Thrustpad [Jump Pad] Poll - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Work, meet Planetside. Planetside, meet unemployment.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Jump Pads (as seen)?
Yes 105 56.45%
No 81 43.55%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-19, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Thrustpad [Jump Pad] Poll

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
How would people feel about making it a sort of zipline system after the fashion of Bioshock Infinite's "Skylines"?
Interspersed throughout
Not that...whimsical probably, but just having a set of magnetized tracks run between the towers that could be used for quick transport.

That would be mechanically interchangeable with the launch pads but less likely to make people wonder if they'd walked into the wrong recruitment hut and accidentally joined the circus (It would explain the brightly colored uniform!).

Personally I'd remove the whole thing, but I'll presume there's some reason the devs went with the mechanics they choose.
I was actually thinking about something like that. I think it would feel a little more naturalistic for PS2.

It would also solve the problem of players heads popping up for snipers to hit from behind cover. Ziplining players would stay at a horizontal plain between their start and end point (unless the zipline itself went between a lower and higher point).

The only kind of strange thing would be seeing a MAX suit running along a zipline, but that probably wouldn't look any stranger than a MAX flying off a jump pad, so no real loss there.
Old 2012-05-19, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
dsi
Staff Sergeant

All I have to say is jumppads are going to be fucking hilarious when you get a full platoon trying to jump across base. SOE really didn't think this through.
Old 2012-05-19, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #138
Stardouser
Colonel

I'm thinking that if we get anti-personnel mines, sending in some minelaying teams to hit the jump pads with them should be one of the first moves.
Old 2012-05-19, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #139
Toppopia
Major

I'm gonna love chucking grenades into the pads like in halo, awesome way to kill anyone using them.
Old 2012-05-20, 01:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #140
Khorneholio
Private

Frankly... I'm floored at how many people like this.

This is the first thread I've read on the topic since watching the night-ops video. I fully expected to find a seething ball of nerdrage over this "Wile E Coyote, looney Tunes, ACME giant spring human catapult crap.

Instead I find the yeas outnumbering the nays...

:Boggle:

-CDL- Dragonwolves
Old 2012-05-20, 01:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #141
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Khorneholio View Post
Frankly... I'm floored at how many people like this.
If you look at the "base design variety" poll you'll see that at least some of us are open-minded individuals. We don't want every base to be like this, but to have one or a few that are different livens things up.

Speaks well for the future of the game imo. We can be OPS(TM)/Halo/UT all rolled into one huge game. Why would you play any other?
Old 2012-05-20, 02:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #142
Timealude
Captain

Im sure it would help if the jump pad were powered by a gen and if you took out the gen, It would disable the pads. I dont mind them being in the game as I can see the point of them being there. I dont think I would hate to be in a MAX having to try and get across one of those bases on foot, since we dont even know if the MAX running mode is still in the game as well as the vanu MAXs jump ability is gone, It would take a good 5 minutes to help reinforce the other side of the base.
Old 2012-05-20, 04:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #143
OcO
Private

Originally Posted by Timealude View Post
Im sure it would help if the jump pad were powered by a gen and if you took out the gen, It would disable the pads. I dont mind them being in the game as I can see the point of them being there. I dont think I would hate to be in a MAX having to try and get across one of those bases on foot, since we dont even know if the MAX running mode is still in the game as well as the vanu MAXs jump ability is gone, It would take a good 5 minutes to help reinforce the other side of the base.
The bolded part is exactly why I personally DON'T want jump pads in.

Lets not encourage tactics like scouting the enemy's movements so we know which direction they are coming from and can deploy accordingly. Lets do away with trying to be sneaky and pulling the enemy away from the main attack force so they are not ready when we attack from the south and not the north like it looked like we were doing. Hell why not just do away with the large maps entirely and only have 1 hex to fight over so no-one is ever more than a few seconds away from any fight? /sarcasm off.

As a generality I am against fast travel options in most any game. Especially so when you are talking about the possibility of moving hundreds of players around extremely fast.
Old 2012-05-20, 06:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #144
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
If you look at the "base design variety" poll you'll see that at least some of us are open-minded individuals. We don't want every base to be like this, but to have one or a few that are different livens things up.

Speaks well for the future of the game imo. We can be OPS(TM)/Halo/UT all rolled into one huge game. Why would you play any other?
Jump pads aren't really an issue of base design variety IMO. They are a gameplay mechanic.

That said, the gap is closing on this poll, slowly but surely the supporters are losing ground.
Old 2012-05-20, 06:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #145
PredatorFour
Major

I dont mind this that much, the caves did have similiar mechanics in PS 1. Im more concerned about the TTK tbh. If you remember what it was like to spawn/die/spawn/die in ps 1 defending a base, imagine what it will be like now when we die even faster ... and with more people playing.
Old 2012-05-20, 07:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #146
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Jump pads aren't really an issue of base design variety IMO. They are a gameplay mechanic.

That said, the gap is closing on this poll, slowly but surely the supporters are losing ground.
The base design poll is a bit more nuanced (puffing myself, I know ). That poll shows that peeps enjoy variety.

This poll shows that put against the wall, people would rather not have only maniacal man cannons in their bases.
Old 2012-05-20, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #147
Tikuto
Major

Angry DO NOT WANT

No.

Never.

I'd rather have the Light Assault have a unique function where when approaching location of previous 'jump pad' location, they are prompt to do a jump-thrust action into location like the previous 'jump pad'. I say previous because I really don't want to see them again.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)

Last edited by Tikuto; 2012-05-20 at 08:17 AM.
Old 2012-05-20, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #148
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post

To be fair, it's been pretty even, with an edge towards supporting them, for pretty much most of the polls existence. The poll is staying pretty much the same, with a lot of people against them and slightly more in favor of them.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion