Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS..... - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Aren't there bears "outside"?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-06, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Tasorin
Staff Sergeant

Re: Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS.....

Pros do both.

I am going to run and gun in an organized fashion with my squad, and I am going to quickly switch in and out of iron sights for spotting and precision marksmanship.

Sometimes a double tap in iron sights gets the job done much more efficiently then controlled bursts in a run and gun on a hit box.

If you just want a run and gun frag fest there are plenty of up and coming games that will be doing just this. Personally I like getting in some Tribes Ascend action just to fulfill my blood lust for quick twitch killing sprees and jump jet mayhem.
Old 2012-01-06, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
inigma
Sergeant

In all honesty I prefer the sighting used in PlanetSide 1. If people want iron sights, please make it optional and not the game default. This is this vet's feedback. The sighting in PS1 made for greater situational awareness, which is a must in a mmofps.
Old 2012-01-06, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Ehh. I wish it did not have ironsights. But im open to it.

This is the reason I have not been talking alot on the forums. I am getting sick of the speculation that comes when waiting for this game to come out. When the beta comes out and I try it, i will give you my opinion lol
Old 2012-01-06, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by morf View Post
I see iron sights as a way to possibly cut down on that guy... You've seen him before; the guy who sees the enemy line, runs to it and ADADADADAD right in front of them while the 20 people behind him are facepalming because they can't get a shot in.

Anything that means less of that guy is a great change imo.
Ironsights please.

Last edited by Bittermen; 2012-01-06 at 10:24 AM.
Old 2012-01-06, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I'd hope that aiming without iron sights would be quite possible, just a bit less accurate at longer ranges.

I see no reason why it needs to be as inaccurate as it is in a lot of games to shoot without the iron sights. I don't even think of it as shooting from the hip, I just think of it like shooting without carefully lining yourself up. You should still have your gun raised, braced and at the ready, while still being able to move quickly.

Iron sites should just be a mechanism where you can gain that extra bit of accuracy that you need to make shots at longer range.

A nice compromise would be if they made regular firing be extremely effective at up to 30 meters, shooting with a laser sight be accurate at up to 100 meters, and shooting with iron sites be accurate up to 300 meters (scopes should only make it easier to aim, not make the gun any more accurate).

The only "gunning from the hip" stuff that should be going on is if you can fire while sprinting, which you probably shouldn't be able to do anyways.

Just make firing without the sights be reasonably accurate and make the sights be slightly more accurate at long range. I want regular rifles to be effective at ranges a lot longer than in PS1. Snipers should just be that much longer still, with that much more accuracy.
Old 2012-01-06, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

My opinion: The "thing" we have seen in the video is hopefully just a placeholder, as it looks pretty lame and is just wrong.

I would suggest giving the guns holographic sights. They look fairly "futuristic" and would/could be the default sight for all assault rifles or submachines guns.

Keep the iron sight option to pistols.
Old 2012-01-06, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Draep
Master Sergeant

This thread: TL;DR with misleading title. If you don't like ironsights, I suggest playing a much easier game like Crash Bandicoot, maybe My Little Pony has a game series out, I'd prefer to see garbage people like that in their own separate but equal gamespace, but I digress.

Just stop, it's getting hard to even come here just to read for the latest news. Fucking Luddites.
Old 2012-01-06, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

They've been saying all along that customization will allow you to tailor the game to your play style. This should mean that if you prefer not to use iron sights, you can pick side grades that make hip firing more effective. It's a win win for everyone.
Old 2012-01-06, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Draep View Post
This thread: TL;DR with misleading title. If you don't like ironsights, I suggest playing a much easier game like Crash Bandicoot, maybe My Little Pony has a game series out, I'd prefer to see garbage people like that in their own separate but equal gamespace, but I digress.

Just stop, it's getting hard to even come here just to read for the latest news. Fucking Luddites.
Troll much?

News at eleven, people have their own playstyles that they enjoy. Yours does not make you superior or hardcore. And people need a place to provide feedback to make sure that their thoughts go to PS2 developers. These forums seem provide that since the developers and marketers read and post here.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-01-06 at 12:04 PM.
Old 2012-01-06, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Draep View Post
If you don't like ironsights, I suggest playing a much easier game like Crash Bandicoot, maybe My Little Pony has a game series out,
Iron sights makes things easier, don't know why you're pretending you have to be leet to use them. old school twitch shooters take way more skill than iron sighted fights
Old 2012-01-06, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Weapons should basically shoot where they're pointing.
So that means when you're sprinting it's bouncing all over the place and when it's at your hip the lines of sight don't match up so you can't hit anything that isn't right in front of you. And when you're standing still and not looking down the gun it's pointing off from the center of the screen except at some arbitrary intersection in the distance.
So when you need to hit the guy across the room or across the field you have to bring up _insert sighting mechanism X_ where X is ironsights, a scope, some fancy holographic thing, whatever.

As an aside:
Shotguns and grenade launchers absolutely need sights. Well, maybe not the retarded-scatter-everwhere-FPS-shotgun but a shotgun is not a 10-foot-radius-of-pellet-shooter. They actually work at substantial ranges. The BF games are taking steps in the right direction recently. I hope others follow.
Grenade launchers and other high-arc guns need them for proper ranging, more than rifles. I'd be very cool for an FPS to finally implement the noob-tube sight properly.
Rocketlaunchers often have sighting rifles that match the rocket balistics for proper aiming.

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Iron sights makes things easier, don't know why you're pretending you have to be leet to use them. old school twitch shooters take way more skill than iron sighted fights
Pleanty of people say aiming down sights is harder. It's all bullshit, it's just different. You just want your prefered way to be seen as superior for X arbitrary reason.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-01-06 at 12:21 PM.
Old 2012-01-06, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
YES
+9001
Old 2012-01-06, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
Pleanty of people say aiming down sights is harder. It's all bullshit, it's just different. You just want your prefered way to be seen as superior for X arbitrary reason.
how can either way be harder? either way you're still basically putting a cursor over a target and tracking it, only difference is iron sights are slower moving and limit your field of view.

Personally i can play with either quite happily, i think it'll be detemental to the game if IDS is the only way to play since it is conducive to camping.
Old 2012-01-06, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

I know I DON"T NEED THEM

I'd prefer they NOT be added. I have always found it to be an awkward mechanic.

WHO CARES WHAT'S HIP OR THE NORM ?

WHO DEFINES WHAT IS CUTTING EDGE ?

I say no to Iron Sights.

Last edited by Chaff; 2012-01-06 at 12:43 PM.
Old 2012-01-06, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Draep
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
Troll much?

News at eleven, people have their own playstyles that they enjoy. Yours does not make you superior or hardcore. And people need a place to provide feedback to make sure that their thoughts go to PS2 developers. These forums seem provide that since the developers and marketers read and post here.
One playstyle, ironsights will be (sorry, is) added to the game, the other (who even knows what you're advocating, are you seriously suggesting/believing that they will develop an alternative aiming system to appease a bunch of old planetside players who don't make up their target audience?) will most likely be left out.

I'm not reveling in my victory, just wish these forums weren't so cluttered.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion