Music - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Want some? GET SOME!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-10, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Music

There are many who muted the music in Planetside but for me it took a good couple of years for me to eventually get sick of the music. Even then I generally replaced it with my own or turned it back on for fights; the music gave a really good feeling with empire specific music that held the spirit of each faction.

I'd like to see music have a lot of effort put into it in PS2, obviously I don't expect them to go and get Hans Zimmer to make them a movie score but I'd like to see each Empires music get increased character and to really use 3 different music styles to go with the increased diversity of the 3 Empires in the sequel.

If I had to suggest themes I would have something Military-Industrial for the Terran Republic, something like the Soviet National anthem - powerful music with a lot of choir and authoritarian feel. Either that or some Taiko drums, tracks like this one from Shogun 2 would be excellent for battling in an open area

Other good music would be something similar to Bear McReary's Battlestar Galactica soundtrack, it's pretty powerful and militaristic - it does portray a fallen empire (humanity) struggling against the Cylons after all

As for the New Conglomerate I would go out on a whim and give them music with Middle-Eastern themes since they see themselves as freedom fighters combating against oppression, although this may not be the same as the situation in the Middle East people still correlate the Middle-Eastern music with insurgents and other 'freedom'-fighters/terrorists which is basically what the NC are, something like the GLA Soundtracks from C&C Generals would be awesome for the NC

The VS are slightly harder given their technocracy and alien tech, I don't know what music would fit these, the only music I could think of would be the Protoss soundtrack which really gives the feeling of an ancient, technological species which matches the VS's roots in the Vanu ancients.
Old 2011-07-10, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Aractain
Major

Re: Music

VS need dubstep.

No seriously.

Like this maybe.

Last edited by Aractain; 2011-07-10 at 10:39 AM.
Old 2011-07-10, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Vancha
Colonel

I love the C&C generals one.

I'd like to hear tribal/ethnic drums and percussion with electronic everything else. Atmospheric rather than something rock or grandiose (though obviously you'd need something with a fair pace during battle)
Old 2011-07-10, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
xcel
Corporal

For me..music is the last thing I care about. I would rather the devs be working on content rather than music.
Old 2011-07-10, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Aractain
Major

Also if you have played Emproer battle for Dune or whatever it was called, the Harkkonen music music fits the TR so perfectly (imo, like a rock version of the SOI music).

Ill see if any is on youtube.

Heres the main theme... err with some anime girl? I duuno, just listen.

Old 2011-07-10, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
VS need dubstep.

No seriously.

Like this maybe.

YouTube - ‪Chasing Shadows - Amirah‬‏
Proper Drum and Bass please! :P
Old 2011-07-10, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

I could imagine charging into the front line in an armor column with this playing.

Old 2011-07-10, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

i remember usin the trick to replace the in game music files everytime I loaded up PS. Doin it that way your music would be triggered by the same events as the in game music. Aka what zone you were in, if it was an enemy soi, etc.

I had alot of the LotR soundtrack which worked well. Those themes playin as i ran around the jungle areas of searhus were very cool and really enhanced the epic feel, especially as the music changed to the Mount Doom themes when i got into the crater. Pure win!
Old 2011-07-10, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bags
Lieutenant General

Not gonna lie, I never had the PS music on.
Old 2011-07-10, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by xcel View Post
For me..music is the last thing I care about. I would rather the devs be working on content rather than music.
Music can add a hell of a lot of atmosphere and emotion to a game, watch say 'The Thing' or 'The Shining' without their soundtracks and they lose a massive amount of the tension and atmosphere. Obviously gameplay is vital but music is good too.
Old 2011-07-10, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post
Music can add a hell of a lot of atmosphere and emotion to a game, watch say 'The Thing' or 'The Shining' without their soundtracks and they lose a massive amount of the tension and atmosphere. Obviously gameplay is vital but music is good too.
I was under the impression almost no one listened to the PS ingame music.
Old 2011-07-10, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Then they need to do a better job this time.

Music is a huge part of the atmosphere of a game. It can really do a lot to make it feel epic if done right. Imagine rewatching the LotR movies but having no music. Totally kills it. Music is key in games, needs to be done right and also needs to be presented by the game right by making the things that que up or change music be dependant on whats goin on. Just overlaying a constant stream isnt that special but if it changes depending on where you are, and whats goin on then it can really add an epic feel.
Old 2011-07-10, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
MooK
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
And your impression was wrong.
Old 2011-07-10, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Tikuto
Major

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
That is wonderful. No more Barney shit. Here they come with a new face!

I totally agree with this association. It believe it works wonderfully though some musician may know better. I agree because I see Vanu Sovereignty as an immediate evolutionary entity with the understanding that this future (in PlanetSide) has no religion. It is true that the idea of God is part of our nature, and that's what intrigues me for the idea of Vanu Sovereignty: faith in evolution. Though I don't know what the woman says in this tune, it strikes me as highly religious-like, and so fittingly works with me for the VS.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-07-10 at 12:23 PM.
Old 2011-07-10, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Redshift
Major

When the original music got dull don ferrone released an updated set and you could inject them into the game after you logged on, i spent years playing to the more awesome versions
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion