News: ESF Update Plans via Kevmo - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dial "M" for Maurader
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-07-03, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
snafus
Sergeant Major

Re: ESF Update Plans via Kevmo

So many people hating on the current flight mechanics on PSU. I personally love how PS2 is different then any other flight based game. There really is so few games that allow the kind of freedom and creativity you can have with PS2. This game is special and in a really good way. As it rewards fast thinking and twitch based skills while flying an ESF. And allows the user to ignore the laws of physics that hold back other flight sims. Simply put, adapt and enjoy the amazing flight aspect PS2 offers.

Old 2013-07-03, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

You see interaction with a real physics model as limiting and stifling to creativity. I see a guy who's never actually learned ACM, and doesn't know the astounding breadth of virtuosity available when maneuvering in a fluid with energy and angle-of-attack constraints. Truly, my friend, I feel you're the one who's been held back.

PS2 flight is fun. But don't hate on those asking for a bit more. They know something you haven't had the opportunity to pick up yet.
Old 2013-07-03, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
You see interaction with a real physics model as limiting and stifling to creativity. I see a guy who's never actually learned ACM, and doesn't know the astounding breadth of virtuosity available when maneuvering in a fluid with energy and angle-of-attack constraints. Truly, my friend, I feel you're the one who's been held back.
Meh, you can take your pretension back to Il2.

"breadth of virtuosity?" seriously?

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2013-07-03, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Quite serious. More notes, better composers. But not everyone likes classical, so whatever.

And I'll take my pretension back to WT, thank you very much. IL-2 was too early to capture a ton of MP share, sadly.
Old 2013-07-03, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
snafus
Sergeant Major

PS2 flight is fun. But don't hate on those asking for a bit more. They know something you haven't had the opportunity to pick up yet.
Hah the limitation that mimicking real flight physics makes for another cookie cutter and boring flight sim. By simply ignoring the restraints that are usually bound on players you give more freedom to the player base. So instead of copying 60 year old dog fighting tactics we can actually come up with some new fresh and in my opinion much better experience. So adapt to the freedom that PS2 gives you and enjoy it or go back to the Flight manual sims you all seem to adore.

Old 2013-07-03, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I enjoy it a great deal. I just wouldn't call it "freedom". "AB reverse, pivot, shoot" is the black and white television of dogfighting. Maybe that's more interesting for people who grew up in the age of WASD. Maybe change is frightful. Who knows?

The point is, there are things that can be done to bring both sides of aerial combat to the table without diminishing either. I'm having difficulty understanding how someone could be against that - especially in a forum culture where "Easy Mode" is used as a pejorative.
Old 2013-07-03, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Hobnail
Private

Plus one vote for the loadout tab to open when you stop on a reload pad / ammo tower. I feel like that's been sorely missed this whole time.
Just allow vehicles to "b-deploy" on appropriate pads to allow them to re-arm.
Old 2013-07-03, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
CrankyTRex
Staff Sergeant

I enjoy it a great deal. I just wouldn't call it "freedom". "AB reverse, pivot, shoot" is the black and white television of dogfighting. Maybe that's more interesting for people who grew up in the age of WASD. Maybe change is frightful. Who knows?

The point is, there are things that can be done to bring both sides of aerial combat to the table without diminishing either. I'm having difficulty understanding how someone could be against that - especially in a forum culture where "Easy Mode" is used as a pejorative.
I'd agree. I find the dogfighting extremely restrictive because stopping to hover really eliminates the effectiveness of a lot of evasive maneuvers. It's just so much easier for a pursuer to simply come to a hover and blast the crap out of the poor shmuck that is doing all manner of aerial acrobatics thinking he's actually being followed.
Old 2013-07-03, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
SternLX
Sergeant

Originally Posted by CrankyTRex View Post
I'd agree. I find the dogfighting extremely restrictive because stopping to hover really eliminates the effectiveness of a lot of evasive maneuvers. It's just so much easier for a pursuer to simply come to a hover and blast the crap out of the poor shmuck that is doing all manner of aerial acrobatics thinking he's actually being followed.
That only works in open air. If your like me and do a lot of flying on Amerish your always hiding in the mountains and have many means to escape. Try hovering shooting there and you'll quickly loose sight of your target.
Old 2013-07-04, 05:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
PredatorFour
Major

I enjoy chasing down reavers/mossies that are backwards thrusting whilst shooting at me as it is more of a challenge but can yield better results than normal dogfights.

Just aim behind them, chase them.. get them! Thing is they have to come to a stop mid air which is dangerous! If you get a good amount of bullets into them as they are reversing...theyre dead meat when they finally run out of AB fuel and just hang there.

However the changes to ESF armour is a game changer. I want to know if seeing a nose gun clip can take down an ESF in the update, does that mean we will kill infantry quicker with the nose gun too??? Or ESF armour will be weaker in general??? I don't understand that maths of this yet.

Last edited by PredatorFour; 2013-07-04 at 05:40 AM.
Old 2013-07-04, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
CrankyTRex
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by SternLX View Post
That only works in open air. If your like me and do a lot of flying on Amerish your always hiding in the mountains and have many means to escape. Try hovering shooting there and you'll quickly loose sight of your target.
Sometimes. You have to be actually near the mountain to do that, and it's pretty easy just to fly high and aim down.
Old 2013-07-07, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by snafus View Post
So many people hating on the current flight mechanics on PSU. I personally love how PS2 is different then any other flight based game. There really is so few games that allow the kind of freedom and creativity you can have with PS2. This game is special and in a really good way. As it rewards fast thinking and twitch based skills while flying an ESF. And allows the user to ignore the laws of physics that hold back other flight sims. Simply put, adapt and enjoy the amazing flight aspect PS2 offers.
Quoted because it's totally worth being mentioned again.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion