Why I quit PS1 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Reject me
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-07, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Re: Why I quit PS1

Originally Posted by Runlikethewind View Post
I don't know. You talk about tactics and counter tactics then you give up and quit when someone else comes up with a counter to your counter.
Pushing a button is not a valid tactic, it's an I-win button.

The OS is a game of chess where every piece is a queen.

The OS is a game of stratego where every piece is a 1.

The OS is a game of battleship where every peg has a ship in it.

The OS is a game of Monopoly where every place is Boardwalk.

Get how lame it is? The OS negates every single tactic until the only valid tactic you have left is the OS. I hear that's how PS1 plays these days.
Old 2012-07-07, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
PrISM
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
Get how lame it is? The OS negates every single tactic until the only valid tactic you have left is the OS. I hear that's how PS1 plays these days.
Keep in mind how old the game is and the sheer number of CR5s that there are now. The EMP itself is not a bad game mechanic. It's the simple fact that there are so many of them.
Old 2012-07-07, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

The not-so-fun gameplay that Buggsy describes happens when almost half the playerbase has CR5. Which is pretty much what the game is like right now.

OSes happen *all the friggin time*. One after another. It's not particularly fun, but it's what happens with a game that has been around for 9 years.

But the EMP explosion from the bang bus - that's the vehicle's special ability. That's intended functionality.
Old 2012-07-07, 11:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
LOLLLLLLLLLLLL

Nothing as beeen (( dumb down )) in planetside 2 they have remoove some few vehicules to replace it by others who as the same roles it reduce the developpement cost and serve the same purpose ...

Also planetside 2 will be more action and front lines assault oriented Instead of having a (( hang around )) and Chill around gameplay some times

Planetside 2 isnt a pic nic like it was sometimes in Ps1

their will be more action more contestation over territory and Much more thing to do

Also down the road they will ad features vehicules etc.. depending on How much suport they have from the vast PC community !

All your post isnt about tactics since youll have a way more tactics and thing available to you in planetside 2

You talk about squad respawn ? This isnt tactical ? If i say i use Squad leader (( infiltrator )) who sneak up into a based and make their 9 squad member droping with pod on him this isnt a viable tactics ?

Sorry but all this dont make sens

Oh god... I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh. English is my first language and I can't speak any others and blah blah blah

That just really hit my funnybone. I'm not trying to be a dick or insult anyone.

Anyway, to the OP, I pretty much agree with everything you said. That and the fact that there are that many engy/medics out there that unless you kill immediately, you may as well not bother. There's another thread about the OS being bad. Seems like the people who have OS capabilities like the idea of them and everyone who is only on the receiving end of them hates them. Big surprise.
Old 2012-07-07, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Dubious
Sergeant

OS should have a much longer cooldown
current 3 hours is a joke, since there is like 190 CR5s online.. (more or less)

EMP should also have a longer cooldown, atleast an hour

but i guess its kinda to late for that now, just hope there wont be anything similar in PS2, even tho ive read there will be an OS..
Old 2012-07-08, 12:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Graywolves
General

I disagree. OS makes things more complicated.

You want your AMS to not be located ( or at least have an extra) in case it is found and OS'd. When loading a galaxy or forming up in general you want to be quick and not sit in an area too long or else you get OS'd. It's something you have to think about and expect.

There is a problem in how abundant Orbital Strikes seem to be.
Old 2012-07-08, 01:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
igster
Sergeant

Although I agree that CE is pretty weak in this game... I think that it is intentional and to some extent I think that it isn't far off the right balance. Locking down entire squads with a few deployable defences for 5 minutes even basically slows the game down massively and in general it would lead to stalemates in the game much more than now.
It is about evolving your gameplay to counter the counters. CE is still about the most fun to play in the game - I've been advanced engineer for ages and it adds a nice dimension. Come up against a good player with good CE skills and it is pretty harsh.
Yes an EMP does take out all your carefully laid out traps. But imagine if there was simply no way to clear all of these traps other than to take your troops with thumpers and emp grenades. Every base would take 20 minutes to simply clear CE and taking court yards would be next to impossible.
In the situation you describe (1) the EMP going off and (2) a simple /broadcast would bring reinforcements to the back door to stop the breach. You've slowed them down and forced them to use a big 'Haaaaaai' EMP that every in the base can hear has alerted the defenders to where the attack is coming from.
There are lots more situations where strong CE is awesome defensively. Not only for possibly getting kills, but also to alert defending troops about the movements of the enemy.

You should have stuck with it. There is much more fun to be had with CE, finding new ways to trick, trap, delay and annoy the enemy. Think about use of boomers to counter EMPs. If a troop lands at a back door and emp's... any boomer they are standing on gets set off and hopefully they have dropped out of a plane right onto your carefully positioned boomer. Bang play your cards right and its the entire galaxy squad in one hit.
Old 2012-07-08, 01:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by PrISM View Post
Keep in mind how old the game is and the sheer number of CR5s that there are now. The EMP itself is not a bad game mechanic. It's the simple fact that there are so many of them.
Originally Posted by QuantumMechanic View Post
The not-so-fun gameplay that Buggsy describes happens when almost half the playerbase has CR5. Which is pretty much what the game is like right now.

OSes happen *all the friggin time*. One after another. It's not particularly fun, but it's what happens with a game that has been around for 9 years.
The long run is something that should be factored in, just because the game is old and everyone had time to reach the top command lvl isn't an excuse for it to happen every second, it's still lame.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-08 at 01:46 AM.
Old 2012-07-08, 02:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Jamini
Corporal

Just going to throw a fun little counter-tactic to EMPs for the OP.

Lay boomers between your mines when defending areas that get hotdrops. The EMP will set them off and kill anyone in the minefield, often taking out the entire squad that dropped (or at least enough of them so that you can clean up with a punisher or ES rifle.)

Perhaps you just haven't thought enough about counter-tactics to command abilities?
Old 2012-07-08, 02:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
SixShooter
Captain

Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
Again if you actually read my post, I am complaining about the ElectroMagneticPulse OS, not the other one. The ElectroMagneticPulse OS has a much shorter cooldown and much larger radius.
OK man, I guess I'll play your game for another round

There seems to be some confusion on what an OS is. An OS is an Orbital Strike that comes from the sky (a satillite in orbit) that is a giant lazer that destroys everthing in its path. A CR5 EMP is not an OS. It is generated from the CUD (Command Uplink Device) and actually has roughly the same radius as a CR5 OS (I know this from 9 yeats of experience since it's hard to pull out a tape measure with these things).

My point is that you're talking about two very different things. An OS is an OS and an EMP is an EMP, both of which are very valid tactics. It seems that your gripe is that there is a counter to your equally valid tactic. This could have been equally accomplished with a few guys throwing jammer nades. Sure it sucks that you spent the time to lay out CE everywhere only to have it EMP'd but seriously, that happens all the time in so many different games.

Your points just don't hold up and I say that with no malice or uglyness. I enjoy these discussions but I just think that you're wrong. Niether one (OS or EMP) can be considered a win button because it is a valid tactic on the field of war, deal with it (also you can just get out of the way of an OS, I've seen so many that hit nobody).

It has been hinted (or confirmed, correct me if I'm wrong) that there will be a type of ES OS for PS2. I have heard nothing about the CR5 abilities and whether or not they will have an EMP as you have described for PS1.

I find it odd that you feel that there will be no coordinated tactictics and you don't have the desire to come up with new tactics with the provided mechanics of the game. In direct response to an earlier post of yous - squad spawn works absolutly nothing like squad spawning on any other game I've played (disclaimer - I have not played every game ever made but have played a fair amount of MW3 and BF3 abd have found the PS2 version to be quite different).

Combining the AMS with the Galaxy adds a whole new dynamic and your argument that there will be no frontline is just wrong. If you can't play the game and discover new tactics and adapt to a new style of gameplay, I actually feel bad for you because you're going to miss out on some good times. Those of us who want that will make that happen with the gameplay mechanics that are provided just as we did with PS1.

It sounds to me like you did not like the fist game and will really not like the second game. From your OP it sounds like you really wanted something to happen (delaying the enemy without killing them???) but an EMP ruined your fun and you rage quit and unsubbed.

I really don't understand the hatred for "modern FPS" games. I grew up on PC games and console games and love them both. I have had a great time the last few years playing on Xbox Live and PSN with games like COD and BF (and many other genres). The last time I checked, games were more about having fun and less about being elitist and having to rant about how overly comlicated game mechanics have been simplified or "dumbed down".

Get over it and move on and come up with new tactics (that's my plan and I'm super excided!!!!) or move on to a game that will fit your needs. I have nothin but love for ya man and I hope you can figure it out.

Old 2012-07-08, 03:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Porkington
Private

Amen to that.
Old 2012-07-08, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Jamini View Post

Lay boomers between your mines when defending areas that get hotdrops. The EMP will set them off and kill anyone in the minefield, often taking out the entire squad that dropped (or at least enough of them so that you can clean up with a punisher or ES rifle.)

Perhaps you just haven't thought enough about counter-tactics to command abilities?
A) When the I-win button pusher hit the EMP OS he wasn't standing in the middle of a minefield so it wouldn't have mattered.

B) There is no counter to the OS.

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
The long run is something that should be factored in, just because the game is old and everyone had time to reach the top command lvl isn't an excuse for it to happen every second, it's still lame.
It's shortsighted of the devs not to see it, I read a post like from 2002 before PS1 came out, someone said the same thing.

Originally Posted by igster View Post
Although I agree that CE is pretty weak in this game... I think that it is intentional and to some extent I think that it isn't far off the right balance. Locking down entire squads with a few deployable defences for 5 minutes even basically slows the game down massively and in general it would lead to stalemates in the game much more than now.
"Slows the game down"? You think everyone is entitled to victory simply by showing up?

It is about evolving your gameplay to counter the counters.
There is no counter to the OS. They could have flanked me instead of using their I-Win button.

CE is still about the most fun to play in the game - I've been advanced engineer for ages and it adds a nice dimension. Come up against a good player with good CE skills and it is pretty harsh.
Yes an EMP does take out all your carefully laid out traps.
They could have used EMP grenades instead of hitting their I-Win button.

But imagine if there was simply no way to clear all of these traps other than to take your troops with thumpers and emp grenades. Every base would take 20 minutes to simply clear CE and taking court yards would be next to impossible.
Game was like this when it first came out and it was as fun as hell to clear out enemy mines. Just like I described in first post.

In the situation you describe (1) the EMP going off and (2) a simple /broadcast would bring reinforcements to the back door to stop the breach. You've slowed them down and forced them to use a big 'Haaaaaai' EMP that every in the base can hear has alerted the defenders to where the attack is coming from.
You know how herding cats is. I had to bottle them up for at least 3 minutes before another player even would hear or show up.

There are lots more situations where strong CE is awesome defensively. Not only for possibly getting kills, but also to alert defending troops about the movements of the enemy.
Not with the EMP OS.

You should have stuck with it. There is much more fun to be had with CE, finding new ways to trick, trap, delay and annoy the enemy.
Not with the EMP OS

Think about use of boomers to counter EMPs. If a troop lands at a back door and emp's... any boomer they are standing on gets set off and hopefully they have dropped out of a plane right onto your carefully positioned boomer. Bang play your cards right and its the entire galaxy squad in one hit.
Why would someone stand on a boomer? They're not hard to see. Anyways my goal was to DELAY them, not kill them. I kill them and they just spawn somewhere else and give someone else on my team a hard time. I DELAY them and I've become a bigger force multiplier for my side. Yeah I know, playing for my faction instead of for experience points is so radical and weird. I'm such an old school roleplayer.

Last edited by Buggsy; 2012-07-08 at 09:03 AM.
Old 2012-07-08, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Jamini View Post

Get an ams, deploy it outside the BD, damage it a bit...

Deploy mines and boomers .... and maybe an emp mine, the ams blows up and kills everyone witin the bubble ..... it works!

And yea, the op is disappointing
Old 2012-07-08, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I disagree. OS makes things more complicated.
OS simplifies the game, doesn't make anything more complicated.

You want your AMS to not be located ( or at least have an extra) in case it is found and OS'd. When loading a galaxy or forming up in general you want to be quick and not sit in an area too long or else you get OS'd. It's something you have to think about and expect.
Toss concentration of force tactic out the window.

There is a problem in how abundant Orbital Strikes seem to be.
If something is crap you don't balance it by reducing the number of crap droppings, you clean it up and remove crap.

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post

Oh god... I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh. English is my first language and I can't speak any others and blah blah blah

That just really hit my funnybone. I'm not trying to be a dick or insult anyone.

Anyway, to the OP, I pretty much agree with everything you said. That and the fact that there are that many engy/medics out there that unless you kill immediately, you may as well not bother. There's another thread about the OS being bad. Seems like the people who have OS capabilities like the idea of them and everyone who is only on the receiving end of them hates them. Big surprise.
I was rarely killed by an OS, that's not my beef with them, my beef with the OS is that they reduce tactics to only one tactic: FRONTAL ASSAULT.

Doing Frontal Assault gets old after a while; like 1 hour.

Originally Posted by QuantumMechanic View Post

But the EMP explosion from the bang bus - that's the vehicle's special ability. That's intended functionality.
I'm glad I didn't stick around to see the "bang bus", glad I unsubbed before that.

*rolls eyes*

Why do players feel entitled to victory simply by logging on?

Originally Posted by PrISM View Post
The EMP OS is the worse offender out of the 2 types of OS.
Old 2012-07-08, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
igster
Sergeant

Unfortunately, the flow of the game is pretty different compared to the situation you described. People don't drop at a back door, and look for trees to cover them while a hacker hacks the door open.

Most of the time, they drop from light aircraft, phantasms or galaxies as close as possible to the backdoor. In the time between the door and you departing your aircraft is the 'golden time' for the attackers to get mown down by aircraft, tanks and any defenders on the wall.

Therefore the standard practise is to drop at the back door emping as they land directly at the back door. Therefore they don't actually 'know they are landind' on a boomer. They think they are dropping into a minefield which will be cleared by the emp as they get close to the ground.

They are inside the base rather than having to fight your way in. If you tried to fight your way into a back door in enemy territory they will get creamed. Just takes 1 mosquito pilot to bail their vehicle on top of them and they are all dead.

Really, there are lots of tactics. Just so happens that the ones you described although in real life would be common sense... in this game just doesnt quite work. Simple - just alter your tactics and find one that does.

It is an EMP and not an OS EMP. The OS comes from orbit - hence it is an orbital strike. An EMP is an electromagnetic pulse emanating from your cud. (Command Uplink Device)

All I was stating was that there is a support meta game in Planetside. Doesn't always work since there are counters to everything. Quite often the attackers bring along those counters and sometimes they don't.

You can counter the counters.

You just didnt give the game the time to adapt.

There is no I win button. There are always counters. Very simple really. If there weren't counters, then it would be a sucky game.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion