Vehicle awareness - How much ammo have you wasted? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Got Gauss?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-09, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Canaris
Contributor
General

Vehicle awareness - How much ammo have you wasted?

I was playing planetside there with my brother using various vehicles, something cropped up that I thought could get fixed in the new one, unless you already thought of it.

"Fire ze cannonz!"

"We can't bro"

"VHY NOT!"

"I'm out of rounds, and stop talking like that"

The problem being not knowing how much ammo the gunners has used as the pilot, since it's your job to repair and rearm the vehicle it would be nice to know that you need to go do it.

Having a read out on the vehicle/aircrafts HUD would be helpful displaying not only your ammo count but also for any other weapons systems.
You also might make a clear visible distinction between yours and theres so as not to confuse matters.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-01-09, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ArmaGetItOn
Private

Re: Vehicle awareness - How much ammo have you wasted?

I'd imagine with the removal of inventories, trunks will also be removed, and so will vehicle ammo (replaced by unlimited vehicle ammo). Just speculation, though.
Old 2012-01-09, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by ArmaGetItOn View Post
I'd imagine with the removal of inventories, trunks will also be removed, and so will vehicle ammo (replaced by unlimited vehicle ammo). Just speculation, though.
I'd hope that isn't the case. Limited ammo can change how vehicles operate. If for instance, a plane has the choice of multiple rocket pods then some could have say 20 uses and another could have 4 depending on how the player wanted to fire. (Maybe single fire vs cluster rockets).

Especially for tanks. Spawning with say 50 rounds makes the shots count and getting supplies a priority. In a way it artificially limits the maximum damage a single person can do. (Spamming door ways from afar might just be a waste of ammo compared to more surefire shots). Forgot what thread this was in. There was a long discussion about limited ammo for vehicles and the implications.
Old 2012-01-09, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Redshift
Major

I imagine you'll have to go back to base to resupply, even if trunks are gone they'll still be ammo to deplete.

Back on topic, i'd say it was the gunners job to tell the pilot when he's out of ammo tbh :P
Old 2012-01-09, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
CutterJohn
Colonel

I see no reason the pilot couldn't have a little readout that showed remaining ammo. Be simple to implement, is logical, and in no way annoying/overpowered/useless/etc.
Old 2012-01-09, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea unlimited ammo would be really bad

I'm sure there will still be ammo it will just be obtained in a different way. It would be nice to see ammo for all seats but communication is also key I think.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-01-09, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by ArmaGetItOn View Post
lol hopefully they give infantry unlimited ammo hacks too if that's the case.
Old 2012-01-09, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Yea unlimited ammo would be really bad

I'm sure there will still be ammo it will just be obtained in a different way. It would be nice to see ammo for all seats but communication is also key I think.
They can still communicate about actual important stuff. An ammo counter, while important, is also a pretty small detail. I remember asking/being asked 50 times a night 'hows ammo?'. It was silly that there wasn't an ammo count for the pilot.
Old 2012-01-09, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
acosmo
Sergeant Major

well the kind of already fixed this problem by giving all the important guns to the pilot...
Old 2012-01-09, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Communication between driver and gunner is what separates the true cavalry drivers from the "OMG I WANT TO MAKE A BIGASS BOOM" crowd.

Plus, in PS1, drivers could check the ammo in the trunk when they retreated to repair (you should always keep some extra glue, CE, and your CUD in the trunk anyways, to secure your repair location).

I imagine in PS2, if the inventories don't stay, at least it'll still have depletable ammo in a tank ala BF style (30 rounds to start, drive near a supply crate to rearm).

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-01-09, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

You don't need a freeform inventory to have ammo count. C'mon you've seen FPS-s in the last 20 years, haven't you?
Old 2012-01-09, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Vash02
Major

That is a point, will we have vehicle trunks in PS2? it was kind of nice to just store a little ammo in the trunk of a basilisk you were riding around on.
Old 2012-01-09, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
That is a point, will we have vehicle trunks in PS2? it was kind of nice to just store a little ammo in the trunk of a basilisk you were riding around on.
yeah it'd be nice to bring a ammo atv out to a hilltop to resupply AV/AA heavy assaults on a hilltop
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion