Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS..... - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Unofficially the most official unofficial fansite.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-06, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Draep
Master Sergeant

Re: Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS.....

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
Their target audience is old Planetside players. That's evident from the amount of the old Planetside features are being left in the game.
Old planetside players make up less than one tenth of a percent of the total gaming market. Source. They're keeping old features because they would work and look good to anyone who likes FPS.

Last edited by Hamma; 2012-01-06 at 04:45 PM.
Old 2012-01-06, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

He mad. Way to show what vets are like bro.
Old 2012-01-06, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by GTGD View Post

2. GET RID OF ADADADADADAD. As a product of CSHD, it was the #1 worst part of PS. Strafing is fine, but warping around like a moron is just frustrating. Also hopefully momentum will be implemented so that you can't still mash the buttons with zero momentum loss. I don't anticipate this to be a problem with PhysX but it is important to prevent ridiculous movements of characters.
Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
I agree with all your points, in fact iv said the same things on many occasions. It does certainly slow down combat and reduce movement, which most people who played planetside will praise, but thats because they don't understand netcode and why people warp in planetside and they fear movement in PS2, but they're idiots.

Like i said Idiots... warping in PS2 is the result of Planetsides movement prediction system(It predicts, unlike other games that dont predict, they render movement at a delayed pace between the last packets received) and the game running at 5 ticks per second, most FPS games run at around 30. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CSHD.

Also again, Halo series is the highest selling series of alltime it does not have ADS
Counter strike is the most popular computer FPS on PC...still.
TF2 is still very popular, just as popular as MW3 infact even though the games is alot older...anyway...the stats speak for themselves, games with COF aiming are timeless, ADS games get thrown out every year.

It probably says something by itself that valve exclusively use COF.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-06, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

games with COF aiming are timeless, ADS games get thrown out every year. It probably says something by itself that valve exclusively use COF.
Planetside had COF aiming, and it wasn't timeless. And no it says nothing. Game's like Counter Strike and TF2 are popular for their communities and their game play, as much as Modern Warfare and Battlefield are. Their aiming systems are about .02% of game play.
Old 2012-01-06, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Coreldan
Colonel

Also note that games like CoD and BF are released every year due to money making reasons and what not. TF2 and CSS are both like the "most recent games of the sequel" and are like.. god knows how many years old already too. So it's quite wrong to even imply that the aiming system had anything to do with BF and CoD being released annually while CS and TF2 not.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-01-06, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
SKYeXile
Major General

Planetside had COF aiming, and it wasn't timeless. And no it says nothing. Game's like Counter Strike and TF2 are popular for their communities and their game play, as much as Modern Warfare and Battlefield are. Their aiming systems are about .02% of game play.
cool stat's you madeup there bro...care to review the real stats above again?

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-01-06, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
In it you'll see combat that is just as fast as the vid Arrow posted. And you'll notice that Karter uses a pretty good mix of ADS and hip-firing. CoD2's hip-firing accuracy is actually pretty good for a map of this size and complexity since both tactics are used quite often. For PS2 the Devs just need to find the right balance given the scale of PS2 maps.
You made excellent points. However, COD2 - one of my favorite LAN party games - is a bad example of how to use iron sights. There needs to be an actual delay (which can be different for each weapon) that makes the choice of when to use iron sights a matter of skill. In COD2 it was all about quick scoping with all weapons which took away the choice.

In the Planetside 2 video you can see the player firing "from the hip" at 8 seconds then instantly switching to iron sights with no penalty. Doesn't even stop firing. At 14 seconds he's taking long shots without switching to iron sights which should be a valid choice with penalties and advantages. I definitely think moving slower should be one of them if you get an accuracy boost and your CoF goes down faster.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-01-06 at 04:56 PM.
Old 2012-01-06, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

cool stat's you madeup there bro...care to review the real stats above again?

Why doesn't SOE release a game with a black room, nothing in it, give the players a COF system and only 1 gun to play around with. It'd be a commercial success according to you.
Old 2012-01-06, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
SKYeXile
Major General

Why doesn't SOE release a game with a black room, nothing in it, give the players a COF system and only 1 gun to play around with. It'd be a commercial success according to you.
aslong as the black room is only .02% of the gameplay.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-01-06, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Coreldan
Colonel

I guess in a way it could also be compared to WoW. The game is quite dated in it's mechanics and MANY new MMORPGs have done SEVERAL things better than WoW, but WoW just has the ball rolling so hard and good support and good devs and all that, that the quality of the WHOLE package keeps people playing the dated game with dated mechanics.

Valve is pretty much one of the biggest companies out there. It is totally stupid to really even try to reach Valve's or Blizzards success for a gaming company

People are different, but two things both TF2 and CS have in common. Neither have "proper" gunplay and I have never enjoyed playing either of them.

Old 2012-01-06, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Your stats don't show that COF is what makes a game successful. You just listed popular COF games ON STEAM and said they were successful because of it, which is wrong because there are other successful games that didn't have COF. And don't tell me that Battlefield and COD aren't successful.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-01-06 at 05:04 PM.
Old 2012-01-06, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Arrow
Corporal

Still that CoD video doesnt really do any justice. Complete different gameplay. Planetside definitely had the arcadey feel to it.

Watch both movies and look at what takes more skill? I personally find the battlefield games boring cause they provide no challenge. Dying in one to 2 shots is extremely frustrating and to accomplish-able by any individual playing the game. To be good at quake or even planetside it didnt necessarily take a lot of time and effort but there was a nice learning curve that always had you challenged. The need for you to want to land every shot as opposed to dumping a clip down an alley way while going prone to spray your enemy down does not appeal to me in any fashion.
Old 2012-01-06, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Coreldan
Colonel

ADS doesnt have to have anything to do with low TTK, though. BF3 on normal is also too arcade for my taste, hardcore is doable That said, I don't want 1 shot kills or so to Planetside and not saying that, but having ironsights does not mean that the damage model has to be "realistic".

That said, I could never even imagine myself playing Quake, games that arcade hold no value to me. You can't really say either which game takes more skill or if low or high TTK takes more skill, they are pretty much different skill sets.

Old 2012-01-06, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

Every FPS since 2003 has focused on iron sight's. People focus far to much aiming down an iron sight rather then focusing on the battle surrounding them self's. I think the zoom aspect is important for snipers and long rang attacks, but lets not make this a BF3 or COD game where everyone and their grandma is iron sighted 24/7.

By the way; iron sight makes video's really, really lame. As 99% of the video that someone shot is someone looking down an iron sight.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-01-06, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
SKYeXile
Major General

Your stats don't show that COF is what makes a game successful. You just listed popular COF games ON STEAM and said they were successful because of it, which is wrong because there are other successful games that didn't have COF. And don't tell me that Battlefield and COD aren't successful.
I did sorta say that, but people are under the assumption that ADS is more popular in gaming, im proven them wrong, with facts. thats not to say ADS isnt popular though that would be a ludicrus claim, there is over 200k people playing BF3 right now...but then there is god how many knows playing halo.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion