Kill Cams? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because we care.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like to see Kill Cams in PS2?
Yes Kill Cams, please. 5 4.95%
No Kill Cams, thank you. 96 95.05%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-08-03, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Kill Cams?

Originally Posted by Highwind View Post
Though not a true "kill cam" in the sense of the word, I think there is a place for a floating cam around the player when they die, like in PS1. I would give them a larger view of the battle and surrounding allies (like adv medics attempting to rez). It could initially point in the direction of the killing blow before floating around the player, you have to think we will be locked in first person and it would be cool to have this "zoom out" with the camera as you die and leave your body.

Those are my thoughts anyway. Clearly we don't need to highlight the killing player, but there is a place for post-death unique camera angles I think.
I know people have already stated being stealthy as a reason to not have this. However, when I think of spectating or kill cams I think back to my days of playing the game America's Army. When you died you could spectate your allies to the point where you could see around corners. My friends and I used to exploit this to no end since we all used TS to play. You'd have a player crouched behind a car and you'd be like "guy coming up on the left!" and bam they'd kill them. Kill cams allow this same tactic.

Honestly my ideal case is you die and you can't see any enemies. So even if you're floating over you dead body you can't go and tell a friendly on TS "someone in the corridor!" I remember "exploiting" this kind of stuff with an outfit. "Come rez me. There's a jackhammer user hiding next to me. I'll tell you if he moves".

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-08-03 at 11:44 PM.
Old 2011-08-04, 01:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Not appropriate to the game. Kill cams, to my understanding, were created to make it difficult to "camp" in more standard shooters. In Planetside, concealing your position and attacking undetected is simply good tactics.
Old 2011-08-05, 03:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

No

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2011-08-05, 03:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Honestly my ideal case is you die and you can't see any enemies. So even if you're floating over you dead body you can't go and tell a friendly on TS "someone in the corridor!"
I'm a pretty big fan of the "slow spiral, fade into death" cam. Doubly so because dev can make the transition from a peaceful fadeout back to life on a revive extremely jarring if done right.

*slap slap* Welcome back to the fight, soldier. You're not quite dead yet!
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2011-08-05, 05:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Erendil
First Lieutenant

I share the sentiment of many who have already posted, but it's worth reiterating: I vote a big "hells no!" to kill cams.

In no way, shape, or form should you receive any confirmation from the game itself where the kill shot came from after you're dead. In PS1 (and presumably PS2) you already have bullet tracers, the red-circle hit indicator, and sound location to determine where the kill-shot came from as it occurs. If that's not enough, than too bad, you got spanked! You'll just have to come back and search the area for your killer after you respawn.

I think PS1's death cam is done quite well. It gives you a slow 360-view of your immediate surroundings without giving you any hints about where the shot that killed you came from. So if you're perceptive you might be able to figure out where it came from, but the game just doesn't hand you the information on a silver platter.

Plus, it allows you to continue to watch and wait after you died, which gives you a chance to tell whether or not there's a friendly medic around that might revive you. This will be even more apparent in PS2 since presumably the medic class will have a distinctive appearance and be more easily spotted.
Old 2011-08-05, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

No.

It's fine for arena-type games but not in Planetside - doesn't suit the game.

The overhead, close in, death-cam from PS1 waiting for a rez is OK however.
Old 2011-08-06, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

90% of the time it will show you one guy in a swarm of guys shooting at you got the kill, and the other 10% it will give away a legitamite sharpshooter or infil who is now dead meat because you can just say "hes overe there by that tree"
Old 2011-08-06, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
NCLynx
Major

If the spawn system is anything like it is in PS1 I don't want to waste MORE time getting into the fight watching myself get killed in a replay.

Your number of deaths has increased your spawn time by 5 seconds. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Old 2011-08-06, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
MyWounds
Private

No.
Old 2011-08-07, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
QuakCow
Sergeant Major

Misc Info

I was about to post exactly what rob did until I saw his post. Basically I'd just like that, the camera to show the exact second of your death looking in the direction of the killer for a couple seconds and then fade into the spiral around your corpse. I don't even mind not seeing the tracer or the enemy. All I ever get mad about is not knowing which direction I died from.

NO MORE ELVES!
ROAST THE BEEF!!
Old 2011-08-07, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Kouza
Sergeant

NO, COD has it, and it works because, when you are dead you cant talk until you re-spawn (?) I think.

In planet side if I die, and get a kill cam, his exact location, health, and what ever information is on it is moving down the chain... Including any other things I may have seen in the cam. As it happens.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion