Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-04-07, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Cyanide
I thought AMD was changing to socket 939 shortly too. If I were you, I'd wait until motherboards with PCI Express cards start shipping, because if you get a PC now, you're going to need a new motherboard in 10 - 18 months when you will be looking for a new videocard again. This time of year is not the best time to be buying a high end system. Lots of companies role out new stuff in the early summer to early fall. I would definately wait a while if I were you.

If you absolutely can't wait for the new stuff to come out. I would recommend an Athlon64 over a P4 anything. MS's new OS will be 64 bit, and a lot of major game developers are developing their next generation engines for 64 bit processors. When that happens, your 64 bit AMD will smoke a P4 extreme edition.

In addition to Falcon NW you might want to check out Polywell.com too. They aren't as popular as Falcon but they're definately just as good.
yep your right AMD is goin to socket 939, and bringing dualchannel unbuffered/registered memory to all A64 lines so if may be worth while.

Ame goes for PCI express coming

Realy 64bit is a non issue becuse WinXP64 may not be out till early next year and by then Intel will be shiping its 64bit enabled CPU's (presscot core acctualy have it on chip just dissabled BTW, and it the same instructions as a64) longhorn is not a 64 bit system either it will be both. and that not out till late 2k5 to 2k6. The only system that support A64bit instruktions are linux, but i haven't heard anything about 64bit edditoons of games for linux

EDIT: Forgot to say Ait Was wrong all athlons are moving over to the new platform, except the FX51 and maybee the 2800+, even non-64bit athlons will be on it thogh some will also have other socket support(fx-53, and the regular 64's for a while)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2004-04-07 at 10:16 PM.
Old 2004-04-07, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Ait'al
Contributor
General

That thing you found RBSTR, that dev thing from ATI, said longhorn isnt coming out till 2006.

Originally Posted by RBSTR
EDIT: Forgot to say Ait Was wrong all athlons are moving over to the new platform, except the FX51 and maybee the 2800+, even non-64bit athlons will be on it thogh some will also have other socket support(fx-53, and the regular 64's for a while)
Isnt that about what i said. lol

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-04-07 at 10:31 PM.
Old 2004-04-07, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Cyanide
Major

Realy 64bit is a non issue becuse WinXP64 may not be out till early next year and by then Intel will be shiping its 64bit enabled CPU's (presscot core acctualy have it on chip just dissabled BTW, and it the same instructions as a64) longhorn is not a 64 bit system either it will be both. and that not out till late 2k5 to 2k6. The only system that support A64bit instruktions are linux, but i haven't heard anything about 64bit edditoons of games for linu
Nobody is going to buy WinXP64. Any 64 bit chip out there has no problem handling 32 bit windows XP. Besides, who knows how long he'll have that chip. Lots of people don't upgrade their processor more than once every 3 - 4 years. Anyway, I know Long horn isn't exclusively 64bit, but it is 64bit, it just also has 32bit support as well.

It still stands that the performance difference between an Athlon64 and a P4 EE is barely noticable for the most part and definately isn't worth paying more for what is in actuality a more primative technology.
Old 2004-04-08, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Disconnections
Private

Remember that all I have is a mac that can play pong and mybe tetris with major lag and slide show effects. I really want to play ps as soon as I can I used to play all the time at a friends house back in beta. Are you sure its worth waiting awhile or buy now?
Old 2004-04-08, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I would wait one month before ordeing and get an Athon 64 3700+ or something(non fx) that uses dual channel memory on an Nforce 3 25-gb board. SAve money and wup the P4c/e's ass (EEs are jsut a bad buy imo)

and no ait you assaid they were gona keep making Athlons for teh socket they have no and i said no thay aren't the last new chips for those are the 2800+ and FX-53 after taht ALL athlons including non 64bit ones will be on socket 939

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-04-09, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

"Nobody is going to buy WinXP64..."
-Aital

"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."
-Ken Olsen (1926 - ), President, Digital Equipment, 1977
edit- Aital, home desktop 64-bit processors (which are being made by AMD and are in development by Intel) run significantly faster on a 64-bit platform. Win XP 64 is currently in a public beta phase, and at this point runs only slightly worse than regular Win XP because the drivers that have been made for it aren't very efficient yet. As more people buy 64-bit processors, more people will want to gain the speed advantage of running on a 64-bit platform. As more people run 64-bit platforms, 64-bit games will begin to be developed. As 64-bit games come out, even more people will migrate to the Win XP 64 OS. But thats just MY opinion...

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2004-04-09 at 08:45 PM.
Old 2004-04-09, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

edit then at teh top ther is a dellet button but i will do it for you this time

Old 2004-04-09, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

::looks all over:: uh... no delete button to be found here...

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2004-04-10, 12:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Cyanide
Major

I said nobody is going to buy XP64. If you're going to counter what somebody said, at least counter the right person.

First of all, do you have any idea how small the market share for home 64bit computing is? It's next to nothing. By 2006 it will probably have a decent market share after Intel has been marketing them for a year or so. Even then, it won't be more than 1/3 of home computers that have a 64bit CPU. By the time 64bit has a decent market share Longhorn will be just around the corner. You'd have to be stupid to buy XP64 and then spend another $150-$300 on Longhorn relatively soon after.
Old 2004-04-10, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I agree Cyanide

Electro hit edit and the edit page will load there is a box that says delete this message with a bubble thing and a button.

Also i'm buying th emeory tomarrow and i'l have it on monday so we can work out the deal sometime next week

Old 2004-04-10, 12:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Rbstr
i think dell deos but I woudl never recomend a dell
See, your lucky you have the chance to get an alienware, whtas wron with them? Atleast you got to design it, here I am stuck with a celeron 2.0ghz, 256mb ram, integrated video!like come on! it makes me cry that i cant play bf1942/V UT04', i can barley play planetside...
Old 2004-04-10, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I would never buy a computer from a manufacturer, unless i needed to get my sister on of those $300 pieces a shit so she can do AIM all night long.

The reason i don't liek dell is one, thier marketing strategy, and two thier prices, (as a semi-three point they buy the lowest quality OEM parts to put in even thier best machines)

If you will look at thist thread you will see waht a meen, an ultimat gaming computer with an FX5200, that performs worse in games than the ATi integrated Video chipsets they just realeased,
and it cost 3k ish as you can see with wildegals thread we made him a kickass machine for 1k, no monitor, but monitors don't cost 2k and bring down your performance

Old 2004-04-10, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

I agree dell sux!$2000cdn, 1 year ago, that how much this piec of shit costs!
(my new thing is comparisons)
Dell XPS-3.4ghz,2gb ram(low clocked) 60gb hard drive, 256 radieon se-$4000cdnthats it, thats all
my own custom sys-Athlon 64,3gb ram, GeforceFx5900 256, 180 gb hard drive-$3000cdn w/monitor,key board, mouse, ethernet,modem
Which one will i buy?

we all know! the custom design! dell isnt worth shi*
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum