bullet speed - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You! Out of the gene pool
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-31, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
the_badness
Private

bullet speed

I'm sure this was probably asked before, but i'm sort of a noob at this and only now am starting to get interested in the game. But i've never really played tribes, i'm a CS player. Are the bullet travel times going to be around the same speed as tribes? like lets say an assult rifle of the common pool compared to the chaingun in tribes.

God Is In His Heaven Alls Right With The World - NERV
Old 2002-12-31, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Cuthbert
Private

You mean, are the bullets going to be entities and have velocities, or if it's an instant hit type scenario? I do not know this either, I am interested.
Old 2002-12-31, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hamma
PSU Admin

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-31, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

Well I played the Delta Force series, and all bullets had the same speed, but they could be dodged. You couldn't like see it coming and then dodge but if you're moving the spray is landing around you. It makes it a little bit more difficult, but it got easy after a while.

"Guess I've drank the planetside kool-aid already, but this game looks like it will be unbelievably good." - Airlift
Old 2002-12-31, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
the_badness
Private

i'm talkin like for tribes, you could basically see every bullet coming at you and easily dodge them if you had a little distance between each other, but for something like Counter-Strike, you can't dodge anything if your opponents crosshair is right on you. Does PS have bullets so slow that u can basically see them coming and easily dodge them or do they AT LEAST fly a bit faster so that u can still see them and dodge them un-intentionally while running around (but they fly too fast to actually dodge them intentionally), or are they just an instant hit type of thing.

cause i was thinking that if the projectiles in PS were as slow as tribes then it would be extremely hard to hit flying vehicles, and that's got me a bit worried

God Is In His Heaven Alls Right With The World - NERV

Last edited by the_badness; 2002-12-31 at 11:34 AM.
Old 2002-12-31, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Civilian
Contributor
Major

I would also be interested in an answer on this. However, I can tell you, just from watching the videos on this very site, It doesn't look like you can see the bullets coming, but you do see players strafing (similar to what you do in RTCW) in close combat in an attempt to dodge bullets. Not sure if that's what you consider "dodging" though.

But I don't know for sure
Old 2002-12-31, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Camping Carl
Major

It seemed to me that in the videos, the person playing aimed at their target, not ahead of it. It would also make more sense to have insta-hit bullets if you wanted to improve speed somewhat. It wouldn't speed up framerates noticably, but it might help during large battles.

Vanu still suck....
Old 2002-12-31, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

Even if strafing didn't work, that's an instinct, I always strafe when I'm being shot at. It's become an instinct for many people, I'm sure it's also an instinct for the gamespot people. So they might of been doing it automatically.

"Guess I've drank the planetside kool-aid already, but this game looks like it will be unbelievably good." - Airlift
Old 2002-12-31, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

You can see the projectile or energy beam moving through the air, but you can't dodge it like in Tribes. The projectiles move very quickly.
Old 2002-12-31, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

I'm sure strafing would work to an extent, making it harder for them to aim... Also allowing you to spray bullets at them, which gets on your nerves quite fast.

Old 2002-12-31, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

I hope the bullets have speed, but it is very high, as in comprable to real-life assault riffles. The bullets in Tribes went too slow in my opinion, but insta-hit over the distances we're talking about doesn't seem realistic with the exception of some of the vanu weapons.

You could make it so that different weapons have diferent bullet velocities, such as Punisher and cycler useing the same bullet speed, but gauss and bolt-driver go signifigantly faster.

To everyone who thinks snipers may be overpowered, this would force them to lead their targets some, less than other rifles because of extreamly high bullet velocity, but it would still be something.
Old 2002-12-31, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

It depends on the distance. Having actual projectiles will make hitting a moving target, or even a stationary target from a distance rather difficult. You'll need to lead your target if he's moving, and that compounded with the fact that your projectiles will diverge considerably the farther your target is away means ranged fighting with an assault rifle will likely take a while before one side ends up killing the other.
Old 2002-12-31, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

... but insta-hit over the distances we're talking about doesn't seem realistic with the exception of some of the vanu weapons.
Vanu weapons aren't instant-hit either.
Old 2002-12-31, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Omega
Private

There should be speeds

There should definately be different bullet / energy blast speeds in my opinion. Just having a insta-hit would be extreamly dumb in my opinion.

In many games strifing does help you "dodge" bullets. I bring this game up alot because simply it rocks. SOCOM on PS2 has different bullet speeds I believe and you can sometimes see the bullets flying at you. Although it's very difficult to just dodge a bullet strifing does increase your changes of not being hit. The less powerful guns also do less damage the further you are away and become even less accurate. SOCOM definately has a good balance in my mind about bullet speed/ damage/ accuracy.

But what do I know... I'm just a player, not a dev...... NOT YET

I am ever-lasting and like any infinity and am never ending.

-Omega
Old 2002-12-31, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Strafing helps you dodge the other player's targetting reticle, not the bullets. The aim is to have him firing where you aren't. Very few games have bullets which travel at a rate that actually allow you to see the bullet, and react by moving out of its path.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion