will the game reach 1 million players? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-10, 02:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: will the game reach 1 million players?

I have no idea what the pop caps are going to be. One anecdotal post* says 2k per team per map. So lets just play with those numbers.

(2000x3)3 = 18000
1000000/18000 = 55.55... So 56 maxed out servers to break 1m concurrent players.

For concurrency, SWTOR peaked around 350k. WoW, at some point, averaged 900k so over 1m isn't out of the question. PS2's too niche, I don't see it happening.

*http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf...158764#5158764
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2012-08-10, 03:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
I have no idea what the pop caps are going to be. One anecdotal post* says 2k per team per map. So lets just play with those numbers.

(2000x3)3 = 18000
1000000/18000 = 55.55... So 56 maxed out servers to break 1m concurrent players.

For concurrency, SWTOR peaked around 350k. WoW, at some point, averaged 900k so over 1m isn't out of the question. PS2's too niche, I don't see it happening.

*http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf...158764#5158764
"2k per map" do you meant continent or? Are you counting each continent have 3 maps as it looks like that in your math.

And yea 6k per continent sounds reasonable... consider each continent is 8km x 8km

Last edited by Sunrock; 2012-08-10 at 03:27 AM.
Old 2012-08-10, 03:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Darthkorr
Private

Originally Posted by Salidin View Post
On PC? or a single platform

Nope across all 3 platforms? sure

For a game that breaks sales records opening night every year it launches it doesn't have a million people playing? Are you joking? It sells MILLIONS, thats with a S. Your telling me less than half dont go home upon day 1 purchase and play? Im sorry to tell you but more than a million play at 1 time. now 3-6months after release. you'd prolly be right. but at LEAST launch day and the following week. After that prolly not.

Hate COD btw. thought i'd let that be known. not defending the game just using it to make a point.
Old 2012-08-10, 03:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Boomhowser
Corporal

Im gonna say yes its possible purely because everyone else is saying no!!
seriously thiers no reason why It can't hit the mark, F2P, looks damn good, has lazors & floaty tanks, good teamplay mechanics, looks damn good, Epic battles to be had, you can wear zebra striped camo, ohh did I mention it looks damn good..
So be positive and think Yes PS2 will reach 1 million players... be proud be positive be thier!!
Old 2012-08-10, 03:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Salad Snake
Staff Sergeant

^I agree, we should be positive guys. Remember that this is also a completely new genre for a large percentage of video gamers in general, there is a bit of unpredictability in that.

Originally Posted by Darthkorr View Post
For a game that breaks sales records opening night every year it launches it doesn't have a million people playing? Are you joking? It sells MILLIONS, thats with a S. Your telling me less than half dont go home upon day 1 purchase and play? Im sorry to tell you but more than a million play at 1 time. now 3-6months after release. you'd prolly be right. but at LEAST launch day and the following week. After that prolly not.

Hate COD btw. thought i'd let that be known. not defending the game just using it to make a point.
While that is certainly true for a retail title, the F2P sales model looks a bit different. Starts out with much less players normally, but gains quicker because word of mouth effect is much more important for a F2P. Just look at LoL's numbers over time.

Last edited by Salad Snake; 2012-08-10 at 03:56 AM.
Old 2012-08-10, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Ivam Akorahil
Sergeant

Originally Posted by greenberetdelta View Post
call of duty
never has (btw CoD sucks )

flame hat on
Old 2012-08-10, 05:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Darthkorr View Post

That would be true if every one in the world lived in the same time zone. But there is like 9 hours difference between central europ and the west coast for an example. So when some people log in others log out.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion