Simplified PlanetSide - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: "My mom buys me the sports illustrated swimsuit issue" -Hamma
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-01-27, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Raymac
Brigadier General

Re: Simplified PlanetSide

As far as the OP, I kinda feel that if it's not broken, don't fix it. When it was CR5, BR25 max, the system worked great. It struck a real nice balance of veteran players having more options, but new players still being able to hold their own.

The problem of running out of that 'ding' leveling achievement feeling once you reached max BR could be solved relatively easily. In Call of Duty, you can Prestige which basically means you get a neat logo, but all your experience points are wiped back to 0 and you need to level up all over again. To add more incentive, you could unlock more Saved Loadouts for when you gear up. It works great in Call of Duty and really adds to the longevity of leveling.
Old 2011-01-28, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

I would heartedly agree about most everything here.

BR Should only allow you to use more equipment
CR Should be limited, Not just for OS's anymore plz
Skill should have everything to do with how good you are

I do hope however some sort of Economy system is implimented into the game, for things such as Better medpacks, Upgraded Backpacks, Vehicle Upgrades, Small Arms attachments and upgrades, better armor. Similar to implants in that you can only use 2 maybe 3 upgrades (Maybe 2 personal 1 Vehicle) that do VERY specific things. For example, one upgrade Will add a scope and another a silencer to your Gauss rifle. The Scope increases your accuracy but Decreases ROF, the silencer lowers your damage but you no longer shoot tracers, and the sound is decreased. 1 Vehicle upgrade would be + 10% speed - 10% armor on Lightning tanks ONLY. It doesnt do this to all tanks or ground vehicles. Another vehicle example would be the reaver, 20mm cannons are replaced with Dual 35mm chain guns like the liberator but its rockets are removed. Or its cannons are removed for a 2nd set of rocket pods (Twice the salvo but no guns and only 1 reload) Something to keep someone guessing.

These upgrades would be purchased via ingame economy, Money is earned through kills and SEP. Support Experience pays well. Merits give bonus's (5000 kills with guass rifle!!! YEY Heres 20k ingamecreds) Upgrades have either a limited spawn ammount (For example you can only spawn the gauss scope 100 times before you have to buy it again) or a limited time.

Some upgrades are better than others, but dont last as long and cost more. For example, a barrel for the Bolt driver increases its damage by 10% (Resulting in one shot agiles, 2 shot rexo) it is purchased and spawns the upgraded rifle 20 times for you (if you want to choose vanilla Bolt Drivers you still can ofc). But an upgrade that is twice as expensive only increases the Bolt Drivers damage by 12.5% and can only spawn the upgraded rifle 10 times. No stacking is allowed. Stat increases should not increase a stat in infantry combat by anymore than maybe 15% (Exceptions for stuff like hacking speed, # of mines able to be put out, heal speed?)

Vehicles should be a bit different. Upgrades weapons means CONSIDERBLY less ammo (or no defensive weapons, double 150mm Vanguard Cannon reload is WAY slow, 20mm cannon removed, ammo reduced to 2 - 3 magazines) Or considerbly less armor (Reaver with dual 35mm vulcans have less armor than a mossie but are slightly faster than a normal reaver)

This does allow A level 20 BR guy who's been playing too long and too much DOES indeed have an armor / damage / rof / accuracy / extra barrel on the tank / more speed but he also has 1 a disadvantage to that advantage. More firepower should be limited to 175% of stock DPS for instance, and lower hitpoints or ammo or a combination of things.

The cheap low class items should be available to most everyone almost 99% of the time. No one should be so broke they cant afford atleast 1 basic upgrade. More skill or More support or more time = better upgrades.
Old 2011-01-28, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Hamma
PSU Admin

They did a few of those things in APB and it ended up that the higher ranked people were completely overpowered compared to everyone else with their various weapon upgrades. It probably could be done better, but it makes me a bit leery to see this tried in PlanetSide.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-01-28, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Tikuto
Major

No economy. Just can not be arsed with things that distract me from what the game is all about and, plus, PS:1 didn't have an economy. Adding an economy would change the game significantly and just may not be the same 'ideal PlanetSide' we loved.

Progression is an Empire-wide direction, not an individual direction. Economy and upgraded items also means greater imbalances for everyone. Individuals who want to become a role in PlanetSide is their own personal progressive direction.

Economy = more complicated: less simplified.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-01-28 at 10:35 AM.
Old 2011-01-28, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
MgFalcon
Captain

I really want to see is better advantages for support classes, i.e. better exp for people to help out fellow soldiers instead of only certing med and repair to heal themselves. Depending one's squad/platoon size the greater the exp for the support roles, leading to more certing of a support classes and more likely to have squad and empire cohesion. I can understand the cert for self-medication on killwhore status, but using group dynamics I feel that having good support exp would result in greater teamwork.
Old 2011-01-28, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Barbapapa123
Private

I'm for an economic component. Upgrades, customization, and any sort of aquired wealth gives the player the sense of progression other than leveling-up certs.

items or weapon upgrades like a helmet that takes two shots to the head before you die, boots that permanently raises running speed, or a gun that offers no quantum leap in damage output but has a different feel to it(AK-47 vs m16 something like this). The items, devs need to avoid implementing is equipment that statistically boost attributes like HP, armor, accuracy, and ETC...
Old 2011-01-28, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Bags
Lieutenant General

I know if they add an economy to PSN I won't be buying. If I wanted an MMO with an economy I'd play WoW.

Economy leads to PVE elements such as NPCs. PS does not need NPCs.
Old 2011-01-28, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Barbapapa123
Private

not true, an economy could take many forms and it is possible to have no PVE or NPCs.
one way is equating actions such as taking out a tank/asst. in taking it out, killing people, and other activities that help achive the objective to points that will act as currency to a hypothetical store. the only problem is balancing the items in the store so that even a bigginer could take on a cr5.
Old 2011-01-28, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Gogita
Master Sergeant

No upgrades, please no upgrades.
Everyone should have to possibility to access everything of his or her empire from the moment he or she begins playing like it is right now. Not that you can use everything at the same time, but that, for example right now, no weapon or vehicle is locked for you if you got the cert points for it (with the exception of BFR's, don't like BFR's).
One of the beautiful things in Planetside is equal chanced for everyone to kill everyone and that everything depends on skills or teamwork.

One huge problem of the concept of upgrades when making kills is that when someone makes a lot of kills, it gets something that makes him kill people even easier, which again gives him another upgrade and so on. Upgrades give people an advantage and grows exponentially, something that apparently happened in CoD 4 if I have to believe the stories (sentry gun-bomber-helicopter-nuke)
Old 2011-01-28, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Economy? Fuck that. That means GOLD-FARMERS, GOLD-SELLERS, and GOLD-SPAM. Do you really want to get bombarded with broadcasts and tells from some stupid piece of shit in Korea or China screaming "HEY FRIEND U BUY PS GOLD NOW 100CRED = $15" every fifteen fucking seconds? HELL no.

Put an economy in PS:N and I'm not buying. The end.
Old 2011-01-28, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Krushiev
Private

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Economy? Fuck that. That means GOLD-FARMERS, GOLD-SELLERS, and GOLD-SPAM. Do you really want to get bombarded with broadcasts and tells from some stupid piece of shit in Korea or China screaming "HEY FRIEND U BUY PS GOLD NOW 100CRED = $15" every fifteen fucking seconds? HELL no.

Put an economy in PS:N and I'm not buying. The end.
Well said.

An in game economy has no business being in an FPS, whether it's 4 v4, 16 vs 16, or 600 vs 600... If there are any upgrades, it should be unlocked. PS did it well enough.

Other than that, skill, and teamwork (and maybe a nice internet connection) should determine the men from the boys. Not an item shop, not in game creds, and definitely not the availability of farmed creds / gold / whatever.
Old 2011-01-28, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Hamma
PSU Admin

I don't think an "economy" necessarily means the standard MMO type economy. It could be points you spend, similar to cert points.

Old 2011-01-28, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Bags
Lieutenant General

Oh ok, if we just rename it something else it's all good right? An economy by any other name is still an economy and has no place in shooters.
Old 2011-01-28, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Hamma
PSU Admin

Having character points to spend is not an economy, it can't be traded it is your own. An economy relies on production and distribution. Individual character points you spend to upgrade various things is not an economy.

Last edited by Hamma; 2011-01-28 at 02:21 PM.
Old 2011-01-28, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

We have character points. They're called "Certification Points" and you earn them with levels of battle rank.

Mark my words, ladies and gents. If you put in an economic factor, whether it's gold or plat or NTU-bucks, and you allow it to be traded, there will be little hordes of guys named Wang Chifen and Chen Fuxian sitting in some crappy little cafe in Shandong province in China, getting paid a dollar-fitty to play the game for ten hours a day. And G-d forbid the fuckers ever figure out how to illegally duplicate aforementioned commodities.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion