Animations need a lot of work! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Runs Great on the Internet.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-19, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
EVILoHOMER
Major

Animations need a lot of work!

I want to bring this up because animations can really make a game attractive to new people and if they look bad then it doesn't give a great first impression. For example if you have a trailer and you see really poor animations, you tend to not want to give the game a chance if you don't know anything else about the game. They're often the one thing that are forgotten about, along with lighting and by the looks of it Planetside 2 has lighting well and truly covered, it looks amazing.

You don't have to do Team Fortress like animations which are so detailed, fluid and just amazing but they do need to be at least the level of Battlefield or call of Duty. These games haven't really done anything that stands out, but that is the point because they don't stand out and look natural. Right now Planetside 2's stand out because they look really bad and I just hope they're going to be given the work to bring them up to par.

I'm not complaining and saying the game looks crap and SOE suck or whatever. I'd just like to bring up the point about the animations as they do get forgotten about a lot, especially in FPS games where you don't see your character.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Animations need a lot of work!

One word. Alpha.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
TheDrone
Sergeant

What REALLY worries me are the "jumping" vehicles.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Guys come on, don't be so retarded. Its Alpha footage, and its been stated. Try and find something constructive to talk about. And not moan about known issues that SOE will be completely be aware of.

Your better than that.

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2012-05-19 at 09:16 AM.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Algo
Corporal

Animations are some of the things that really get perfect at the latest moments, everything else must be final before you get into really fleshing them out otherwise you're wasting time over and over again
Old 2012-05-19, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

I forget what it was, but I think if the thing I am forgetting gets changed then all the animations need to be changed. To protect from that they put in placeholders. So the fact that they are doing animations for the minigun seems like a good sign.
Old 2012-05-19, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
EVILoHOMER
Major

I know it's Alpha, I made a point of that and made a point that they're also something that often gets forgotten about or ignored like lighting in games.
Old 2012-05-19, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Furber
First Sergeant

Old 2012-05-19, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bags
Lieutenant General

Old 2012-05-19, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Irish
Private

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post
Guys come on, don't be so retarded. Its Alpha footage, and its been stated. Try and find something constructive to talk about. And not moan about known issues that SOE will be completely be aware of.

Your better than that.
although its alpha i dont think its something to NOT to discuss, i never thought animations were a strong point for SOE, granted i have faith that they will rival the other strong aspects of this game. I think we can see the framework here, and from what ive seen, its looks.......kinda goofy. kinda got a bowlegged running style, and an interesting combat gait.

are these boards not to discuss? taking the disappointed parent approach to someones post is the opposite of "constructive"
Old 2012-05-19, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Irish View Post
are these boards not to discuss? taking the disappointed parent approach to someones post is the opposite of "constructive"
The game isn't done yet. We know that. They know that.

This amounts to biting the hand that feeds you.

This is a place to discuss things, but I don't believe there is enough value in this particular topic to warrant it's own thread. It could be better discussed in one of the other TB footage threads.

Thread merge maybe?
Old 2012-05-19, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post
Guys come on, don't be so retarded.
I feel like every post I make in this forum has to be prefaced with this these days.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

While it may still be Alpha, the devs have shown that this is the stage that they are working on the animations. It would make proper sense to give them feedback on it now right while it still has the ability to be changed before the larger crowds see it?

I tend to agree. I think my first post on this forum was asking for more "umph" in gameplay and gunplay and the biggest way to do that is through their animations. They still have a bit to go in my opinion on this front.

But the other visuals are fantastic. Graphics and lighting are ace, just don't spoil it with bad animations.
Old 2012-05-20, 06:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

One thing about animations that I don't like is the slight comic look to it. If I compare running animations to BF3's I see the player models ducking down when running just like real soldiers in war would do. In PS2 the are running upright like in TeamFortress... same for jumping.

I don't know if that's a design decesion are just not yet been properly made...
Old 2012-05-20, 06:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I for one am not concerned one bit by how focused they are on detail. You only have to look at the cockpit screenshots to see the kind of experience they want to deliver.
Have faith.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion