Important Question ! - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where to come when the sun is shining and you have nothing else to do.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-14, 05:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
afex
Contributor
Major

in regards to the original post, if a bunch of people got together to take bases at nite, the hotzones would be very obvious.

when action is happening on the map, hotzones appear to show every team whats going on.

so i'm sure if one empire had 30 people at an empty base and that was the only action going on in the entire game, then everybody from the other two empires would RUSH to that base after it had been breached.

and in the 15 min it takes to hack a base, i'm sure there'd be lots of people there
Old 2002-12-14, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Comspec
Private

SmokeJumper posted on the workings of automated defenses in the official PlanetSide forum.

The short of it is that you need to be in control of the Amp station for the turrets to be automated and shoot at vehicles only. Else they'll just sit there.

Also, you need to deploy motion sensors for the turrets to target infantry. However, if the infantry is walking, turrets won't lock.

Here's the link to the post.
http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000727.html
Old 2002-12-14, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Serbitar
Sergeant

matter of fact is, that when 1 faction is planning an of time assault, it WILL have more players than every faction who is NOT. Thats an easy calculation.

"Nomral load of offtime players" + "offtime assault force" >> "normal load of offtime defenders"

The problem in this discussion is that you can say:

OK theyve captured all the bases. So what ? We just get them back.

Then you admitt that capturing bases doesnt mean anything. (or not very much) Which means that motivation will not be very high (doesnt matter if you capture anything, when even capturing all the bases doesnt matter anything).

The point is: Capturing bases MUST do something, to keep people motivated. But THEN you have the "offtime assault" problem.

And if its all about fame ? Then Ill go and do some 20 offtime attacks, capture hundreds of bases and be the most famed super hero of the day.

So its all about motivation and offtime attacks.

My solution would be:

1st: Make sure that base assault takes enough time that no force could capture everything in an offtime attack.
2nd: Award a faction win if a faction controlls some ammount (has to be balanced) of all the bases for some time (say for 10 hours) . And then restart the game (not concerning BEPs but base belongings)

That keeps people motivated and keeps offtime attacks at bay.

"May the light shine at thee in the dark !"
R| Relativity
Old 2002-12-14, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

2nd: Award a faction win if a faction controlls some ammount (has to be balanced) of all the bases for some time (say for 10 hours) . And then restart the game (not concerning BEPs but base belongings)
NO
Old 2002-12-14, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Serbitar
Sergeant

NO
What I like most in this answer is the elaborate discussion of the topic and explanation of the reasons why he comes to his conclusion !

R| Relativity
Old 2002-12-14, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

There is a reason i quoted that, its the only thing i'm talking about. Noone is supposed to win, its been that way for as long as planetside has been around. As soon as you put in a victory condition everybodys lives revolve around that and nothing else.

and god forbid someone just states an opinion, no, you have to get into the useless arguement.

Last edited by Incompetent; 2002-12-14 at 12:09 PM.
Old 2002-12-14, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Serbitar
Sergeant

Ah I found something. most of the things I wanted to say were already discussed here:

http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...=&threadid=526

But I agree with the poster that there should be something like an distant victory condition . . .

Second: I think this is a forum for discussion. just stating opinions helps nobody.

R| Relativity
Old 2002-12-14, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Hamma
PSU Admin

I think victory conditions would kill the persistant world. And ruin the fun IMO. Its supposed to be a never-ending war.. its not going to be boring because your empire/team will still claim victorys, and suffer defeats in one way or another. Its just a matter of how people play the game, and what areas are of more strategic value to launch forward assaults.

I dont think your ideas are all bad however, but I would not want all of planetside to be like that, perhaps specific servers with victory conditions.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-14, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
�io
Lieutenant General

Well the best thing is to do like any other subject discussed here. Wait till we play the game.
Old 2002-12-22, 03:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Sputty
Banned

Normally there's enough people on the server always(I sometime sleep from 8:00 AM to 5-10:00 PM or if not then I'll sleep 4:00AM - 2:00 PM-ish so I think that there'll always be people on defending important areas. The worst that could happen is an outlying base of little importance is taken so it's taken back the next day or something. If they put in a ruel if a base is taken there must be a certain amount of time until it can be retaken then they attack a different vbase and surround the old base so that anyone defeding the new base will abandon the hopeless battle.
Old 2002-12-22, 04:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
quiet
Staff Sergeant

Something I didn't see mentioned was the way less BEPs and CEPs are given when there are fewer opponents around. It doesn't solve the problem but shows the Devs are thinking about stuff like this.

Since every side could do offtime attacks it would be fair even if it did turn out to be a very effective strategy. It would just give insomiacs and Euro outfits an edge. Logging on to find out the enemy had launched a massive surprise attack and now held extensive territoy wouldn't make this game any less fun. IMO
Old 2002-12-22, 06:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Flashingfish
Forbidden Leader

Originally posted by quiet
Since every side could do offtime attacks it would be fair even if it did turn out to be a very effective strategy. It would just give insomiacs and Euro outfits an edge. Logging on to find out the enemy had launched a massive surprise attack and now held extensive territoy wouldn't make this game any less fun. IMO
Well..... there is a European server too you know.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion