Destroying Structures - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We all know what egg is but what the hell is nog
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-06-01, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SirDart
Private

Destroying Structures

I think it would add a really cool dimension to have buildings that can be destroyed. I know we have the main control centers and towers, which cannot be damaged or destroyed, but why not have nearby structures that could be very useful cover, but could be destroyed, or 'damaged' and then either be manually repaired or self-repair if no combat is occurring nearby after some amount of time like 30 minutes.

Imagine how the battle strategy would change if you had easy cover to take, but once it is destroyed, you don't have that cover anymore, and have to expose your troops to get to another area of cover! Either that or you would choose to flank from another direction.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Re: Destroying Structures

Without a round that ends this system would level out all the destructible cover too easily.

Battles can last a long time without moving much and all the destructible cover would be gone so fast and wouldn't come back.

Also the more cover the better in a game like this with so many people
Old 2012-06-01, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
SirDart
Private

What about structures that could disrupt vehicle movement, such as the TRAPs they added in PS1? They can be very useful, and similarly could have stuff that provides cover for infantry. These could be added as deployables later on, with some type of ACE kit.
Old 2012-06-01, 11:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by SirDart View Post
What about structures that could disrupt vehicle movement, such as the TRAPs they added in PS1? They can be very useful, and similarly could have stuff that provides cover for infantry. These could be added as deployables later on, with some type of ACE kit.
its possible the engineer will have them.
Old 2012-06-01, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by SirDart View Post
Now thats an idea I can get behind
Old 2012-06-04, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

I think you could do it in the same manner as the jump pads -- don't have EVERYTHING be destructible, but make it enough stuff so it still changes the dynamics of the battles, and also have both passive non-combat self-repairing (no combat in the hex for 15 minutes or whatever and it automatically repairs itself, perhaps in stages and can be destroyed in stages as well -- think BF3) or can also be repaired by engineers.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Dagron
Captain

Wintergrasp is coming.
Oh gawd, run!

Nah, i mock but it's actually a good idea as long as it's well done.

However i think it's not very high on the priority list and it'd take a lot of changes to be implemented... i don't see it even on a not so near future.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-04 at 01:00 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Runlikethewind
Private

Engineers could have the ability to repair said destructible structures on top of any kind of passive repair when a battle has moved on.
Old 2012-06-04, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
mirwalk
Sergeant

I can understand the allure of the destruction of buildings. Might be something that can't be done due to all the other stuff in the way. Like netcode for all the players, they may have not wanted to slow down peoples computers with extra bits and things to keep track of.

Engineers should be able to rebuild these structures, problem is, you need to give them reason to. If I was a defender I would want no cover out there so I have full field of fire. So we would blow it all up and no engin would be able to fix due to the withering fire from within.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault