Galaxy Gunship: Done Right - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Will the staff get mad at reading all these cheesy quotes?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-08, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Re: Galaxy Gunship: Done Right

i think units like the gal gunship promote coordination as seen in the video i linked.

(forgive for necro)
Old 2012-01-08, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Why don't you just "see beta" on this one. "Galaxy customisation" suggests that Gunship mode will barely have so much firepower.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-01-09, 02:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
LongBow
Sergeant

yeh - have to be honest I don't really see the need for the gal gunship to get a redesign by the sounds the "liberator gunship" is more than filling its niche.
Old 2012-01-09, 02:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Canaris
Contributor
General

Never had a problem with the GG to be honest, as soon as it's seen on the battlefield its an AA magnet, and its easy to engage from the air in a Wasp sitting at reasonable missle range you can stand off pumping missles at it out of cannon range

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-01-09, 03:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Elude
First Sergeant

Galaxies should never be able to be turned into gunships, but liberators should!
Old 2012-01-09, 04:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I'm curious also what is wrong with them also I haven't seen them around a ton since I got back into things.
Ever seen three flying around in a low to mid pop fight and literally obliterate everything? That reminded me at least off a group of OP-BFRs after their release: it completely dominates the field and it made it impossible for our outfit to drive Thunderers and Deliverers (our main form of going around), as even a squad of deliverers could not compete with it: every 3 seconds one of us died. You stood more chance against 10 buffed Reavers, at least you could down three or so of those and try to escape to safety of AA cover as the individuals would break off pursuit.

Basically everyone in the SOI has to switch to AA, just because of three to five people in a single unit (sixth is irrelevant as he can't aim anywhere properly). That makes it incredibly easy for the rest of said empire to push.

Once you are camped inside, you cannot break out anymore because it'll hover over to the side that was weakly defended by the campers, obliterate you all and your AA MAXes before they get a shot off at it - especially since you'll be busy fighting the ground forces first and foremost.
Old 2012-01-09, 04:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by acosmo View Post
i dunno bout you guys but this actually looks/sounds very fun
Hushpuppy and The Baconator - YouTube
Yeah Acosmo, but fun for who? If it is only fun for the Gunship people, DON'T IMPLEMENT IT.

OP BFRs were fun for some people too...
Old 2012-01-09, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
ringring
Contributor
General

Gunships are ok, but I'd never have gunner is both sides. One side facing the enemy and never plough through the middle of a fight.

2 flak turrets take a GG down easily.
Old 2012-01-09, 06:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Ever seen three flying around in a low to mid pop fight and literally obliterate everything? That reminded me at least off a group of OP-BFRs after their release: it completely dominates the field and it made it impossible for our outfit to drive Thunderers and Deliverers (our main form of going around), as even a squad of deliverers could not compete with it: every 3 seconds one of us died. You stood more chance against 10 buffed Reavers, at least you could down three or so of those and try to escape to safety of AA cover as the individuals would break off pursuit.

Basically everyone in the SOI has to switch to AA, just because of three to five people in a single unit (sixth is irrelevant as he can't aim anywhere properly). That makes it incredibly easy for the rest of said empire to push.

Once you are camped inside, you cannot break out anymore because it'll hover over to the side that was weakly defended by the campers, obliterate you all and your AA MAXes before they get a shot off at it - especially since you'll be busy fighting the ground forces first and foremost.

Why doesn't your Squad/Outfit simply recall load up the HART with AA maxes and then spank that GG's ass from behind?
Old 2012-01-09, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I tend to fly a lib like a gunship already, so yeah, we don't need no stinkin GG.

Old 2012-01-09, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
SgtMAD
Captain

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
Why doesn't your Squad/Outfit simply recall load up the HART with AA maxes and then spank that GG's ass from behind?
because its easier to cry and whine until you get it nerfed,welcome to the #1 reason PS failed
Old 2012-01-09, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
1. We never did use MAXes as we do spec. ops. and amphibious assault as primary. For AA, I only had Flaklet myself which I regularly switched for Phantasm. All other certs in infiltration and engineering, ATV, AMS and Ground support, expert hacking for resec. I don't even have AV or HA. The rest of the crew was either similarly specced (DrBuggs), or had some aircav.

So where am I going to get AA MAXes?

2. Besides, our role as an outfit was fielding enough ground vehicles to preoccupy enemies, hit and run from the side. A group of AA MAXes is not going to flank a bridgehead full of Magriders, our primary food. So let's all stop the Gunship (right, as if we'd take him out) by dropping in the middle of their terrain, become instant Reaver and Magrider food, in the meantime letting the Magriders roam to clear our bridgehead.

Ehr no. Thanks.

3. A group of AA MAXes does not fight its way to the lobby of a camped base, let alone is able to get out and get a lock onto an aircraft (Sparrow, yeah right, AA... Falcon would be better!). Before you can get enough shots off everyone is dead to the GG spamming the doors with mortar fire, supported by a few dozen troops, a couple airchavs and possibly tanks.

4. So you say recall and drop in somewhere else, that leaves the defenders 5-12 men short for a while, since we'll probably be on a HART timer for 3 minutes next to needing to recert, group, plan attack. And then die to the first AV capable units that spot us HART into the vicinity of a base fight.

5. That GG will be back in 3-4 minutes because it'll never be on a timer of consequence and its crew will be bound to the Dropship Center.

No really, fun. Not to mention the situation when the Dropship Center is also the capital of the continent and next to the only chokepoint of the continent which you have to cross. Ceryshen bridge? No really, that's going to work out great.

Sorry for being so cynical, but the GG drained the last bit of fun I had in vehicular combat after BFRs and Reavers buffs.
Old 2012-01-09, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
That one noob
Sergeant

I'd prefer that the Galaxy would have a skill tree for itself, with stuff branching off for armor transport, ground attack, and regular troop transport. I can see the Galaxy taking the role of the Lodestar seeing as no one even mentions the damn thing as well as the fact that not many people used the Lodestar often. It could be similar those Republic Gunships from Star Wars, the variant that carries the AT-TEs
Old 2012-01-10, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
beekergunship
Private

Little known fact, but the actual gunships had armor. It was heavy and probably wouldn't help other than psychologically, but it was there (until weight reduction programs). So that got me thinking, why not have the gun side armored or power shielded and have the other side a little weaker. That puts balance in the game. A GG wouldn't be able to stay on station long without support, or if it couldn't keep the enemy corralled. But if you had reavers covering your three o'clock, you could hang.
Old 2012-01-10, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
acosmo
Sergeant Major

sounds great, beeker.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion