Which PS locations should inspire the NEXT game? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 1,000,893...and you thought your grief points were high.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2010-06-24, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: Which PS locations should inspire the NEXT game?

ten times the amount of avatars the game has to keep track of, all moving individually and with the airship?
I figure if thats not coded correctly, there's gonna be a hell of a lot of lag whenever an airship battle occurs
Old 2010-06-25, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Furret View Post
ten times the amount of avatars the game has to keep track of, all moving individually and with the airship?
I figure if thats not coded correctly, there's gonna be a hell of a lot of lag whenever an airship battle occurs
I'm not sure what you mean with that first part.

Old 2010-06-27, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

when 13 players jump in a galaxy, the game doesn't actually have to keep track of the positions of the troops. They aren't able to move around in the galaxy, just shoot/drive/watch. The players in the galaxy also couldn't interact with the outside world (save for exiting the galaxy). Pretty much, the game only had to keep track of the galaxy (for example: Galaxy at point (364.9,247.2,104.6) and that the galaxy had 13 players in it.

In order for one of these fortresses, the game would have to keep track of all the players moving around inside a moving vehicle.

Lets say there's a fortress moving at a constant speed of 5 mph due north.
There's a player inside the fortress moving at a constant speed of 5 mph due south.
The player is moving at 5 mph relative to the fortress, but 0 mph relative to the ground.
Now lets say the player turns 180 degrees, and runs the same speed due north. The player is still moving 5 mph relative to the fortress, but is now moving 10 mph relative to the ground.

Okay, I just explained all that, but I think I'm wrong.

If you had the character's position modified at all times by whatever the fortress is doing, you could save a lot of processing time.

>.>
Old 2010-06-29, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

It isn't as complicated as you make it sound. The game engine already supports units 'riding' on moving vehicles. No significant lag was generated by this.

Old 2010-06-30, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

the only difference is that the people wouldn't be riding. They'd be moving around inside the vehicle
Old 2010-06-30, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Why would that be a difference? You aren't making any sense.

Old 2010-06-30, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

rawr! there's no easy way to explain it >.>\
Lets try a metaphor.
Okay, lets pretend there's a tube with 13 marbles in it. The tube can fit one marble sideways and thirteen marbles up/down. Once you put the cap on it, its nice and snug. If the tube started floating in a certain direction, how well could you keep track of each individual marbles position? Pretty well right?

Now lets say you have 500 marbles sitting on a tarp. Then four people pick up the corners of the tarp and start running with it, while flapping the tarp. How well can you keep track of each individual marble now? Not easily at all.

See what i'm getting at?
Old 2010-07-02, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

To a computer, there would be no difference. It can't use logical thinking. Every object is a variable it must keep track of independently.

Old 2010-07-04, 08:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

meh, i was just thinking there would be more variables acting on the persons position, but i'm not sure anymore
Old 2010-07-05, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Nope, riding around the continent on the top of a Vanguard is just as laggy as letting it mow you down.

Old 2010-07-13, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Sifer2
Major

Ah yeah the Titan mode was pretty fun in BF:2142. That game was basically the closest to a Planetside 2 we have had thus far though obvious it wasn't an MMO.

That would be the question is if the large mobile air bases could still function when you have hundreds of players instead of just around 60. I think they probably could.

However if they do them I hope they fix the two major issues Titan's had in 2142. The first was the bad FPS dip you would get when attacking one since when you land on it you have to suddenly load in all the ships indoor textures. Defenders would always camp the entrances an just mow you down during that dip lol.

The second was that when Titans were moving around there were physics glitches. For instance if your support guy an dropped one of those remote turrets in the right places you could push it through the floor or a wall when the Titan was moving. Then it would shoot people through them very annoying. It's why later in the games life server hosts just banned Titan movement which made the mode kind of pointless.

Last edited by Sifer2; 2010-07-13 at 07:30 PM.
Old 2010-08-14, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

So a few months of troubleshooting for airships and everyone's happy =D

And maybe the place you landed on the airship was at the top, and you slid down the side of the ship before you even saw any enemies. The game loads the indoor environment while you're sliding down, and you're safe from enemy fire.

I don't know why i do this, but my ideas always come in the form of 'seed->tree'
There are no middle stages where i'm still developing shit. It causes very confusing posts >.>

Okay, full layed-out version:

In order to board the ship, you have to make a very precise drop to the top of the ship. The top of the ship is very very windy, and as soon as you land you are knocked to the ground. Once you hit the ground, your weapons are automatically put away, because your character is spending his time trying to slide in the right direction (towards the chute that heads to the battle). Once you get to the chute, it drops you down toward the battle. This drop takes a variable amount of time, depending on how long it takes your computer to load the airship's environment. Then, once you land, you're good to go and ready to fight on the airship.
Old 2010-08-14, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

The airship environment would be like everything else in PS, fluid (well as fluid as it can be).

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion