Is anybody else suffering from burnout? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: making the internet better one shell at a time.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-02, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
BNuts
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: Is anybody else suffering from burnout?

I just hope they dont release the Beta right when I move this summer.

Overthrown / BNuts - PS1

Old 2012-04-02, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

I was way more excited earlier, but the more they talk about the game, the more buckets of cold water get splashed over my hopes. Right now I'm just waiting for Beta, or launch, or whatever. It'll either be awesome and I'll be happy, or it won't and I'll be sad.
Old 2012-04-02, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Dir
Private

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
I was really looking forward to PS2, especially the Beta release because I like to think that I'm going to get in. But it's taking too long and I'm kind of getting over it now.

I still like the class screenshots every week but it's not really enough to keep me going.

Is everybody still super excited and drooling over their inbox to see if they get "that" email or are you all getting a bit bored?
The anticipation of the event is quite often more enjoyable than the actual event but eventually that leads to speculation...positive speculation. That hype has killed game after game for me so I've learned to be very sceptical of sequels of both games and movies. The developers have killed many games that I was looking forward to...in recent memory is Supreme Commander...the only game I felt to be a true successor to Total Annihilation...never saw it coming...killed by consoles for the mentally retarded. Stronghold killed twice in a row just for fun....Homeworld 3 still hasn't happened. X-com? Nope...believe it when I see it...and it won't be Xcom of old. All had great marketing and regular updates but huge FAIL. The only hope I have left is Black Mesa but with these guys I know they are re-creating the same experience I had 12 years ago down to the finest detail, every box, corridor and light switch and adding more. They are more like historians and I find great comfort in this because it means I get to step into a time machine and visit the past...whenever it gets released...but there is zero worry or concern that it won't be exactly what I'm expecting.

Your best bet is to just re-subscribe and jump into the old game with all your video settings maxed out to keep your mind busy and forget about the new game. This could go on for years and my mind is too fragile to obsess over something that I may never end up liking at all. After-all it could very well be your last chance to experience Planetside of the past...once it's turned off it's off for good....until Planetside 3 maybe? At the very least Sony will be setting the bar quite high for the next big successor and that alone could change everything...maybe even kill consoles? I dream of a day when PS3 and Xbox get thrown on the shelf next to the Intellivision, Atari 2600 and Colecovision.
Old 2012-04-02, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I've been on this forum damn near everyday since Smed first posted that Vanguard pic over a year ago. I should be burning out right around the time when beta hits.
Well, it seems that they timed their marketing campaign PERFECTLY for you! I guess I have some ADHD or something and get bored more easily than you...
Old 2012-04-02, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Dir View Post
The anticipation of the event is quite often more enjoyable than the actual event but eventually that leads to speculation...positive speculation. That hype has killed game after game for me so I've learned to be very sceptical of sequels of both games and movies. The developers have killed many games that I was looking forward to...in recent memory is Supreme Commander...the only game I felt to be a true successor to Total Annihilation...never saw it coming...killed by consoles for the mentally retarded.

OMG! YES!

Stronghold killed twice in a row just for fun....
YES!
Homeworld 3 still hasn't happened.
Tragic
X-com? Nope...believe it when I see it...and it won't be Xcom of old.
Nostalgia is a powerful thing

All had great marketing and regular updates but huge FAIL. The only hope I have left is Black Mesa but with these guys I know they are re-creating the same experience I had 12 years ago down to the finest detail, every box, corridor and light switch and adding more. They are more like historians and I find great comfort in this because it means I get to step into a time machine and visit the past...whenever it gets released...but there is zero worry or concern that it won't be exactly what I'm expecting.

I wish there were more companies that would do that and not fuck with something that's perfect. Just a polish of the graphics and leave everything else the same please!!!

Your best bet is to just re-subscribe and jump into the old game with all your video settings maxed out to keep your mind busy and forget about the new game. This could go on for years and my mind is too fragile to obsess over something that I may never end up liking at all. After-all it could very well be your last chance to experience Planetside of the past...once it's turned off it's off for good....until Planetside 3 maybe? At the very least Sony will be setting the bar quite high for the next big successor and that alone could change everything...maybe even kill consoles? I dream of a day when PS3 and Xbox get thrown on the shelf next to the Intellivision, Atari 2600 and Colecovision.
It's like we grew up during the golden age of gaming and are wearing our rose coloured glasses. I've never agreed more with a post ever before! You've completely captured everything I've been trying to say about games in general from the last decade.

My greatest #1 top thing on my wishlist is for someone to update Darklands. Keep it virtually identical to the 1992 edition but update the graphics and remove the exploits.

I might actually bust that out if I can find a 5.25" drive. Hope the disks still work!

Anyway, the consensus is to distract myself until beta.
Old 2012-04-02, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Owalpo

i just wish I could get myself to resub, but I am on the line. Don't know if it's really worth it or not.
Old 2012-04-02, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

kinda bored of waiting
Old 2012-04-02, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

No burnout here, just excitement. I still have a ton of projects and stuff to complete, but all this downtime gives me more time to make VS propaganda while the team prepares for Closed Beta.
Old 2012-04-03, 01:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
Anyway, the consensus is to distract myself until beta.
I KNOW JUST THE GAME!

http://www.ea.com/syndicate

Just kidding, looks like they raped the shit out of this franchise too...

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-04-03, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea I was watching that one then I realized they were destroying it.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-04-03, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Yea I was watching that one then I realized they were destroying it.
Command and Conquer.....another EA destroyed franchise.
Old 2012-04-03, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
Command and Conquer.....another EA destroyed franchise.
Yep , I use to play the crap out of some Red Alert and Tiberian sun back when Westwood was still making it. After EA took over that franchise just went right down the toilet. Its a shame too.

Old 2012-04-03, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Knocky
Major

Didn't even buy C&C 4 even though we can get for $9 now at Amazon.

I am watching C&C: Generals 2 though, Bioware is making it.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-03, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Originally Posted by Cosmical View Post
Dude, they're still sending screen shots of MAX suits being modeled? We're nowhere near beta. Texturing, animating, play testing, balancing. We're not even there yet.
<begin personal note>
I want to clear up a misconception about general game development right here. All you need for a majority of power balance and game mechanics play testing is placeholder models and animations. There are exceptions to this rule, and serious character-interaction games (i.e. Action games like Street Fighter, DC Universe Online, Diablo) require a different flow of development than a level-based platformer or open-world games.

The most important part of the modelling and texturing is to have a single one done completely and optimized by the art and coding teams. The earlier you start making all of the variations, the more work you end up redoing when the coding or design team make changes for balance or optimization reasons.

This doesn't mean you save the modelling for the last weekend before release of course, but the idea that you can't test and balance before the animations and modelling are done in a game like this would be a little bit off the mark.
</end personal note>
Old 2012-04-03, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
General M
Corporal

I do think they started the hype train a little early. Are they doing all the facebook/info releases now as marketing for the main game or the beta? or do they think beta footage will be enough marketing for the next 6-9 months?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion