Why didnt PS make it big? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The Other Other White Meat!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-01-29, 08:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
This reminds me, why do games continue putting VOIP right into games when literally nobody uses it? Why can't they spend that dev time on something else. VOIP is already covered pretty well by all sorts of other apps.
It's definitely an appeal to get the more casual gamer to use voice comm, but it's a waste because you have to be a relatively hardcore gamer to A) bother with pc gaming in the first place and B) want to use voice comm enough to buy and setup a headset to work on your pc. Those are the real hurdles. If you have a headset and you want to use voice comm, using a third party app is not a problem.

I can sympathize with the devs though. After taking a few years off from pc gaming, I have definitely come to appreciate the superiority of the console when it comes to voice communication. Xbox live voice chat definitely lacks the bells & whistles of a TS or vent, but the ubiquity of voice comm across the platform is pretty great, even though I choose not to use it 90% of the time.
Old 2011-01-29, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Why didnt PS make it big?

Originally Posted by LesserShade View Post
I can sympathize with the devs though. After taking a few years off from pc gaming, I have definitely come to appreciate the superiority of the console when it comes to voice communication. Xbox live voice chat definitely lacks the bells & whistles of a TS or vent, but the ubiquity of voice comm across the platform is pretty great, even though I choose not to use it 90% of the time.
I take it you've never played one of valve's online game. Voice chat works fine in it. Consoles don't have superior voice communications.
Old 2011-01-30, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Why didnt PS make it big?

Im not sure if superiority was the word he was looking for. But one thing is true about consoles, it's always the same config and there's no options for alternatives. Which means that it's standardization across the platform does make it superior to PC.

Sure valve's in game voice works pretty well as far as in game voice systems go. But it's not a standardized system.. if that makes sense.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-01-30, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Im not sure if superiority was the word he was looking for. But one thing is true about consoles, it's always the same config and there's no options for alternatives. Which means that it's standardization across the platform does make it superior to PC.

Sure valve's in game voice works pretty well as far as in game voice systems go. But it's not a standardized system.. if that makes sense.
Yeah that's what I was getting at.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion