Alt-Tabbing Efficiency - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Want some strawberry shortcake?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-10, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
infected
Staff Sergeant

Re: Alt-Tabbing Efficiency

might make the jump and finally get a 2nd monitor.

now is sony was smart they would have products in the pc lcd monitor market.
Old 2012-07-10, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
kertvon
Sergeant

Originally Posted by TheRagingGerbil View Post
Wait, if you ran full window with multiple monitors wouldn't you run into a mouse runover issue? Anytime I have done this it never fails I will lose window focus during a frantic firefight because my cursor ran to the adjacent screen. :/
Most of the games I have played with a fullscreen/window and second monitor setup detected when the game window was active. You are still required to press alt-tab to scroll to neighboring screens and break out of the game window. When the game window is active, your mouse is bound to the perimeter of the game window.

edit: I do recall a few times while playing Starcraft 2 this way that the mouse broke out of the game window and prohibited screen scrolling. Very annoying...

Last edited by kertvon; 2012-07-10 at 01:27 PM.
Old 2012-07-10, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Trafalgar
First Sergeant

I also tend to run games in a window (or fake fullscreen) so that I can alt-tab to access stuff on my other monitor without having them go nuts or minimize.
Old 2012-07-10, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SnipeGrzywa
Corporal

Misc Info

Originally Posted by TheRagingGerbil View Post
Wait, if you ran full window with multiple monitors wouldn't you run into a mouse runover issue? Anytime I have done this it never fails I will lose window focus during a frantic firefight because my cursor ran to the adjacent screen. :/
Most games have a free mouse mode, including PS1 (alt I think). When you are in player control its not possible for the mouse to leave the program. Hit "alt" and your mouse will be able to move freely outside the window to another screen.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Hyperz
Private

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
If a game uses the full-screen window there is a slight performance penalty, and also an additional frame of input lag in Windows 7.
That shouldn't be a reason to not give users the option though . I think most people who want windowed fullscreen support are those that stream games. Having lots of people stream your game on sites like twitch.tv can really benefit a games popularity. SC2 is a nice example of that.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
duomaxwl
Captain

Originally Posted by Antivide View Post
Alt + Tab + Pandora + Jazz station + Vanguard

The jazz mobile has no brakes!
I used to run Jazz Radio and TS3 on my second, smaller monitor.
Boomering enemies as an infil is just humorous with 40's swing in the background.

I typically run PS alt-tabbed, but when PS2 comes out, I'm sure it's beauty will persuade me to run full.

Last edited by duomaxwl; 2012-07-10 at 03:39 PM.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Brusi
Contributor
Major

If the Windows Key drops you to desktop, like the original... i'll crack the massivest shits. I simply used to rip that key off my keyboard back in the day...

I don't do that now that i'm a bit older, have a decent job and a nice keyboard... so now i just have to try not to panic and hit the window key in the middle of a fight.

I'm not even sure how it happens, tbh, lol.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-07-10, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
haticK
First Sergeant

Most gaming keyboards have switches to disable the windows key from even working.
Old 2012-07-10, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Brusi
Contributor
Major

oh mad! i mean, herp derp... now i know what that big gaming button does!

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-07-10, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Flisher
Private

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
If a game uses the full-screen window there is a slight performance penalty, and also an additional frame of input lag in Windows 7.
Well, I play all my game in Windowed mode (even better if fake full screen is available...).
Reason #1: alt-tabbing without minimising shit.
Reason #2: moving my mouse to a second monitor without having to "alt-tab" out of my game.

Probably that 9/10 AAA title support.

Why 2 monitor? 1 for the game, one for teamspeak, twitch, browsing, Tactical planer, etc.

About special monitor setup? I see 3 options, and only 1 is very comonly used, the other are niche market, usually developped for marketting purpose only...

#1: 1 monitor for the game, one for other stuff (very, very common now, cheap, you rreuse your old monitor on any pc younger than 5 year and can plug 2 monitor on it...)

#2: dual / tripple head for the game (not alot of game support it well, very limited deployment, cost intensive on hardware, etc...

#3: 3dvision (While it's a buzz, and I use it in some game, it's really not easy to handle with FPS games, and honestly most people having it don't use it alot.

I really hope Planetside 2 support the windowed mode and allow dual monitor setup to NOT have a second monitor blank (and feel the need to plug a second computer/keyboard on it...
Old 2012-07-10, 09:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Roy Awesome
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by TazmamzaT View Post
Well it definitely looks like I won't be using windowed mode, if it is in. What about alt-tabbing though, is that going to be an issue?
This is true in every game, it's an issue with Windows.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
TazmamzaT
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Roy Awesome View Post
This is true in every game, it's an issue with Windows.
Ah I know you're name from reddit and your stream!

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's entirely an issue with windows. Take Team Fortress 2 for example. It used to be HORRID at tabbing out and in but now it works perfectly after an update they had a few months ago. I'm no coder though.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Dairian
Sergeant

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
After playing Dota2, which has terrible alt-tab support, I'd like to say that I really hope Forge Light has good tabbing support.

On that note, isn't Forge Light already deployed in EverQuest 2? So, you could just ask them how well alt-tabbing works.
Planetside 2 will be the first game to use forgelight.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Talented Maori
Corporal

I agree with Alt-tab. Is nice and fast to check my facebook
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion