How much dammage can gens take? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: give me back my spoons!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-02-08, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

100+ hits with the knife, thats all you need to know.

http://mrchevys3.blogspot.com/

Living is easy with eyes closed.
Old 2004-02-08, 03:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Lol, I diddn't even know a knife could kill a gen all by its self.
Old 2004-02-08, 04:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Mag
Lieutenant Colonel

it can't... unless you're insane and/or have 5 hours to waste.
Old 2004-02-08, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by PhoenixTypeX
I'd say the easiest way is you and a pal with infil go in loaded up with boomers, then you have to make no trips to equiment terms or lockers and it goes alot smoother with some1 there to cover your back then you can cover theirs
From what I here you need 11 boomers. So 2 infs could only carry a max of 10 boomers. Plus if you want it all at once you need at least 1 jammer...

Also, put your stats into your sig, not your post.
Old 2004-02-08, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by SandTrout
Someone that can either A) Get to the generator wearing reinforced armor and have enough time to set up 11 boomers, or B) sneak in with infiltrator and lay 11 boomers (at least 7 of which must come from an inventory terminal or locker) is not doing special opperations? You have a very narrow view of special operations.

BTW: the only reason you might think that a lot of people use this tactic, firefly, is because I just tend to do it a lot. I fall into the type B category above.
No I have a realistic view of special operations, since I work with the spec-ops community in real life. There's nothing special about the method used to one-shot a generator. You're either attentive and you're savvy enough to do it, or you're a retread idiot who gets killed fifty thousand times. I wouldn't call super-skilled pilots "special ops", so I don't consider teams who specialize in generator blasts as special ops either.

It takes a little skill, a little common sense, and a little simple understanding of game mechanics to successfully infiltrate a back-line base, hack a terminal and slip into rexo with a full load of boomers, and then take down a generator. It's done more than you realize. During mass invasions, where there's a defined combat front, every time I click on the map I automatically scroll to interlink bases and tech plants. And more often than not, they have a downed generator.
Old 2004-02-08, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

In this game, special ops is pretty much defined as behind the lines actions intended to disrupt the enemy's front line actions.

What would someone have to do for you to declare them special ops?
Old 2004-02-08, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
shaizan
Contributor
Corporal

I agree with SandTrout...Firefly what would you deem Special Ops in Planetside if not an infiltration to down a key piece of equipment? I admit that there are not many things in Planetside one can do that feel like anythign other than frontline combined arms warfare. In fact I wish there were more things. My PC limitations prevent me from being an effective infantry person in a large Zerg. Thus, it would give me more to do.
Old 2004-02-08, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Seer
Major

Real life special ops are difficult and undertaken by highly trained individuals. Real life pilots are intelligent, focused, and skilled. Real life snipers are....well, I don't know anything about real life snipers, but I'm presuming they're pretty unique individuals too.

That doesn't mean that a person flying a reaver isn't, in the context of planetside, a pilot. It doesn't mean that a person using a bolt driver isn't, in this context, a sniper. So a person who is undertaking missions behind the front line is, in this context, performing special operations. It really is that simple, and I think Flak is loading his vocabulary down with a little too much real life baggage.
Old 2004-02-09, 03:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
PhoenixTypeX
Corporal

"From what I here you need 11 boomers. So 2 infs could only carry a max of 10 boomers. Plus if you want it all at once you need at least 1 jammer..."

You can still have a jammer if the other person you are with doesn't take a REK and I was talking about in the old days thats how me and a friend used to do it

"Also, put your stats into your sig, not your post."

I don't think that really matters and I'm not breaking any rules so I'll put them there if i like..
Old 2004-02-09, 04:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

The Dragonwolves have a unit bases solely on things we've noticed our empire does not do well. We're called the SOAR Unit (Special Operations Ant Recon). We do all these things with only 5 ppl. Why only 5? Smaller unit means easier command and response times. If a base needs an ANT, we grab a Galaxy/lodestar and an ANT and head for the nearest WG. I once did ANT runs all night long. Free and easy XP.

While Gen Busting is not an appreciated (see: EXP loved) strategy, the 5 of us who make up the SOAR unit delight in knowing our skills are being used to really be a stick in the ass to all our enemy forces.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2004-02-09, 04:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Candle
Private

no. of boomers: 8 I usually use 9 to 12 just to be sure, sneak into the base with liberal use of crouch-walk and EMP grenades, find a locker if I'm being patient, and load up 4 boomers and a REK, lay the boomers, put teh triggers in the locker in return for 4 more boomers, repeat so I actually have 12 boomers down - I want to be sure of killing it! - then finally return to the locker, load up with a jammer or 3, some ammo, a gun and a REK, then lob a jammer, and find a nice coener to hide and then remove those silly people who come to repair the gen (normally with a BANK, a glue-gun, and an inventory FULL of glue - what IS the point?!)

but for complete and quick destruction, a Comet MAX will have no trouble taking it down - this is normally as part of a group of 5 - 10 people who are going to camp the gen room - you know, infiltrators to give advanced warning of incomming, 3 AI MAX' an AV, and the rest either adv medic or eng. - works a treat!
Old 2004-02-09, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Jagd
Major

Use decimators, much faster than all that inventory diddling.
Old 2004-02-09, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by SandTrout
In this game, special ops is pretty much defined as behind the lines actions intended to disrupt the enemy's front line actions.

What would someone have to do for you to declare them special ops?
Originally Posted by shaizan
I agree with SandTrout...Firefly what would you deem Special Ops in Planetside if not an infiltration to down a key piece of equipment?
If gen-busting were some super-difficult task, then I'd be impressed-with and warmly regard those who call themselves "special operations" outfits. But since it's easy and one guy with (as I said) a little skill, intelligence, and common sense can do it, then it's virtually old-hat. That's why Jesica defected to VS from TR, because she simply wasn't special anymore now that anyone with infil, rexo, hack, and CE can do it (or a lesser combination thereof).

What do I deem special operations? I don't consider a one-man gen-buster as special operations, nor do I consider an outfit full of them to be a spec-ops outfit. I consider a small squad of highly-specialized coordinated people to be special operations, first of all. A fully-self-contained, self-supporting team that can heal, rez, repair themselves and still whip ass. A team that can perform guerrilla strikes, commando raids, small-unit tactics, and have the means to do just about anything without a major support effort from outside. If they can hack it, jack it, kill it, blow it up, and otherwise cause massive havoc all on their own without a Zerg at their side, then I'm impressed and will readily consider them to be PS-versions of "special operations".

Originally Posted by Seer
Real life special ops are difficult and undertaken by highly trained individuals. Real life pilots are intelligent, focused, and skilled. Real life snipers are....well, I don't know anything about real life snipers, but I'm presuming they're pretty unique individuals too.
Real-life snipers are pretty bad-ass, when they are used properly by a commander who isn't afraid to use them. They have to be independent, responsible enough to be trusted as solo operators, and dedicated to personal kills in the line of duty- like licensed premeditated murder. Not indiscriminate kill-the-enemy combat, which is a whole other subject. Snipers have to get into position, study the objective, wait for their target, take a shot, then haul ass without being detected. Unlike FPS scope-campers, real-life snipers don't fire fifty million shots from one location. If a sniper fires twice from the same position, it's a rarity.

Your presumption is accurate.

Originally Posted by Jagd
Use decimators, much faster than all that inventory diddling.
Decimators aren't one-shot ge-busters. There's a warning that allows the enemy to converge on your position, possibly somewhat prepared. As in, when I see "Warning, this facility generator is under attack!" I either head down to kill the SOB (generally TK haha) or I make for the closest terminal to grab a repair gun. An infiltrator-CE dumping a Jammer on a stack of Boomers gives absolutely NO warning unless someone caught the infiltrator.

Last edited by Firefly; 2004-02-09 at 05:30 PM.
Old 2004-02-10, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

To be honest, firefly, your description of special ops is what regular planetside combat is supposed to be. In real life, you're still refering more to special forces than special ops. Special forces are the Navy SEALs, Delta force, Green Berret and whatnot. These forces may proform some special opperations, but their emphasis is more on maximum combat effectiveness with minimal forces. In PS, special forces would be 1 squad that goes and gains control of bases before the enemy can react or preventing them from reacting, usualy through direct confrontation with the enemy(kills)

Special ops realy falls more into the CIA's realm of espionage. This includes assassinations and sabotage that even special forces are not trained to do. Special ops covers the soloist infils whos role in Planetside is sabotage and diversion. They compleat objectives that would be unfeasable(for whatever reason) to put more than one person on the job. They avoid direct confrontation with the enemy at just about all costs because knowlege of their existence is a threat(at least in the area they are working in).
Old 2004-02-10, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Jagd
Major

Ok, here's something to tickle us back on topic: Who cares what firefly "considers" special operations?

And while decimators alert people to the fact that you've started dropping the generator, with two people at work there still isn't enough time to get up there and stop them before the deed is done. Not only that, but 2 grunts have a far better chance at fending off any engineers who come up to fix the thing than the cloaker with his empty inventory who was oh-so-stealthy he took the generator out in just 4 short minutes of clickity-right-clickiting.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion