Doing a Video, properly. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please insert disk 2
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-08, 02:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info
Re: Doing a Video, properly.

I agree with you basti that people look for gameplay first when looking to buy but I'd add the cravat that this is mainly for FPS games. In RPGs you normally don't care as much about the gameplay as opposed to the story and graphics.

I'd actually argue that gameplay is a bad way to sustain hype. Typically you have a video covering this or that bit of gameplay (infantry, tank, aircraft) and this drags out the hype material but its broken up nature means that you're repeating a lot of the stuff between videos and wasting time and it will start to wear by the 3rd video or so. If you make a Bible like gameplay video that covers all the basics, the ideas, and mechanics which serves as a concentrated info dump that can be referred to then future videos can be straight gameplay or comedy.

Basically it'd would be like a tree graph with the info dump video as the root that can always be referred to when people ask about what's going on in the cool videos that are out in the branches.
Old 2012-01-08, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by basti View Post
What people want to see is the game. They dont want to see some cinematic, or some overly voice acted and directed clip, they want to see the gameplay.
Yea, everyone found those TOR clips awesome, but what did they ask for? Gameplay. What do we ask for? Gameplay. Everyone wants gameplay.

And the best way to provide this is a simple "Lets Play". Thats the basic core of what im going to attempt. I just splice it up, to the level of Planetside (the level right above awesome). Instead of one guy talking about stuff, showing just a tiny part of the game, have a dozen or more guys, all around the same area, all doing their stuff.
Its not a promotion, its simply you watching some other guy play, bearing the question to yourself: Why the fuck are i watching these guys play, why dont i play mself? WHERE THE HELL DO I GET THIS GAME?

Worked well for quite a few games.
Ill do a mock up of what I think you mean so people can see it, or you do a mock up but use PS1 footage, just so people know what you are attempting basti.

Good luck with it m8, this could be fantastic.
Old 2012-01-08, 02:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Graywolves
General

WE NEEDZ TO MAKE VIDEOZZZZ!!!!!
Old 2012-01-08, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post
Ill do a mock up of what I think you mean so people can see it, or you do a mock up but use PS1 footage, just so people know what you are attempting basti.

Good luck with it m8, this could be fantastic.
Did think about it, but the issue is that i wont find enoug footage for it, or can create said footage these days.

Lets try again: in simple words:

1 Battle, about the timespan of 5-15 minutes of said battle, shitloads of different people doing a video of their viewpoint, using this material to do several videos that are based on a theme.

Got it?
Old 2012-01-08, 03:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Did think about it, but the issue is that i wont find enoug footage for it, or can create said footage these days.

Lets try again: in simple words:

1 Battle, about the timespan of 5-15 minutes of said battle, shitloads of different people doing a video of their viewpoint, using this material to do several videos that are based on a theme.

Got it?
Awwwww you put it into lamens terms for me im so happy I get in now.

and I see what you mean, if everybody makes their won video you can just take the footage from the net yea? Or whoever make the /7 videos

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2012-01-08 at 03:49 AM.
Old 2012-01-08, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

This is a Awesome Idea. I would love to help provide some footage if I end up getting a invite into the beta.

Edit: I just order all new parts for my PC to make sure I can run this game at its peak performance.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-01-08 at 10:14 AM.
Old 2012-01-08, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Korn, a cameraman would only be useful for a overview of the battle. Usually, most of the footage should be first person, with UI.
I didn't say the whole video should be recorded from a spectators view, but overview shots would add to a video in my opinion. Wouldn't it be great to have the camera zoomed in on a single soldier and then zoom out to reveal, that there are another 200 around him?

You could also show off the different roles one could chose to play in the game. As the video jumps from one viewpoint to the next, have a text line flashing in a corner that tells you name, rank and profession of the soldier or something in this direction. "Lt. John Redcliff, 9th Tank Battalion - Tank Commander" ... "Cpl. Andrej Kovaljew, 2nd Infantry Battalion - Medic" .. etc. Just an idea.

EDIT: I hope you find some people who can run the game on high details AND record at the same time. My PC for example sure as hell won't be able to do so.

Last edited by BlazingSun; 2012-01-08 at 10:15 AM.
Old 2012-01-08, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Arrow
Corporal

But but I liked your vids korn
Old 2012-01-08, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

I was planning on making a video for open beta anyway (if my computer can handle recording in this game), so I'm in.
Old 2012-01-08, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I was planning on making a video for open beta anyway (if my computer can handle recording in this game), so I'm in.
Same!

Also if you guys need an editor for this I'm ready.

Last edited by Bittermen; 2012-01-08 at 07:55 PM.
Old 2012-01-09, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Yea i plan on making afew.

one showing some different rolls/classes...or maybe 6 or more will see how long the beta goes :P and how well i can play them...
general killing compilation video
1 full scene video
hopefully one showing just how large PS is.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-09, 01:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
cellinaire
Captain

Yeah I agree with most of you here. It seems people nowadays(well, I mean 'majority of gamers out there') just prefer looking what the actual fights and daily gameplay will look like when they get to actually play the game for themselves. =)
Old 2012-01-09, 02:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by cellinaire View Post
Yeah I agree with most of you here. It seems people nowadays(well, I mean 'majority of gamers out there') just prefer looking what the actual fights and daily gameplay will look like when they get to actually play the game for themselves. =)
well yea, all the CGI trailers are pointless(imo) they tell you nothing about the game...other than they're wasting time and massive amounts of money(EA) on some POS game where they're trying to get sales by initial sales each time by building massive amounts of hype on a shitty product(activision)

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-09, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
well yea, all the CGI trailers are pointless(imo) they tell you nothing about the game...other than they're wasting time and massive amounts of money(EA) on some POS game where they're trying to get sales by initial sales each time by building massive amounts of hype on a shitty product(activision)
I like the CGI trailers, even if the game was meh, like section 8. I don't mind rewatching them on Youtube.
Old 2012-01-09, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Miir
Malvision

I'd love to see Blur Studio do a cinematic trailer for Planetside. That would be kick ass.

But if I had to choose between them spending money on getting a CG trailer done or putting more features in the game. I'd vote with the latter.

Just throwing this out there. Did you guys want to maybe do a test run in Planetside or maybe something newer like Battlefield 3?

What I was thinking was we pick a date/time meet up do a couple minutes of filming. Then everyone uploads to youtube and posts videos here. I'm pretty sure most people know how to get movies off youtube. Then people that want to edit them can edit.

All finished work can go here and for feedback.

It might be a good way to test the logistics of this project and bang out more ideas.

Maybe Hamma can make a sub forum for us?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion