PlanetSide vs Battlefield - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: So popular it's on Facebook!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2007-08-17, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Mikon
Private

PlanetSide vs Battlefield

Hi to all.
I decided to try play in PlanetSide, but my friends told me, that Battlefield:2142 is better. Can you explain me the difference between this games?
Old 2007-08-17, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
NEWSKIS
Corporal

Re: PlanetSide vs Battlefield

First off, I have played both and also liked both.

There are several big differences. The first one is that PlanetSide is a constantly ongoing game. Where as BF2142 is round based. PlanetSide also has many more vehicles and weapons. BF2142 only can have 64 players on the map, where as in PlanetSide, one continent can hold 399 people. The fighting grounds in PlanetSide are massive compared to BF2142. The other thing is that BF2142 is a lot more realistic. In PlanetSide, in order to keep lag down due to so many people, each person has only one hitbox (no headshots). The same goes for vehicles, you cant kill someone out of an open vehicle. In PlanetSide you also can put together any combination of gear ( limited by the certification system). You have a max number of certification points, and weapons/vehicles/support gear, each cost so many certification points. So you can put together any combination, but you do have to specialize. Another big difference is that vehicles in PlanetSide dont spawn and you have to race to them, you get your own from a vehicle terminal so no TK'ing over vehicles. The last thing is squads. PlanetSide has an ingame voice system, but its so ancient that no one can get it to work. So most outfits have a TS/Vent server. And sadly outfit squads will be using, but not random pickup squads. Lastly the number in the squad. Each squad consists of up to 10 people. And squads can form a platoon of 3 squads (30 people). You can see where everyone is on the map. Other than that, a lot of stuff is very similar.
Old 2007-08-18, 02:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Mikon
Private

Hmm..Battlefield is more realistic, but Planetside is more large-scale.
Anyway, thanks a lot
Old 2007-08-23, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ultramarine
Private

You forgot CSHD,

In battlefield there is lag which effects how accurate your shots are, so you shot him there but he is really here sort of thing, so you miss alot of your shots.

Planetside to cut down on lag uses Client Side Hit Detection, meaning you shoot them on your screen, you hit them on your screen. It has its advantages, but it also has its disadvantages, but nothing to serious.
Old 2007-08-25, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Benfidel
Private

ya i agree i played battlefield for 3 months and lost intrest....the game keeps going and going and get old
Old 2007-08-26, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
acid
Private

btfld is great game, but not so massive as PlanetSide. Whose battles are really huge.
So if you want realistic gameplay and remove enemies with well-placed headshots choose btfd else play PlanetSide
Old 2007-08-27, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
rekhan
Private

Battlefield, well, its just a battle

PSOL, much more like a war
Old 2007-09-01, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
vegetable885
Private

BF in a nutshell:
you get tked every time you get within 50 miles of a plane/helicopter,you get c4ed when you get in any driver seat,you get claymored after you reach the top of a ladder,and,one of my favorite things "look mommy! my 18" battleship shells bounce off this tree!" and,lets not forget,if you accidently tk 3 people in a row,and they have no clue what theyre doing (which they usualy dont) they punish you,which leads to banning you from the server.(still ranting here!) the millasecond you take the commander position,someone starts a mutiny vote,and you loose your commander position. AND THEN! you have the idiots who cant fly,but load up a heli full of people and crash anyway. last but not least,you have the 10 year olds with (incredibly) annoying voices. <---- i think ive made it clear why you should hate bf
Old 2007-09-09, 07:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Reeks88
Private

I've played both and think that planetside is better because of the fact that it is so large scale and constantly playing.

There should be more games like planetside (mmofps).
Old 2007-09-09, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dasc1ple
Private

yah that bf 2142 looks awesome i haven't played it tho, but i like the bigger scale games lik ps myself.
Old 2007-09-09, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Both games, Battlefield and PlanetSide, are good games. It is hard to compare them because they are very different games. Battlefield is much more fast paced due in large part to vehicles being more easily destructible by infantry and the ability to instantly resurrect killed players.

PlanetSide on the other hand is a much slower game. Dieing almost surely means that you will have to re-spawn because advanced medics are few and it is much harder to resurrect someone. Also, fights in PlanetSide could last for several hours at the same base, while fights in Battlefield move around a lot more.
Old 2007-12-05, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
killdog
Private

To some point fights in battlefield can last a long time, it depends on the maps. Some are killfests while others are slower.
Old 2007-12-06, 05:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Evilmp
Master Sergeant

Battlefield 2142 - incredible FPS. First off, vegetable885, you're thinking of BF2 My BF2142 experience is great. However, so is Planetside. I think I'll just sum it all up here:

I played Planetside for 4 1/2 years. I played Battlefield for 8 months. Buy both, and see for yourself Because honestly, you'll get tired of both, and want to switch - buying both solves that problem

Course I moved to Garry's Mod 10's Zombie Mod..and about to move to Call of Duty 4!

If you really want some information..and I know it's been what, 4 months?

Battlefield has better physics, more fun vehicles/weapons (due to instakills available (not counting damn Vanguards..)) and incredibly better graphics.

Planetside has WAY more people to a fight (possibly), much longer fights (I've been in many a fight that lasted 24+ hours, went to sleep, woke up to find myself in the same fight in a different location), vehicle whenever you want it, totally customizable weapon loadouts, and the ability to create / take part in massive raids. You can also go invisible and piss off every non-DL user within a 100-mile radius.

Last minute note: I've gotten nearly 400 FPS in an outdoor firefight, 700+ staring at the ground in the sanctuary, with all graphics settings on high, without any overclocking - which is great because I'm a twitchy player. I get around 90 in Battlefield. My ping in Planetside is usually 80, however in Battlefield I push 150-200 (DSL). Your choice.
Old 2007-12-08, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Phaden
Contributor
Major

Also another main fact is that damage is alot quicker in BF series, you take a cpl hits and dead. Whereas in PS you can take alot more damage, repair your health and armour, change your loadout without dieing.

Imho BF is good for quick plays, and maybe one or two other people that you know. The respawn is something like 10 seconds?

PS is great with a squad or so that can field vehicle columns or stick together on the maps. The respawn for a typical player is about 20-30 depending on how often you die.
Old 2007-12-08, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Eclipse_ita
Private

the main difference is that PlanetSide is one the first (and the only one atm) true mmofps, it isn't room or server based and you'll find an huge number of people fighting no-stop for real.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion