOING TO HAVE WEAPONS NOW? GOOD LESS JERKS FIRING AT ME. sheesh (that's just a totally nonsensical example, watch someone get upset about it)
Old 2004-03-12, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

why don't they just cut the jump while surging?
Thats just one of many things they can do and a good idea at that. It just serves to illustrate the unbridled stupidity of this proposed change
Old 2004-03-12, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by teratravp
and I see nothing's changed about the community being entirely biased towards their style of play and ENCOURAGING the rest of the game to be ruined no matter what the devs are doing.
I agree with your statement. People are very intolerant of others in general, not just in a game. Don�t believe me? Watch the news. Anyway, I agree with the Surge adjustment. I don�t mind losing to someone who reacts faster and fights better, but I hate getting killed by someone exploiting a problem with game code. In this case surge or surge + jumping = warping = vastly unfair combat situation. All I want is a fair fight and to that end this change helps.
Old 2004-03-12, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

I think you should be able to carry anything that fits in the pistol slot while surging though, i.e. AMP, REK, ACE

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-03-12, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

My main concern is this: If all you have is a shotgun and AV, and your enemy is firing at you from over 300 feet with an assault rifle, what are your options? You can run away and more then likely be shot in the back and killed, or you could trudge forward in your rexo, weapon drawn, moving slow as hell, just to get shot on your way over. Or, you could keep your weapon holstered, use surge, run as fast as hell right up to your opponent, and get blasted point blank because you don't have time to turn off surge then draw your weapon and even fire one shot. There honestly must be a better solution. No, I can't tell you what it is, but I can tell you it's not my job to fix it, so that really doesn't matter now does it?

This was just one of the examples of how this effects gameplay in a negative way. The ACE+Infilsurge is another one. And yes, I know there are also positives to this, and very good ones at that, I won't argue. But in a massive game like PlanetSide, when you make changes, the positives better outweigh the negatives by a lot more then what they do with this decision.
Old 2004-03-12, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

Its good! i like this new change! And if you people think its going to ruin the game, don't knock it until you try it! If you can't be bothered to try it out first, or ADAPT, then don't bother playing, you might as well go find another game to fit your style of play, lets just hope you can adapt to it.

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.
Old 2004-03-12, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Vick
Second Lieutenant

Seems silly, but whatever the fuck.

Ill miss my gauss/agile and gauss/standard loadouts though, sence versus rexo they will be nearly useless.
Old 2004-03-12, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
WritheNC
First Lieutenant

What person uses surge defensively?
Me. I am at my best in open field combat, outside of bases. Surge gets you from cover to cover quickly, buys distance from HA users, and gets you away from maxes that get the jump on you.

My main concern is this: If all you have is a shotgun and AV, and your enemy is firing at you from over 300 feet with an assault rifle, what are your options?
Join a squad and have a partner with an MA rifle with you. Seriously though, if you play by yourself, you really shouldn't have a shotgun in an open ground situation like that. That's just a bad tactical choice on your part(no offense). The only time I pull out a sweeper is in base and tower assaults.

I will like this surge fix, since I rarely use surge in close quarters situations. When I do, I never jump anyway as I like to keep as much stamina as possible.

And if some of the top players that use warping/surge to get their kills quit, no matter their empire, good. Means I'll just move up the ranks more, and boost my low SELF ESTEEM CUZ I WAS BEAT UP IN SCHOOL PLZ DON'T HIT ME ANYMORE OMFG. >_<
Old 2004-03-12, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by dscytherulez
My main concern is this: If all you have is a shotgun and AV, and your enemy is firing at you from over 300 feet with an assault rifle, what are your options? You can run away and more then likely be shot in the back and killed, or you could trudge forward in your rexo, weapon drawn, moving slow as hell, just to get shot on your way over. Or, you could keep your weapon holstered, use surge, run as fast as hell right up to your opponent, and get blasted point blank because you don't have time to turn off surge then draw your weapon and even fire one shot. There honestly must be a better solution. No, I can't tell you what it is, but I can tell you it's not my job to fix it, so that really doesn't matter now does it?

This was just one of the examples of how this effects gameplay in a negative way. The ACE+Infilsurge is another one. And yes, I know there are also positives to this, and very good ones at that, I won't argue. But in a massive game like PlanetSide, when you make changes, the positives better outweigh the negatives by a lot more then what they do with this decision.
Obiously you're using a shotgun at the wrong place if you have a 100 meter range between you and the target. You got the wrong gear so you deserve to die.
Old 2004-03-12, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Subterfuge
Corporal

So they're just going to disable weapons while surging? Where's the logic behind that? Your feet cant move when your weapon is drawn? Yeah , real smart, how about actually giving a valid explanation rather then balance.

Why dont we just disable movement at all and give everyone 1 hit kills, oh and how about only 1 continent with 10 bases for each nation, oh yeah how about more exp, no wait all new characters are br20's cr5's. Yeah and some railguns that destroy vehicles. Nerf the air vehicles too, oh and no more spawn time
Old 2004-03-12, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Hamma
PSU Admin

about time. Surgile = exploit

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2004-03-12, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
AztecWarrior
Lightbulb Collector

Dear God, quit whining. I don't Surge as an NC, and I don't JH. RExo is supposed to be a heavier (yes, this means slower) armor. Your advantage is the additional gun, inventory space, and 100 armor.
The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element. The gun kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion