"Damage Dealing Markers" Curiosity Poll - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: dude, wheres my cd key?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What are your feelings towards Hit Markers?
[Mostly] Positive 80 86.02%
[Mostly] Negative 13 13.98%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-13, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

"Damage Dealing Markers" Curiosity Poll

Damage Dealing Markers aka Hit Markers - Graphical confirmation of hit on player's crosshair, apearing every time player deals damage.

So have anyone of you ever wondered how simple it is to play when the game tells you when you damage somebody? I'm sure devs won't change the thing, because it's something that IS set in stone for any modern FPS, but I just want to know who thinks the hit markers are just another way to oversimplify gameplay...

I'm adding only Black/White options, because even I would vote "IDC" if there is such an option.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-03-13 at 10:39 AM.
Old 2012-03-13, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Xaine
Major

Re: "Damage Dealing Markers" Curiosity Poll

I actually like them.

I couldn't tell you why, and I could probably live without them. But i like them.

Plus they were in PS1 so it's fine lololol
Old 2012-03-13, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Highwind
Corporal

To be honest I almost didn't notice the Hit Markers in the GDC demo, they are more subtle compared to PS1's orange circle flash and that is a good thing. As for the effects on gameplay or combat "feel" I think they are a good thing, even more so because they are still there now but they aren't as overwhelming anymore.
Old 2012-03-13, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Coreldan
Colonel

I come from milsim'ish shooters, so I like realism and all that, but overall I like hit markers. Not to the point where I'd rise on the barricades to get them in every game possible, but more so that I dont mind em at all, perhaps to a point where I even like them!

The reason is that the feedback is often valuable, even if perhaps unrealistic. I've really enjoyed games that didnt even have a killspam chat to know if you killed someone, you just had to go with the gutfeeling that you think you got them, but you couldnt always be sure. But still, it's still nice to have the hitmarkers cos sometimes without em you get these "god damn I hit him like 10 times already" while in reality you probably didn't even hit him. It's nice to know when the server actually thinks you hit them or not.

The only time I sorta disagree with them is with indirect weapons. I have to admit I abuse it a lot in BF3, throw a grenade somewhere you don't see. If you get the hit marker but no one died, rush them cos theres 100% someone there who is no longer full health That said, I abuse the report/marking function more. I only play hardcore, so I dont get the 3d markers, but if I see an abnormal'ish blip on the distance, I spam Q nearby and if my character goes "enemy sniper etc etc", I start shooting. Also works through bushes and leaves etc..

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-03-13 at 08:54 AM.
Old 2012-03-13, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

I remember when BF1942 came out and didn't have hit indicators at first. Since you couldn't really see your shots either, you couldn't tell if you hit something or not. I got my ass kicked, because I didn't know how to fire the guns in order to score a hit.
Old 2012-03-13, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
XLynxX
Corporal

Hit markers are very important imo, not only for a player to tell if they are hitting someone and guess how close to death they are or to improve their aim mid-fight. But also for hit detection bugs and discovering them. To know if there are guns that have terrible hit detection and though the bullets are connecting you aren't doing damage. Borderlands doesn't have hit icons and honestly I find it one of the most annoying things in that game.
Old 2012-03-13, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Alduron
Sergeant

I think they are extremely important. It would be pretty hard to tell if you were hitting someone from larger distances. It would be silly to not have them.
Old 2012-03-13, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Canaris
Contributor
General

I like DDM's, definite must have for PS2

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-03-13, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Stardouser
Colonel

I don't mind hit markers. What I do mind is things like 3D spotting and killcam that are Robin Hood features.

I'm aware killcam won't be like that as of now, I'm just saying.
Old 2012-03-13, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Heh, it would also be cool to hear devs opinions on these. I mean this poll is for the sake of poll, not for the sake of changing game...

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-03-13, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Coreldan
Colonel

I suppose the devs are pro-hitmarkers, seeing that they made it into the game

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-13, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
I suppose the devs are pro-hitmarkers, seeing that they made it into the game
No I mean, why they think it's legit, that's what I meant. Because my reasoning for not liking DDMs is the one you mentioned earlier about grenades, and also about people only shooting to kill, something that boosts pacing to a very high level. It's my general thoughts, not PS related.

Old 2012-03-13, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
CutterJohn
Colonel

I like them, because games have not yet reached the level of fidelity where you can actually tell if you hit something very easily, so the indication of it is nice.
Old 2012-03-13, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ragefighter
Contributor
Sergeant

I don't see why it couldn't be an option.
Old 2012-03-13, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Ragefighter View Post
I don't see why it couldn't be an option.
A personal option for each player I assume you mean, but that isn't the issue, I believe it's that people consider hitmarkers to be an assistance from the game that confirms you are hitting your target, whereas a skilled player could do that without the game's help. Or in theory at least.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion