just a thought for weather - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stealing your sigs since 2002.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-17, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
shortbushero
Private

Question just a thought for weather

this is just a thought and something to think about, please don't take it too harshly. and if the devs saw this i think i would be pretty cool

i had this thought of an ion storm, a weather affect that would be pretty intense. i could see this affect as something that would be a very harsh weather effect to fight in. things that could happen would be like communications and electronics like c4, sights, flashlights, headlights etc not work properly, lightning strikes that could hit a vehicle and disable it for a certain time making flying very hard, if the lightning strikes the ground maybe disable vehicles/ shields, and more along the lines of that.

this is just an idea, what do you guys think?
Old 2012-05-17, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Gogita
Master Sergeant

Re: just a thought for weather

While it sounds realistic, I do not think it will add much depth in the game, rather only annoy players if these weather events happen. Wouldn't you be annoyed if you are in a tank killing people around you and then suddenly you're killed because of a random dice rolled lightning strike?
Old 2012-05-17, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Duddy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gogita View Post
While it sounds realistic, I do not think it will add much depth in the game, rather only annoy players if these weather events happen. Wouldn't you be annoyed if you are in a tank killing people around you and then suddenly you're killed because of a random dice rolled lightning strike?
I personally would find that kind of randomness to be a nice touch but I think most people will fall on the side of not wanting random things to happen.

Certainly if they make certain have predictable affects on players and you can plan around that then it still quite cool but still puts control in the players hands, which is what I believe people dislike about the random possibility.
Old 2012-05-17, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Toppopia
Major

We already have a violent weather thread somewhere that has good ideas and such.
Old 2012-05-17, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Atheosim
Captain

I think that violent weather is a good idea only if it encourages different styles of play. So while this geographical formation is normally excellent for air power and dangerous for ground forces, an ion storm would make maintaining air superiority very difficult and therefore force the battle into a different form. I think it would be an interesting once in a while thing that could help spice up gameplay.
Old 2012-05-17, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Could have some kindof system based around certain resources causing ion storms, but being super valuable. Changing the combat up abit, then everyone is back to bullet basics.
Chinese New Year 1 / Chinese New Year 2 A Comic about mediocrity.... and bizarre stuff.
Old 2012-05-18, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by shortbushero View Post
i had this thought of an ion storm, a weather affect that would be pretty intense. i could see this affect as something that would be a very harsh weather effect to fight in. things that could happen would be like communications and electronics like c4, sights, flashlights, headlights etc not work properly, lightning strikes that could hit a vehicle and disable it for a certain time making flying very hard, if the lightning strikes the ground maybe disable vehicles/ shields, and more along the lines of that.
This is a very cool idea. I like the idea of weather challenges that make each battle a little different, and planning your tactics based on what weather may move through the area over the next few hours.

We already know that fog and possibly heavy rain and sandstorms will blot out sniping, spotting, and long-range combat, which I think is a really intriguing element rather than a downside.

I'd really like to see something like an ion storm roll through a courtyard every now and then (maybe once a week) that would disable active cloaking capabilities, radar, AA/AV tracking, etc for an hour or so.

Last edited by headcrab13; 2012-05-18 at 02:27 PM.
Old 2012-05-18, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Thomas
Corporal

The idea of an ion-storm is interesting but I think I would reduce the time to maybe 25 minutes. This way it gives enough time for it to effect the current battle in a sizeable way but not over-staying its welcome for too long.

I also think if such a storm is put in place it should be very visible as it moves towards the battlefield so people can prepare their tactics for what is about to occur. It would be pretty cool to watch the storm coming closer as a battle rages on.
Old 2012-05-18, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bags
Lieutenant General

AS long as things aren't randomly disabled. Fuck RNG.
Old 2012-05-18, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Toppopia
Major

I have some ideas about weather patterns:

1) Imagine fog that reduces visibility to 10 metres, that would be almost no vehicle usage and people on foot would have to keep a sharp eye out for people and not get lost.

2) I just thought of something probably annoying to some people but sounds awesome, Electric Storms that mess with equipment so it makes rader go fuzzy, communications become staticy and your HUD might fuzz a little, that would be an awesome anti vehicle weather.

3) Maybe if you are lucky then you could fly through a huge cloud that slowly engulfs your plane and creates a tunnel of electric storm that teleports you to some random location on the map, and if you hit the edges of the tunnel then you blow up because of the force of the winds.
Source: http://www.bermuda-triangle.org/html/bruce_gernon.html
So if it happens in real life it most certainly could happen on a weird planet we know nothing about.

Could make flying lots of fun.
Old 2012-05-19, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
DarkApothecary
Private

I really like the idea of fog it seems like it will bring a great element of stealth and suspense.

The ion storm sounds really good but it has it be fairly short and only affect certain parts of the map.

There's probably going to be rain but I'm not sure so I thought I would mention that.

For the the jungle/swamp continent there should be a fire ( but I don't know how that would work) that burns through a small part of the forest.

And for the ice/snow there should be a blizzard.
Old 2012-05-19, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bluecewe
Private

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
I think that violent weather is a good idea only if it encourages different styles of play. So while this geographical formation is normally excellent for air power and dangerous for ground forces, an ion storm would make maintaining air superiority very difficult and therefore force the battle into a different form. I think it would be an interesting once in a while thing that could help spice up gameplay.
Indeed. Random dramatic weather effects would add too much luck to gameplay, and offer no real benefits.

If the weather effects were fairly lengthy - say a few hours - it would certainly force players to realign themselves strategically, adding a further layer of tactics.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion