Boomer piles, destructable bases/structures - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Could be worse
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-08-09, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info
Boomer piles, destructable bases/structures

We should be able to destroy bases/outfit bases/towers/bunkers with enough explosives.

in other words, if a base is causing enough problems, we should have the option of just anhilliating its presence with massive amounts of win/explosives going off.

of course, this would also mean we'd be able to build them back up again, too. Also, with enough boomers and explosives, I should be able to punch a hole through the ground outside of a base to access its basement in order to rapell down into it.

examples:

Last edited by p0intman; 2011-08-09 at 03:22 PM.
Old 2011-08-09, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Raymac
Brigadier General

Re: Boomer piles, destructable bases/structures

Destructable environments, especially to the level of punching a hole through a wall to create an access point would be amazing...I just have my doubts on how feasible it is, even with the wizard-created Forgelight magic.

It's funny though, I was about to start a very similar thread because of an idea thats been bouncing around in my head. When Smed was on the panel and told people to make special note of the "landing struts" on the tower in the trailer, he seemed to be making reference to gaining the ability to place towers and possibly other structures. Perhaps they could be placed in a similar way to the new game "StarHawk" for the PS3.

This raises an interesting question though. In a persistant world MMO where you'd be allowed to place buildings at strategic locations, it wouldn't take long for the map to get filled up with these buildings. So, that would mean that they would have to get cleared in some way, and the only 2 ways I can think of. 1) Having them persist for a set amount of time before they simply disappear, OR 2) make them destructable. The latter sounds far more entertaining to me, so perhaps this is something that they are in fact developing?

Old 2011-08-09, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Keep in mind tho, if you have the option to try to take the tower, or just blow it up. Unless there's some reaaaaaaaallly good reason, they will just get blown up. Yeah you can save resources, but it would have to be enough to be worth all the hassle taking towers can sometimes be. I'm guessing thats their current plan tho, so we will prob get some destructable stuff.

It would have to take alot tho to destroy em or its gonna be grief city much like gen droppers can do, although being fully exposed to the outdoors unlike generators, its much harder to prevent.
Old 2011-08-09, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Valdae
Sergeant

I love Bad Company 2, but 9 times out of 10 people will just blow up building rather than fight their way inside to plant bombs on the objective. Its not so much a problem when the objective is to kill people, Planetside 2 is all about capturing things.
Old 2011-08-09, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zulthus
Colonel

This wouldn't work at all; noobs and trolls would just drive around every base with a tank and destroy all signs of a structure. If this is implemented, might as well smack a CC in the middle of a clear, wide open grass area, 'cause it'll be the same thing.
Old 2011-08-09, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Destructable environments, especially to the level of punching a hole through a wall to create an access point would be amazing...I just have my doubts on how feasible it is, even with the wizard-created Forgelight magic.
Its beyond simple, if its restricted to specific points. If one were to tell you a base had a turret that could be destroyed, there would be no argument. Why would a section of wall be any more difficult? Throw in a half dozen or dozen breach points in likely spots. A simple wall section that, when destroyed, is replaced with another mesh with a hole in it.

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
This wouldn't work at all; noobs and trolls would just drive around every base with a tank and destroy all signs of a structure. If this is implemented, might as well smack a CC in the middle of a clear, wide open grass area, 'cause it'll be the same thing.
If the issue is being too easy to destroy, well, the solution rather presents itself, doesn't it? More hitpoints, or a super fast regeneration, or both. Nanites can build complex machines and even more complex biological machines in moments. How fast could they rebuild a simple reinforced concrete structure?

Let it take 20 people hammering away for 5 minutes to overcome the pile of hitpoints and the regen, and it won't fall to random noobs and trolls.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-08-09 at 06:40 PM.
Old 2011-08-09, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Unless it was something like a extra-super-duper-mega-strong-BFR-with-jumbo-shields-style so that it would take 1 or 2 tanks a week to destroy it, but a large amount of concentrated fire from many units would begin to damage it. If they make them destructable, I'm sure they'd be smart enough to balance it out.

EDIT: Or what CutterJohn just said right above me lol

Last edited by Raymac; 2011-08-09 at 06:29 PM.
Old 2011-08-09, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Surge72
Corporal

They could take pages from EVE, as that does seem to be the inspiration for some areas of PS2.

EVE has player built structures that have a clever mechanic of allowing them to be destroyed while also giving the owners a chance to defend it. Not sure on the specifics, but I believe it's something to do with the structure entering different modes after taking so much damage, making it invulnerable for the next 48 hours, where upon afterwards it will be ready to be completely destroyed.

I'm sure there is more to it than that. I just remember reading about it and thought it was a good approach.
Old 2011-08-09, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
NUBLERT
Private

Ah, I remember the days of crashing PS servers with boomer decorating of capitols...
Old 2011-08-10, 03:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

The rational of "If we can place towers then they have to be removable too" had crossed my mind as well. I'm betting that the towers will have a duration placed on them to avoid tower spam.

If we can't blow up trees we probably can't blow up structures. Geomod would be fun no doubt, but do you really want MBTs to be able to shoot you while you're in the spawn room?
Old 2011-08-10, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
The rational of "If we can place towers then they have to be removable too" had crossed my mind as well. I'm betting that the towers will have a duration placed on them to avoid tower spam.

If we can't blow up trees we probably can't blow up structures. Geomod would be fun no doubt, but do you really want MBTs to be able to shoot you while you're in the spawn room?
I would like to be able to fly into them Return of the Jedi style, blow up the main generator, then escape right as the flames of the explosion start to lick my winshield. I know that will never happen, but I've wanted that since I was 6 years old.

Old 2011-08-10, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

complete immediate destruction? No.

but extended seiges where we have the CY for a while... Yes, potentially. it shouldnt be easy to do, but it should be possible to just end the fight instead of draining a base or whatever.
Old 2011-08-10, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Towers will probably have an interference range like deployables in Planetside 1. And maybe a self destruct device?
Old 2011-08-10, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Don't really see planet side as a game for this level of destructible environment. Something this big would need lots of time to redesign in a way for it to work/balanced/and fun in gameplay. Just rather have it in another game meant for it like Battlefield where match ends and resets
Old 2011-08-11, 04:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I honestly don't believe there will be destructible environments. They'd have already pimped it as a feature of the engine. However, Smed's crypitc "on the tower, those look kinda like landing struts" says to me that there will be some form of temporary structures in game. How they will come and go? Too open of a question at this time.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion