Gameplay: High Altitude Capture Base - Control the Orbital Strike - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wear gloves
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-05-31, 01:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Zekeen
Major

Lightbulb High Altitude Capture Base - Control the Orbital Strike

Before I go on with idea, I want to state that this isn't for EVERY continent, but would be a nice feature to be added into a FUTURE continent. Limiting an ability would be very detrimental, but having it in one of 4 or more continents turns it into a feature for said map.

An ALTERNATIVE way of implementation will be provided at the bottom half of this post on how to implement it in CURRENT maps without any extra work on the continents.

The idea is this - Add in a high altitude "flagship" type base that acts as an aerial staging area and is how Orbital Strikes are allowed for that continent.

The base is simple, it's a large aerial craft, described similarly in many of the outfit command ship idea posts, except it's much bigger, because it's a base that can be captured.

The base is a simple concept apart from its shape.

It has a couple of aircraft vehicle pads to launch aircraft against the ground forces below.

It has several anti air defenses, but is so high that any enemy outside of its high altitude influence could not be harmed.

It is stationary, mobility would not make any sense for a base.

It will have anti infantry turrets on the landing area to force invading forces to destroy them before mounting a raid.

While it will be an infantry battle on the inside, light vehicles could be dropped in for use in attack or defense (a real surprise for the enemy).

Once captured, it allows the owning empire to use Orbital Strikes, denying the other two.

----------------------------------

Now, for an ALTERNATIVE style of how this base gives a bonus.

Rather than CONTROLLING Orbital Strikes, have the owner of the base get a DISCOUNT on OS as well as an UPGRADE.

Now, we're not talking free OS, or cheap OS, we're talking slight reduction in cost, up to 20% off (20% is the typical variation in PS2 after all).

ALSO, before the power upgrade seems overpowered, this is a "minor" bonus. Higby has stated that the OS could be increased in size and volley count, this bonus would increase one or the other. You would have 3 volleys fired instead of 2, or a size 4 OS instead of a size 3. This does compound with the discount, so it might be best for one or the other to be given.

Never the less, this would be a sizable motivation toward taking it over without being anything too game changing.

-----------------------------------------

Now that I have given two perks that this base has as well as how it would operate, there is probably a need to explain WHY this base should exist.

Being high altitude it's out of the way of the rest of the map, occupying a central hex instead of a minor camp instead. This means it won't cause any problem to the hex system and is more than easy to place.

The position of it high up in the clouds prevents interaction from ground forces and gives a new edge to the fun of air combat. The new base designs already give a lot to aircraft, but having a unique base that demand aerial attention will breathe even more life into the game, something far different but not too far off.

It would be a base not impacted by ground assault vehicles, except by light vehicles dropped by only the craftiest of Galaxy pilots. This would make it the only base with it being Infantry and Air only, another unique fact about it.

I hope you all enjoy this idea. And just for the record - Imagine having outfit air cruisers fighting over this as well. Impact the chaos and carnage that would surge with it.

If anyone has any better ideas or want to point out a fallacy, let me know.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Re: High Altitude Capture Base - Control the Orbital Strike

I like the concept of this -- very interesting and I think could definitely be fun. The one concern I have would be if this would detract unnecessarily from the ground battle going on below, but this is total speculation based on unsubstantial subjective bias I have about how I think the game will play.

And also just on the realism side of things, yeah....I guess my opinion is that I know this is a scifi game, but it's still based on a lot of real life concepts; this isn't miyazaki's castle in the sky. Other than that, very interesting idea and very much in line with a bunch of other ideas I've had for making the total battle more 3 dimensional.
Old 2012-06-04, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Dagron
Captain

I like that idea. It would create a slightly different type of base assault (no ground vehicles).
I do worry about the attacking team's "reinforcements" time though... Galaxies and squad spawning would bring in the infantry, but aircrafts would take a considerable time to redeploy.

btw: haha, when i saw the title with "base" and "control orbital strike" on it i thought you were going to suggest a space station.
It actually would be pretty much the same but with reduced gravity i suppose, and different ways to access it.
Hell, now i want to play in a space-station "continent"...

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-04 at 01:27 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
I like that idea. It would create a slightly different type of base assault (no ground vehicles).
I do worry about the attacking team's "reinforcements" time though... Galaxies and squad spawning would bring in the infantry, but aircrafts would take a considerable time to redeploy.

btw: haha, when i saw the title with "base" and "control orbital strike" on it i thought you were going to suggest a space station.
It actually would be pretty much the same but with reduced gravity i suppose, and different ways to access it.
Hell, now i want to play in a space-station "continent"...
How very nice to see this idea get some praise out of the blue, I thought it had died.

I never said "no vehicles"

Imagine having a light vehicle dropped in all the sudden (you know it will happen). An AI and AA battle going on, with an armored vehicle suddenly appearing and requiring AV to be deployed. It could help push up the front lines. Or even get some tanks set up for the defense beforehand.

One thing is, the base won't detract from ground battles. It'll be a linked base, meaning, take over the adjoining hex before assaulting it. A place to deploy better air tactics from, you're already very high. Galaxy drops would be easier if everyone starts from 800 meters in the sky, just move horizontally. A key spot to take over, but it won't hurt ground combat for long unless it becomes a spot an empire eyes for the tactical advantage.

Oh, and we'll get space "continent" battles eventually. Everyone wants it, so they're going to add it, it's a really cool venue for the game. Expect them to put out new aircraft and ground vehicles before that though, but I bet they work on it along the way.

Last edited by Zekeen; 2012-06-04 at 01:38 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
I never said "no vehicles"
My bad, i didn't say it right. What i meant was that without heavy tanks and such, the combat dinamycs would be different and i like the idea of different playstyles all over the place.

Also, what do you mean by:
Galaxy drops would be easier if everyone starts from 800 meters in the sky, just move horizontally. A key spot to take over, but it won't hurt ground combat for long unless it becomes a spot an empire eyes for the tactical advantage.

Finally:
Oh, and we'll get space "continent" battles eventually. Everyone wants it, so they're going to add it, it's a really cool venue for the game. Expect them to put out new aircraft and ground vehicles before that though, but I bet they work on it along the way.
Hey, good to hear. I started thinking about making a thread about it, but since you say it has already come up i'll just hit the search and see what were some of the ideas.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-04 at 02:00 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I want space battles over the continents, centering around orbital stations that control OSs and drop pod spawning on the continent below.

I was putting together a concept on my upgrade project site, here is the pic:

Old 2012-06-04, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
My bad, i didn't say it right. What i meant was that without heavy tanks and such, the combat dinamycs would be different and i like the idea of different playstyles all over the place.

Also, what do you mean by:
I know what you meant, I'm just re-iterating the fact that getting vehicles up there is a difficult maneuver to REALLY make the battles interesting.

And by that I meant that if you're not having to raise your altitude from the ground and are already high up, you can get to a location faster and are less likely to be intercepted by enemy fighters, making it easier to drop troops from high altitudes.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault