Empire Specific Sniper Rifles - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where Whores are Born.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-02-08, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Sniper rifles are universally similar, differing only by caliber. You have anti-personnel sniper systems like the M24, the H&K PSG, and occasionally the Barrett .50-cal.

Then you have anti-materiel sniper systems like the Barrett .50-cal and a 20-mm big-fuckin-gun. Anti-materiel sniper systems are too valuable to use versus standard soft targets, and thus are used against vehicles, very heavy armor, etc. They are loud, unwieldy, have a big flash, and are more of a hazard to the operator since anyone in a mile radius will be gunning for him once they hear that roar.

My point is, NO. No empire-specific sniper systems, the Bolt Driver is fine. If you put a one-shot kill weapon in the game, you will so fuck up the balance that this game will degenerate into sniper-fests. Just like almost every other FPS. I think that the bolt driver is the single most balanced weapon in the game. Snipers and air combat fighters are the true displays of real skill, because they are the only common-pool-only weapons where skill is an issue. You either suck, or you don't. You either survive and make your kills, or you don't. There are no NC/VS/TR alternatives to throw the balance off.
Old 2004-02-08, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Well the BD is fine With me, but its more of a strategic sniper.
We could have empire Specific ones that are more of a tactical kind of rifle.

Something for that Range between MA's effective range, and the range when your getting close that it becomes hard to hit people with a BD.

Basicaly a sniper version of the MA wepons, Like the SF sniper from AA:O

I say keep sniping the same for now atleast

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2004-02-08 at 12:52 PM.
Old 2004-02-08, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
GreyFox
First Sergeant

I also think the Bolt Driver is excellently done!

But I just want more differences and more empire specific stuff.
Old 2004-02-08, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

AP and jammer rounds for the current Bolt Driver might work. AP would do 125 against armor.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2004-02-08, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
DDSHADE
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

the bolt driver is perfectly fine as-will be(the ammunition box increase)

we dont need more sniper tools, the only acceptable thing would be a sniper pistol with about a 6 shot magazine that does a small range of damage but shoots fast...........oh wait they have this almost, its called a repeater and all it needs is the range mag implant
Old 2004-02-08, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

You can snipe quite well with an AMP.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2004-02-08, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Spee
Colonel

Empire-specific Sniper weapons.

TR - Penetrator - Fires a 5-round clip in under half a second. The 5 rounds pierce armored targets with such great ability, that the Target, in addition to not knowing where the attack came from, also loses its ability to fire for 1 second, due to the equipment trying to process how to properly route electrical signals through the vehicle, with the addition of 5 large lead objects lodged inside of it, now.

VS - Enhanced Lancer - The lancer, now with two barells, and, a secondary fire mode to charge the entire clip into a single, highly damaging shot. Tradeoff for this weapon over the lancer is the absolutely abyssmal damage to shields. I dont know how they would program this, but, if they could, it would provide a huge incentive. Lancer would pierce shields and deactivate them while doing meager damage to the actual armor, whereas the E-Lancer would almost bounce straight fof shields, but do sizable damage to vehicle armor.

NC - rail Driver - A 9x3 inventory item, that, when equipped, must be deployed. Deploys into a 15-foot-long railgun. The railgun, like the lancer, takes half a second to charge, has only one round per clip, and a slow reload time, HOWEVER, the damage to armored targets is so INSANELY high that it makes up for it. As in, 3 hits to own a magrider. Horrible COF Bloom if aim is adjusted, slow COF settle time.

Common Pool - ESDD(ElectroStatic Discharge Device) - Chare time of 5 seconds, however, acts as an enhanced jammer by disabling weaponry systems, radar, etc, for 3 minutes, thus, effectively, removing the tank from battle until it can recooperate. Huge ammo boxes, small clip size.
Old 2004-02-08, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Spee
NC - rail Driver - A 9x3 inventory item, that, when equipped, must be deployed. Deploys into a 15-foot-long railgun. The railgun, like the lancer, takes half a second to charge, has only one round per clip, and a slow reload time, HOWEVER, the damage to armored targets is so INSANELY high that it makes up for it. As in, 3 hits to own a magrider. Horrible COF Bloom if aim is adjusted, slow COF settle time.
Yeah thats i good idea except for the part were it has to be deployed, and can't fit in a holster. Its utterly useless, that mag would be able to own you so fast, becasue you would have to deploy and you would be a sitting duck to the highly accurate Mag turret

It doen't even fit what a rail gun would do

If you have a railgun that 14feet long and has the right power going to it you would be fireing the projectile at hypersoinc speeds, Not oly would it own a Mag in 1 shot but the projectile(if it didn't just ionize after it came out of the barrle do to air resistance) would continue one and go though the other mag behind it, and make a crater the size of a car after it came out the other side of the second mag.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-08, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Spee
Colonel

Originally Posted by Rbstr
Yeah thats i good idea except for the part were it has to be deployed, and can't fit in a holster. Its utterly useless, that mag would be able to own you so fast, becasue you would have to deploy and you would be a sitting duck to the highly accurate Mag turret

It doen't even fit what a rail gun would do

If you have a railgun that 14feet long and has the right power going to it you would be fireing the projectile at hypersoinc speeds, Not oly would it own a Mag in 1 shot but the projectile(if it didn't just ionize after it came out of the barrle do to air resistance) would continue one and go though the other mag behind it, and make a crater the size of a car after it came out the other side of the second mag.

Its a sniper rifle. You have the range advantage. The mag has the maneuverability to escape. the 9x3 was thrown off the top of my head - The largest rifle-slot-equippable size, is what I wanted.

And yes, WITH THE RIGHT POWER, it would. However, this is a standalone, unpowered, railgun, that uses altered Gauss technology (read:Magnets) that multiply force going into it by the sum of the magnetic "checkpoints" (4 magnets + 2 lbs of pressure = 8 lbs of pressure.) Thus, why I used the 15-foot railgun dealy - The longer it is, the more magnets you can fit onto it, thus, the more power. if it were powered, this would be horribly unbalanced.
Old 2004-02-08, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
curved
Private

I agree that there needs to be more empire-specific weapons -- but I dont think they should try to compete with the bolt-driver, as that is just going to lead to unbalance. Maybe they should add a catigory of weapons that is included in the sniper cert called "battle rifle." A battle rifle is usually very similar to an assault rifle, except designed for long range combat as opposed to general purpose use. So it combines the qualities of a sniper rifle (the range and accuracy) and an assault rifle (auto-fire and clip size). Just as an example, you start with a guass rifle, put its clip size at 20, extend its range and tighten its starting CoF, give it 8x zoom, and reduce its refire by about 50% and you get an entirely new weapon that acts sorta like a sniper rifle, and sorta like an assault rifle. It wouldnt be overly powerful, but it would be very useful.

Last edited by curved; 2004-02-08 at 02:38 PM.
Old 2004-02-08, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Deadlock
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Empire specific sniper rifles would be a good idea as long as its not used for infantry. I always thought a spec. assault type of effectivness could be added to it. Something like mild explosive heads, You shoot a tank, it attaches to the tank and in a few seconds explodes... not hugly damaging it but becomeing an annoyance.

Just an idea, but whatever they would decide to add to sniping should be less useful than the original bolt driver, whatever it is should be used to aid the BD not replace it.

Most of my enhancements tend to lean towards the common pool side. Like an os targeting gun where u work in tandum with your sl to precisly aim os's. Or to add attachments to the original BD like a tripod that quickens your targeting but locks you down like the tr max's anchoring. Also i thought it would be neat to add an armor for the sniper like a guiney suit (sp?) so that when you're up on that hill someone cant just scan the horizon and make you out.

Anyhow, just some daydreaming I've done while waiting for targets
Old 2004-02-08, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by curved
I agree that there needs to be more empire-specific weapons -- but I dont think they should try to compete with the bolt-driver, as that is just going to lead to unbalance. Maybe they should add a catigory of weapons that is included in the sniper cert called "battle rifle." A battle rifle is usually very similar to an assault rifle, except designed for long range combat as opposed to general purpose use. So it combines the qualities of a sniper rifle (the range and accuracy) and an assault rifle (auto-fire and clip size). Just as an example, you start with a guass rifle, put its clip size at 20, extend its range and tighten its starting CoF, give it 8x zoom, and reduce its refire by about 50% and you get an entirely new weapon that acts sorta like a sniper rifle, and sorta like an assault rifle. It wouldnt be overly powerful, but it would be very useful.

Thats excataly what i was going to type up (but 50% is a bit much perhaps 25-40%)

Its the perfect BD backup weapon, for when an enemy gets to close for the BD to be effective.

Old 2004-02-08, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

I have another idea for empire specific sniper rifles

NC- Bolt Driver (painted blue and gold)
Kills any non-max in two hits

VS- Bolt Driver (painted purple and teal)

TR- Bolt Driver (painted red and black)

each with there own unique logo

im so creative.......
Old 2004-02-08, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
curved
Private

50% was just for use as an example -- 25%-40% is cool with me.

Originally Posted by Rbstr
Its the perfect BD backup weapon, for when an enemy gets to close for the BD to be effective.
With much more ammo!
Old 2004-02-08, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
curved
Private

Just having some fun :]
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion