Aircraft Flares - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sometimes I sniff my sisters panties.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-20, 02:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Toppopia
Major

Re: Aircraft Flares

Originally Posted by Timealude View Post
The smaller aircraft already have advantages like more mobility and higher speeds. Im sure you have seen the newer ones in the TB video, and that phoenix rocket could barely hit those scythes. I understand where your coming from having all aircraft balanced but it would seem useless to have them on aircraft that already have the ability to dodge missiles.
I don't remember much from the video but you would only be shooting other aircraft at close range, so they shouldn't beable to out run at close range, but thats why adding flares should decrease speed, so you are choosing longer fight times or slower flight times.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
I don't remember much from the video but you would only be shooting other aircraft at close range, so they shouldn't beable to out run at close range, but thats why adding flares should decrease speed, so you are choosing longer fight times or slower flight times.
My bold. Lol. In PS1 most times I was a grunt and got killed by an aircraft the range was less than 20 metres. Feckin' hover spammers

It'll be nice to have a weapon available to me to have some chance of discouraging that behaviour in pilots, flares or no flares.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
All aircraft vehicles in PS have afterburners (and from TB video it seems they will be in PS2 as well) and all you would have to do is if you had a lock warning (Which again i am just assuming) all you have to do is when you hear it you just have to punch the afterburners and it would run out of firing range. As a matter of fact, I can kinda see how flare could be abused by fighters as well. Take for instance, You are in a fighter and you go in for a ground strike run. You can fly in at top speed launch your flares while your launching missiles at your target(or chain guns) and then fly off without a starch. I know you could have it remove afterburners if you have flares but at the end of the day, I think people would rather after burns to get the hell out of there rather then having flares that would prevent only a certain number of rockets from hitting you.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Mechzz
Major

One of the options Higby mentioned a while back was that missiles would have video-homing. So unless the flares include the ability to project a huge jug of beer onto my sights to distract me, the Reaver/Mossy will still need its afterburners to get away from me

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 2012-05-20, 03:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
SixShooter
Captain

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
I'm not sure this is a good idea given how easy it is to resupply an aircraft

I could just keep spamming flares during my attack run and never be harmed by missiles, the only downside being that I would need to fly back to an air tower/Sunderer more often
This is why I love that the lightning and MBT's will be able to spec with AA flak guns. I don't like using lock in weapons for that exact reason. It's too easy to loose a lock due to flares or just loosing line of sight or whatever. The skyguard was one of favorite vehicle to gun when we were running armor columns.

Old 2012-05-20, 07:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Hypevosa
Sergeant

So why not have heat seaking (countered by flares) and radar guided (countered by chaff) and put it on the pilot to switch between them. This way groups of soldiers are rewarded for coordinating different launcher types, and pilots running with at least 1 other partner are also rewarded.

Adding a laser guided option to allow the skill of the infantry man to determine the outcome by forcing them to keep painting the target would also be an option.
Old 2012-05-20, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Bromaxulon
Private

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
The current system is just like every generic flare system, recharging ones. (AFAIK)

If you got to choose between flares that recharge at the rate of which an AA missile is reloaded or a limited amount of rapid fire flares, which one would you prefer?
In TBs. vid it showed flares and a number indicating remaining uses. I assume you can run out of flares and would then need to go resupply, BF used a recharging system, but PS has increased scale and actual logistics rolls for people to fill so recharging flares don't seem like a good fit, while resupply at bus's or air terms seems to fit more with the oa style.
Old 2012-05-20, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Novacane
Private

If radar guided anti-aircraft missiles are going to be used along side IR guided ones, you need a detector so you know what type of missile is being launched at you.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/69703675/1...rning-Receiver

This thread is probably getting a bit out of the realm of what PS can do haha
Old 2012-05-20, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Hypevosa
Sergeant

It really wouldn't be THAT hard. Any basic bird in future should have the same basic systems we have now, if not more, for detecting missile locks, and for deploying counter measures (Flares and chaff). You just let the pilot know what kind of lock it is based on what lights up in their HUD or console, and then they need to deploy the right counter measure to shake it. You shouldn't have infinite stores of the stuff, but a decent number of flares and chaff none the less. Reward working as a team by having squads of mixed heat and radar missile launchers have a higher chance of success, and by having fighter pilots who aren't lone wolves also benefit from eachother's counter measures. Deploying a flare will divert all heat seeking missiles within X meters, and deploying a chaff will divert all radar guided missiles within X meters.
Old 2012-05-20, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Mechzz
Major

Flares, chaff, pah! I'll still be coming after the air jockeys with my side-graded video-homing warheads.
Old 2012-05-20, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Hypevosa
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
Flares, chaff, pah! I'll still be coming after the air jockeys with my side-graded video-homing warheads.
Do those have a distance limit on them then? Or are they really high speed making misses mean a big turn around?
Old 2012-05-20, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Hypevosa View Post
Do those have a distance limit on them then? Or are they really high speed making misses mean a big turn around?
I assume it'll be the same range and speed as the other missiles. Just unjammable is all. No second chances after a miss, etc.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Any mention of air to ground missiles? Not the dumb unguided rockets but something like a Hellfire? I mean if they are talking about having ground vehicles with an entire array of surface to air options, seems a balance needs to be made and have those in the other direction as well.
I haven't seen air to ground mentioned at all in this regard. Seems a reasonable request though. I had certainly assumed that air to air missiles would be lock on of some sort.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Any mention of air to ground missiles? Not the dumb unguided rockets but something like a Hellfire? I mean if they are talking about having ground vehicles with an entire array of surface to air options, seems a balance needs to be made and have those in the other direction as well.
be careful what you say, haha if they give that sort of power to air all the peeps are gonna go back to the thread about weather aircraft are OP or not.
Old 2012-05-20, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Novacane
Private

A couple guided air-to-ground missiles would be nice. Have them lock just like the ground based ones to. Would be based on the pilots skill to hold the craft steady on the target to acquire and hold the lock before launch but have them do a decent amount of damage on a good hit. Then if you wanted to have a counter, have an unlock to allow vehicles to get a degree of counter to the system, either from the missile tracking or the lock itself.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion