In-game Random Events - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't be in your boxxorz around Yuyi
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-03-28, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
DoctorBrain
Private

In-game Random Events

Here's a quick little idea that, if implemented, might add a little variety to PS2's gameplay: random events.

PS2 will feature large-scale battles along vast, constantly shifting front lines. While this holds much promise, the downside to this is that large portions of continents will go unused for some period of time. Also, the continuous focus on capturing hexes may become repetitive for some players.

Areas that are near the front line, but do not see constant battle, could be used to host random events. These events would give small, short-term objectives to squads or outfits in any faction. Successfully completing these objectives would provide small bonuses to a faction, outfit or squad. If unattended, these events would eventually time out.

Examples of random events:
  • Ancient Vanu technology has been uncovered in a nearby area. Recover it to earn bonuses for your team. (A small, generic-looking piece of alienish tech would spawn in a nearby hex. Players who recovered it would receive some sort of resource bonus).
  • A faction's general was being transported by dropship when it came under heavy fire. It has crash landed nearby. (A faction-specific NPC general and accompanying dropship wreckage would spawn in some nearby hex. If the general was in your faction, you would have the opportunity defending the general or helping him escape; if the general was in an enemy faction, you would have the opportunity to assassinate him while he is vulnerable).

I'm a complete PS noob, having never played the first game. Feel free to correct me if this would be impractical.

Last edited by DoctorBrain; 2012-03-28 at 12:32 PM.
Old 2012-03-28, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Re: In-game Random Events

In my opinion, there should be opportunities for players to generate 'random events' of their own, without the game itself trying to manifest things. If you're bored of the frontline grind, go form a small squad and start sacking towers behind enemy lines or something. There were always fun things to do to harass the enemy, without there having to be scripted events.
Old 2012-03-28, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by DoctorBrain View Post
Here's a quick little idea that, if implemented, might add a little variety to PS2's gameplay: random events.

PS2 will feature large-scale battles along vast, constantly shifting front lines. While this holds much promise, the downside to this is that large portions of continents will go unused for some period of time. Also, the continuous focus on capturing hexes may become repetitive for some players.

Areas that are near the front line, but do not see constant battle, could be used to host random events. These events would give small, short-term objectives to squads or outfits in any faction. Successfully completing these objectives would provide small bonuses to a faction, outfit or squad. If unattended, these events would eventually time out.

Examples of random events:
  • Ancient Vanu technology has been uncovered in a nearby area. Recover it to earn bonuses for your team. (A small, generic-looking piece of alienish tech would spawn in a nearby hex. Players who recovered it would receive some sort of resource bonus).
  • A faction's general was being transported by dropship when it came under heavy fire. It has crash landed nearby. (A faction-specific NPC general and accompanying dropship wreckage would spawn in some nearby hex. If the general was in your faction, you would have the opportunity defending the general or helping him escape; if the general was in an enemy faction, you would have the opportunity to assassinate him while he is vulnerable).

I'm a complete PS noob, having never played the first game. Feel free to correct me if this would be impractical.
These are all good ideas, unfortunately I don't think they have in game tools to support dynamic events.
Old 2012-03-28, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

The NPCs aren't practical, yet. We know AI won't be in at launch but will later.
A resource boost in a contested area, definitely.

I agree random events that just alter battle a little bit, provide an additional objective, but don't deter from the current overall objective would be nice.

The Resource boosts could spawn in a random building in outposts and could be taken with it's own control console just like the base's, maybe one of the hexs in the territory your fighting over suddenly changes to be worth more resources or a different type. You just have to be careful not to make them feel punishing to the player, or pull too many people away from the main objective/front line

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2012-03-28 at 12:37 PM.
Old 2012-03-28, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Raymac
Brigadier General

I think that those are cool ideas. Planetside would have the occasional weekend events, and one of my all time favorite absolutely epic Planetside moments came during one of those events. They also help keep the gameplay fresh, so long as they are occasional and not a common occurance.

The examples you gave are pretty cool ideas too. I think some people might be against the concept of any AI at all, although in the General scenario you gave, I think it could work. Or you could do a slight variation where they have a GM or Player as the role on the General which may be even better.

Cool ideas.

Last edited by Raymac; 2012-03-28 at 12:40 PM.
Old 2012-03-28, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Random events like earthquakes, the very rare meteor shower, sand storms and what have you. ABSOLUTELY!
Old 2012-03-28, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

This has been suggested, almost identically, here: http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=39924

Yes.

More people need to use the idea vault, it's got great suggestions, and more people need to put their ideas into the idea vault rather than this forum.
Old 2012-03-28, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DoctorBrain
Private

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
This has been suggested, almost identically, here: http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=39924

Yes.

More people need to use the idea vault, it's got great suggestions, and more people need to put their ideas into the idea vault rather than this forum.
I would not call the ideas identical. That post was referencing faction-specific events that would occur on a semi-consistent (i.e. weekly) basis. My original post was suggesting random, non-faction-specific events that would occur every 2 or 3 hours. Notser's suggestion is somewhat larger in scale than my own, which was crafted to represent "fog of war" and unpredictable events that would require on-the-fly refocusing or adjustment of deployments.

Apologies for not posting in the idea vault. To be frank I forgot it was even there.

Last edited by DoctorBrain; 2012-03-28 at 01:06 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault