head shots!!! - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 1024 needs a life
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-09, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Jinxmasta
Second Lieutenant

Yes I believe the main difference between Planetside and other FPSes is the enormous scale it was on. The sniper roles in other games aren't always what a real sniper does. It usually means take a shot within 3 seconds and hope it hits before you get shot by another person. However, Planetside is so huge that snipers shouldn't be powered so much. I think a good use of snipers is to have some in your squad to begin wounding the enemy and once they find your position, send in the rest of the squad while the snipers are still firing mainly at the body to wound or kill since they probably won't have very high health in a firefight. If I were to snipe, I wouldn't go in solo or with just some other snipers. I would go with an entire squad and help them. I wouldn't care if I didn't get the most kills. Body shots shouldn't be too weak and therefore you can severely damage the enemy while they are fighting your squad which will result in your squad having an advantage.

The point is, it doesn't matter who gets the kills since you all get the same BEP's... it's the end result. What would you rather have? 5 kills and your whole squad dead or 2 kills and your squad alive and you've won the battle?

I Qanamil_Rafiki for this sig!
Old 2002-12-09, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
�io
Lieutenant General

Ok considering a) my posts aren't being read and b)non snipers will never agree with snipers or would be snipers i'm gonna step back on this debate, don't feel like wasting my energy typing stuff people don't read.
Old 2002-12-09, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Jinxmasta
Second Lieutenant

I'm reading your threads. But the thing is, I don't have a problem snipers being very high powered in other small scale games since I usually am a sniper but in bigger games like this I don't want to see squads get torn up by just a few snipers!

Old 2002-12-09, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
�io
Lieutenant General

Nah i wasn't aiming you Jinx.
Old 2002-12-09, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Yeah I can understand that people don't want to get screwed by snipers. I just don't want to see the snipers fun taken away by killing the guns. This game is for those who want to be snipers as well.
You don't need to kill everyone in one or two shots to have fun. Or at least, I hope not. But, if that's the case, then just like a person who has fun by randomly killing his own team, your fun takes away from others.

and b)non snipers will never agree with snipers or would be snipers i'm gonna step back on this debate, don't feel like wasting my energy typing stuff people don't read.
In Tribes, I usually played a sniper. It actually took a lot of skill there, and I found to fun to fight other snipers too, so I knew I wasn't hurting the game by using an unbalanced weapon. So it's not like I'm aiming for snipers to be totally neutered. I just want the class to actually take a good deal of skill to be effective, like a regular assault infantryman would, and to be fun to not only play as, but play against. I understand that you as a player who prefers the sniper role would not want to see anything but beneficial stuff happen to snipers, but that's utilitarianism for you. What's good for the game as a whole supercedes all else. And as Jinxmasta pointed out, snipers can't be as powerful as usual due to the scale of the game.
Old 2002-12-09, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
cujoman39
Sergeant

im saying that body shots should do less damage than head shots, because they take more skill, and when i said i dont want to see light guys having to run around a heavy for two minutes to take him down, if the guy in the light armor lands head shots it should kill him fast.

plus heavys wont be walking tanks there just going to be lights that are a lot slower in three times the armor with heavyer weapons. a experanceed play in light armor should stand a chance against a newbie in a heavy, in fact there should be no challange unless the newbie gets lucky.

plus lights wont have numberical supioriority because heavys can match there numbers easily because anyone can be a heavy.

As for snipers people with sniper rifles probably wont be very good with back up weapons or even certifyed to us the.

Firefights should be short and sweet where a few well trained soldiers could hold off an army for a while and a one on one firefight shouldnt last for more than a few second not a minute because light weapons do such little damage.
Old 2002-12-09, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
cujoman39
Sergeant

Warborn is probaly the only person besides me making sence on the subject. i like his answer the best, besides mine of course.
Old 2002-12-09, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

They don't neccesarily need to die in 1 or 2 shots if it hits them in the body. If you make the sniper rifle take 4 or 5 shots to kill someone regardless of where you hit them it's nothing more than a long range pistol which completely defeats the purpose of a sniper rifle. Dio is right non snipers and snipers will never agree about it so meh what ya gonna do.
Old 2002-12-09, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
cujoman39
Sergeant

All i have to say about snipers is that they are a spearhead divison with limited use in close quarters, they are the soldiers that take out guard and sentreys so the rest of the squad can rush in after that a sniper can guard the enterence delaying reenforcements.

IF anyone has a better use for one say so, besides reconnacince and the lone wolf thing!!!!!!!
Old 2002-12-09, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Jinxmasta
Second Lieutenant

Since when was a MAX not a walking tank? That's basically what it is except the tanks are just slightly more powerful. The weak side to the MAXes are the Vanu Lancer Snipers (if anyone decides to actually try my idea), other MAXes, tanks, Reavers, and a few people with anti-vehicular weapons.

4-5 shots? I never meant that much. Since everyone has 100 health, maybe a head shot takes em down 60 or so and a body shot 40 (for a light). This means it would take a head shot (needs a lot of skill) and a body shot. Now for a medium a head shot could maybe do like 50 and a body shot like 30. This would mean one head shot and two body shots. You have to remember though, body shots aren't too difficult unless the enemy has some sort of cover or he/she is running at a very fast speed. Now as for shooting a MAX... I'm not even gonna go into that.

Now you can change these numbers around all you like but I feel these numbers create a pretty balanced sniper rifle. Oh and as for the non-armored people, 1 shot to the head, you're dead. Or at least 80 damage for head shot and 50-60 for a body shot.

Old 2002-12-09, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Jinxmasta
Second Lieutenant

Another use for a sniper could be to pick off enemy soldiers from a distance while you're squad is fighting them mid-close range so they won't even know you're their. It could just give your squad the edge they need.

Old 2002-12-09, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

I read your posts Dio.
Old 2002-12-09, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
cujoman39
Sergeant

That is a good idea but that is more of a suport role
Old 2002-12-09, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

Or maybe you could just go to major battles in your hover buggy and run people over.
Old 2002-12-09, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Jinxmasta
Second Lieutenant

But who says the sniper can't be a support role? A support role is just as important as any other role. Actually, all the roles are support roles to create one big role as a squad.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion