News: Planetside 2 beta plans - Page 65 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Everything is better through a straw!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Reply
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-07-21, 05:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #961
FatherJack
Private
 
Re: Beta next week???


As I have said in another post I dont think many on here know how software development works or have ever been involved in IT.
I empathise with the devs, they get constantly harassed by people for a beta date so they have to give a best guess. When bugs pop up, dates have to be pushed back, there is no other way around it.
I work on software far more important than PS2 but we have had to push back release times because of bugs (and this is after months of testing).

So two things, if you don't want to be disappointed, stop demanding times from the devs. If you want rough dates, don't cry when dates get pushed back.
FatherJack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 06:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #962
Astrok
First Sergeant
 
Re: Beta next week???


Originally Posted by mefy View Post
Pretty sure that translates to- Beta will not start next week. Maybe I can't read either?
im not sayint it will start im saying maybe next week. What u dont understand about MAYBE???
Astrok is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 06:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #963
roguy
Sergeant
 
Re: Beta next week???


Originally Posted by Astrok View Post
im not sayint it will start im saying maybe next week. What u dont understand about MAYBE???
From your OP:

Smed:
"Beta will likely start in a little over a week"

You:
"so it may be with the epic trailer launch on the 25th?" (wich is in less than a week...)

I think our reading and comprehension skills are just fine... Thanks for asking...
roguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #964
QFAN
Private
 
Re: Beta next week???


Let's play a game:

Guess the maximum number of concurrent online players in the first week of beta.
QFAN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 07:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #965
Azarga
Corporal
 
Azarga's Avatar
 
Re: Beta next week???


Originally Posted by QFAN View Post
Let's play a game:

Guess the maximum number of concurrent online players in the first week of beta.
First week of closed beta (~700) or open beta(~8k)?
Azarga is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 07:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #966
Bocheezu
Master Sergeant
 
Re: Beta next week???


Originally Posted by FatherJack View Post
I empathise with the devs, they get constantly harassed by people for a beta date so they have to give a best guess. When bugs pop up, dates have to be pushed back, there is no other way around it.
The "best guess" by game devs is never even close to right. You would think law of averages means they would be early as often as late, but they're never early. They bring the harrassment upon themselves with their ridiculous estimates and doublespeak in order to maintain interest. They knew it would be July if they were lucky, but they don't want people to just disappear for the month of June and early July so they bring out the "in the next few weeks" line at E3 to string people along. So now we know; assuming beta is the first week of August, "few" = 8. I honestly don't care, I'm not that desperate, but some of the poor saps out there have been checking their email every minute for over a month now.
Bocheezu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #967
FatherJack
Private
 
Re: Beta next week???


Originally Posted by Bocheezu View Post
The "best guess" by game devs is never even close to right. You would think law of averages means they would be early as often as late, but they're never early. They bring the harrassment upon themselves with their ridiculous estimates and doublespeak in order to maintain interest. They knew it would be July if they were lucky, but they don't want people to just disappear for the month of June and early July so they bring out the "in the next few weeks" line at E3 to string people along. So now we know; assuming beta is the first week of August, "few" = 8. I honestly don't care, I'm not that desperate, but some of the poor saps out there have been checking their email every minute for over a month now.
I have been in development cycles where the release date that was estimated was pushed back 2 and a half months. Ain't nothing new here.
FatherJack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #968
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant
 
QuantumMechanic's Avatar
 
Re: Beta next week???


Originally Posted by Astrok View Post
im not sayint it will start im saying maybe next week. What u dont understand about MAYBE???
Here's the thing. SOE has been missing the *estimates* that they have been giving us for months, years even, and I'm fine with that. As a software engineer myself I fully understand that an estimate is just that - an estimate not a promise. I'd rather hear something than nothing at all.

But you are reading what you want to hear, and not actually reading what Smed is saying. He's has essentially confirmed NO BETA NEXT WEEK. Not even maybe.

The stress of waiting and constantly checking email etc only to find nothing is wearing thin on me as well as many others. And threads like this only make that worse. Please, just don't.
QuantumMechanic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #969
Fizzgig
Private
 
Re: Beta next week???


Originally Posted by FatherJack View Post
I have been in development cycles where the release date that was estimated was pushed back 2 and a half months. Ain't nothing new here.
I'm with FatherJack on this one. In the IT industry it can take weeks, if not months or longer to develop and implement a piece of software/hardware etc. Hell, one of our systems took years (CRM, not fun).

Have patience people, it will arrive.
Fizzgig is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #970
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant
 
Rago's Avatar
 
Re: Beta next week???


I will also Say we just need to have more patience
The Beta starts when it starts, we have been waiting for so Long now, a Week more or less will not make "The" difference.
For sure is that there will be a Trailer.Thats what we know for sure , right ?
__________________
Rago is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #971
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant
 
MrKWalmsley's Avatar
 
Re: Beta next week???


Originally Posted by Astrok View Post
John Smedley ‏@j_smedley
we'll be holding where we are at for a bit on the tech test. Beta will likely start in a little over a week if things go well

so it may be with the epic trailer launch on the 25th?

its geting close folks
He did say "MAY BE" and "little OVER a week" and "if things go WELL".

This means that in the best case scenario (which is unlikely given their history of giving predictions) it would start on the 29th. But I highly doubt it will even be that soon.
__________________
MrKWalmsley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #972
Crator
Major General
 
Crator's Avatar
 
Re: Planetside 2 beta plans


Originally Posted by l3lizz4rd View Post
I got an invite. I don't even know what this is. Is this like pokemon?
So you just randomly sign up for betas without knowing what they are?
__________________
>>CRATOR<<
Don't feed the trolls, unless it's funny to do so...
Crator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #973
Dagron
Captain
 
Dagron's Avatar
 
Re: Planetside 2 beta plans


Originally Posted by Crator View Post
So you just randomly sign up for betas without knowing what they are?
Don't you? It's fun to get in on betas other people are dying to get picked for.

PS: look at his join date. ;P
__________________
Dagron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #974
DukeTerror
Private
 
DukeTerror's Avatar
 


Hook line and sinker
__________________

DukeTerror - Ground Support Cannon Fodder
Member
DukeTerror is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #975
james
Sergeant Major
 
Re: Planetside 2 beta plans


It o no, i'm a vet and if i don't get in let me cry about it.
james is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Bookmarks

Tags
djeclipse

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.