Planetside 2 on PS4... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The movie.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > Server Forums > Briggs (AU)

Old 2014-05-14, 04:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
STOMPIE
Private

Planetside 2 on PS4...

Hi Guys, and girls

I am brand spakin new to this site, the game and how to play it. Infact, i have not yet played it. I am an avid console player (PS3) and i saw that this fantastic game is coming to the PS4....very soon.

A little history about me. Im from Hamilton, NZ. My gaming career has always been console based. Starting by completing the Gran Turismo series, then on to the last 3 years of Call of Duty (dont hate). Needles to say, im bored now of the COD franchise and need something fresh, new and exciting and i think PS2 can provide that. Only time will tell.

My question to you is simple. How many of you playing Planetside 2 on PC, and who have a console, will actually try it out on the PS4? Yes im interested to know as ill be playing it on the PS4. Yes, i have a PC but its not a gaming PC and Ide rather keep it that way. I am very excited to see how successfull this game ports over to the PS4.
I have so many questions, like:

Will the PS4 users be able to use the current PC servers, or will they have their own?
Will the profiles across both platforms be able to use the in game currency across both platforms?
Will characters created on PC be able to be ported over to PS4??
Will all the detailed setting be available for the PS4 version?

I dont mean to bring the whole PC/Console issue up as personally i dont think its worth discussing, but its obviously going to come up as im sure many of you believe Planetside 2 is a PC creation and should stay that way. And i can see it from that perspective. However, im looking forward to it and ready to embrace it in a console format.

So, anyone on PC considering playing it on PS4 when it comes out, would be great to hear from you so maybe we can keep an eye out for one another when it drops.

Cheers guys
Old 2014-05-14, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: Planetside 2 on PS4...

"spanking"

Personally I won't be playing on the ps4, don't own one.

Frommy knowledge the best answers to your questions are:
1. No, the ps4 and PC environments will be seperate.
2. Don't know, although the environments are completely seperate it may be that a single account can be used for both and therefore station cash is held in a single wallet.
3. No. I believe this has been said although I couldn't point you at the quote.
4. Yes. The ps4 will be a faithful copy of the PC version. (there is a graphics setting called 'ultra' which is not available to PC player unless they manually change the ini options file but that apart ..... A big difference between PC and PS4 is that PS4 is a standardised bit of kit and therefore the developers don't have the same type of problems in coping with diversity that they do on the PC version.

btw I would say it would have been better to have posted in the main discussion forum rather than briggs to get a wider viewing.
Old 2014-05-14, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
STOMPIE
Private

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.
You are right, in the general discusion may have been better for responses but posting in Briggs narrows down the pool to the server/region I would most likely play on. Playing on console i would sometumes be placed in lobbies in America or Europe and the lag/latency i would suffer was unbarable!! Im geussing its similar with PC and playing on servers outside your region??

Anyway, thanx fir the advice and taking the time to read and post to my questions.
Old 2014-05-14, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by STOMPIE View Post
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.
You are right, in the general discusion may have been better for responses but posting in Briggs narrows down the pool to the server/region I would most likely play on. Playing on console i would sometumes be placed in lobbies in America or Europe and the lag/latency i would suffer was unbarable!! Im geussing its similar with PC and playing on servers outside your region??

Anyway, thanx fir the advice and taking the time to read and post to my questions.
I think planetside is a little more forgiving on ping that other shooters.

I'm in UK and in ps1 I often played on a server in E. coast US and in fact I've played recently after it was moved to W. coast.

Quite a few UK people played on E. coast servers and similarly for US players playing on EU server, based in the Netherlands.

Back the I know that Oz players used to play on a W. coast US server. All in all I would rule out playing in a different zone. Give it a go and see how it feels.
Old 2014-05-14, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
STOMPIE
Private

ringring, thanks for that mate. I think the porting of the game over to PS4 is very exciting. The console Playstation community has been waiting for something like this on this scale for a long time. Its going to be interesting to see exactly what will be the same/different between the two platforms? I have watched many hours of Youtube vids to get myself familier with strategy, weapons, environment etc. Obviously they have all been on PC and look really good. Ive also seen video on all the intricate options available for PC users. I wonder if the PS4 players will have such deep options. After all, we have limited button remapping options.

I cant wait for E3 where PS2 will be available to play on PS4. There will be many watching and no doubt the PC community will be eager to see the result of their game on effectively whats been their nemisis platform...lol (I dont subscribe to the PC vs Console debate...they both have their merrit.)
Old 2014-05-15, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
ringring
Contributor
General

As far as I can tell at this point there will be two differences between the version.

The ps4 version will have the UI changed to take account of the gamepad.

The basic game itself will be as identical as they can make it but updates will happen more quickly or more frequently on the PC version because of the extended QA that ps4 requires.

You could say that the PC version will act as a beta for PS4.
Old 2014-06-13, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
STOMPIE
Private

Hey guys. SO to update post E3. I have been fortunate to have had some correspondance on Twitter with some of the Devs (or people in the know. I cant remember their nams right now).

I know most of the PC players wont give a Shit about how, why or when anything about PS2 on PS4, but for those console players who do want to know, and do have an interest in playing this game i will do my best to keep us updated. Add to this thread as you please.

So, i saw a very short video on Twitter today of what the touch pad on the PS4 controller could be used for. In this particular vid, it was used to rotate the character in a menu. I know that isnt interesting to anyone really but what was also visible was teh persons hand on the controller. What is showed was the action it took by the finger to initiate this action. The touch pad reacted fluidly, accurately and was crisp. Good news to see how sensitive and accurate the touch pad can be and bodes well for other integration into the game as no doubt it will be used in other menus.

The other bit of info, and slightly more concerning with a comment i recieved over Twitter regarding a picture that was posted.

The picture was that of PS4 controller with the button configuration. The button layout was incomplete but most of the assigned roles for each button were there. then came the concerning part.
I posted a question to the auther of the picture about whether there will be custom button configurations available, like most other FPS games have. I received a reply that said someone else would reply, which they did. There reply can be summerized to this "We want to concentrate on making sure the default layout is ready for release"

This comment concerned me for one particular reason. That is, that the picture of what is most likely going to be the default button config, that was posted is not what i use. And its not what many people use. Having the availability to change the button layout, even through presets is vital. As a console player for over 10 years, since at least the PS2 there have always been presets to change certain buttons available.

Dont get me wrong, im sure they will include them, i just hope they will at release and not later on down the track which seems to be a trend with PS2 and upgrades.

PS: The picture of the controller button config was for infintary only.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > Server Forums > Briggs (AU)