Cockpit and Driver View comparison thread. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Its addictive and its legal!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-15, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Re: Cockpit and Driver View comparison thread.

I would hope that with these great looking cockpits we'll have support for TrackIR too, because I might just have to be a career pilot then.
Old 2012-05-15, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
The problem with 3rd person on ground vehicles is that it allows you to see round corners. It happens on WoT. Part of the game or cheating? You decide..

If anyone can think of a way to have 3rd person on ground vehicles without enabling this 'feature' - I'm sure interest would be shown....!
WoTs 3rd person camera is nothing like PS1s. PS1s locked behind the vehicle. It couldn't be moved, panned, zoomed, nothing. WoTs is quite ridiculous, tbh, for a game that goes the extra mile to be realistic.

I spent hundreds of hours in a tank. I used the vehicle camera to see over hills maybe a handful of times. I used 3rd person as infantry in a backdoor hallway literally every single time. The way PS1 had it set up it simply wasn't useful at all for intel on vehicles. It was just useful for driving. Had a bit wider FoV, and could see if you were going to clear obstacles easily.

There is a reason why its in literally every vehicle game. Someone, name one game with ground vehicles that does not have third person. I cannot think of one right now.

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I would hope that with these great looking cockpits we'll have support for TrackIR too, because I might just have to be a career pilot then.

Track IR shouldn't be supported, because it gives people an advantage over those without it.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-05-15 at 01:30 PM.
Old 2012-05-15, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Track IR shouldn't be supported, because it gives people an advantage over those without it.

Flight mechanics are going to be more realistic.

I do not have a joystick.

Should I ask that joystick support should be removed "because it gives people an advantage over those without it."?
Old 2012-05-15, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
Flight mechanics are going to be more realistic.

I do not have a joystick.

Should I ask that joystick support should be removed "because it gives people an advantage over those without it."?
If i could play Combat Flight Simulator: Battle for Europe. Without a joystick and it had really good mouse control, then i would have, but for some reason they insisted on making the / key and " keys and what not the keyboard versions to fly a plane. So a joystick will only give a slight advantage, practice enough with a mouse and you will be as good as any joystick user.
Old 2012-05-15, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Figment
Lieutenant General

The irony is the unit that needs third person least (since it can fly upside down and look around to get situational awareness from high above) is aircraft.

Completely disagree with Higby's assesment and I challenge him to play World of Tanks from a first person perspective without once switching to third person.

Just look up any World of Tanks video on youtube, wait for snipermode and imagine driving that way the coming 8 years.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-05-15 at 07:30 PM.
Old 2012-05-15, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post
People shouldn't have to pay a penalty for liking immersion. And why should you get a bonus for disliking it. Your just like the folks ho turned the grass of in PS1. You don't deserve a good looking game like this.
Lol this
Old 2012-05-15, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
The irony is the unit that needs third person least (since it can fly upside down and look around to get situational awareness from high above) is aircraft.
Situational awareness of the battlefield yes, but this is exactly why it's not that big a deal for aircraft to have it. Hovering stationary is asking for trouble, so there generally isn't much risk of players in aircraft using it for an unfair ambush. I rarely used third person to ambush people with ground vehicles in Planetside, but I never used it to ambush people with aircraft. It was possible, but not very practical or useful.

The situational awareness that third person really gives aircraft is seeing what's immediately around them for high speed maneuvers. Tanks drive relatively slow, and if they hit an obstacle, it gives them a little scratch. Aircraft are flying at relatively high speeds, and have lots of good reasons to be trying to weave their way through tight obstacles (like avoiding pursuit or lock-ons), and if they hit an obstacle, BOOM!

Now, saying all that, even though I'm a pilot, I'd actually prefer that either all vehicles had 3rd person or that none of them did. I don't think 3rd person provides enough of an advantage to ground vehicles to be a huge issue, and I don't think it's that essential to aircraft that it's that needed.

But I do think it's slightly more valuable and slightly less exploitable in aircraft, so I don't have a huge problem with their current plan.

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Completely disagree with Higby's assesment and I challenge him to play World of Tanks from a first person perspective without once switching to third person.

Just look up any World of Tanks video on youtube, wait for snipermode and imagine driving that way the coming 8 years.
That's not exactly a fair comparison. That's like suggesting that infantry would play with a zoomed in scope or in forced iron sights all the time.

We have seen the field of view on Vanguards and Magriders and it is sufficient for navigating. I don't disagree that it will be more awkward at times than if there were 3rd person, but it won't be too bad, especially if they have a freelook button to allow you to check your sides, and hopefully a reverse cam that you can check for backing up.
Old 2012-05-15, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
CutterJohn
Colonel

Would be ok with the idea of an equipment module that enabled the no cockpit/3rd person camera? Now its not free, you have to pay for it and its downside is not fitting something else there. The technology is plausible, or at least already existent in the game, so it fits RP and 'immersion'.

I'd much prefer them to be stock, but heck, I'll take anything I can get at this point.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-05-15 at 08:20 PM.
Old 2012-05-15, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Toppopia
Major

Would be ok with the idea of an equipment module that enabled the no cockpit/3rd person camera? Now its not free, you have to pay for it and its downside is not fitting something else there.
Or instead it shows camera angles on the sides and back of the tank as little computer screens so you can stay in first person and still see around you. Solution made better and realistic, and still forces 1st person. I think my job here is done.
Old 2012-05-15, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Sifer2
Major

There is a reason why its in literally every vehicle game. Someone, name one game with ground vehicles that does not have third person. I cannot think of one right now.

Red Orchestra 2.

What I like about that game is that if you want you can peek out the hatch of the tank to get a better view of where your going. But then someone can snipe your head off :P

It probably would not be terribly hard for them to add that feature to Planetside 2.
Old 2012-05-15, 09:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
Red Orchestra 2.

What I like about that game is that if you want you can peek out the hatch of the tank to get a better view of where your going. But then someone can snipe your head off :P

It probably would not be terribly hard for them to add that feature to Planetside 2.
Wow, that sounds amazing. Also have a MG mounted on top of the tank so that they can use it while being sniped at. Kind of hated how BF3 the tank had an invincible gunner protecting it from all directions so you couldn't sneak up and C4 it.
Old 2012-05-15, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Sifer2
Major

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Wow, that sounds amazing. Also have a MG mounted on top of the tank so that they can use it while being sniped at. Kind of hated how BF3 the tank had an invincible gunner protecting it from all directions so you couldn't sneak up and C4 it.

The MG gunner being exposed would be a tad unrealistic though. Even WW2 era tanks have the MG gunner inside. Though his arc of fire is not 360 degrees at least. It could be a hard point though. Like in Red Orchestra 2 if you shoot at the MG viewport usually the shot will penetrate an kill him if your using an anti-tank rifle. I don't expect Planetside 2 to try to hard to be a sim though. But letting drivers peek out the hatch for easier/riskier navigation would be great.
Old 2012-05-16, 01:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
Red Orchestra 2.

Red Orchestra is a game that goes for extreme realism. Games that restrict this are few and far between. There is no reason for PS2 to do so. It can be easily explained with simple technology they should be easily capable of at the time if immersion matters to you. Hell, they can add a drone graphic that floats above and behind the vehicle while in use. And the obvious fact that it will already be in the game for some vehicles. If done like PS1, it has only a very minor and very highly situational use for peeking around corners or over hills.

People hated 3rd person for infantry. I never heard a soul utter anything about it for vehicles. You'd think there would have been *some* complaints if it was so unpopular or imbalanced. This is a pointless change to fix an imbalance that never existed, and is something a great many people like using, even if they aren't vocal about it.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-05-16 at 01:36 AM.
Old 2012-05-16, 04:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Kipper
Captain

One solution would be a periscope/camera mounted on a telescopic pole that could be deployed, to give you a view from higher up.

This could be of benefit to all vehicles for being able to see over some obstacles and get overall situation awareness whilst still being locked 'inside' your vehicle.
Old 2012-05-16, 04:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Sifer2
Major

I really think your overstating how difficult it is to drive in first person. Especially something as slow as a tank. It really is not that hard. Especially since i'm sure they are going to provide a reverse camera when your backing up. And the tank turret will rotate your view so you can see stuff on your sides. If its like battlefield then driving the Sunderer will probably let you free look with the mouse out the windows as well. I had no problem driving jeeps first person in Battlefield hauling ass dodging trees left an right.

Third person camera for vehicles is just a huge crutch that a lot of people are used to. But it really is not necessary. Just a little practice an you will navigate just as well in first person. Only now you will be easier to sneak up on obviously, and can't see over hills without exposing yourself. Plus it gives them a reason to create really cool interior cockpit views an such while i'm loving so far.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion