BFRs - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Everything you read here is a lie.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-07-20, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #151
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by JetRaiden
Im a little concerned that the article mentioned it would take several flail shots to even scratch the shield which is a little insane if you ask me. Id like to see what the devs come up with on this one, especcially how you aquire these tthings, and how you keep them from becoming so abundant.
It also says that one sniper shot can take down the shields. That's the whole reasoning behind it. This thing is an anti-vehicular platform, not an anti-infantry one.
Old 2004-07-20, 12:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #152
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ChewyLSB
It also says that one sniper shot can take down the shields. That's the whole reasoning behind it. This thing is an anti-vehicular platform, not an anti-infantry one.
It's gonna be more than 1.

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-07-20, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #153
Meursault00
Staff Sergeant

Well, at the moment we have no information concerning how much damage the shield generator will be able to take.

According to the article though it says a well aimed sniper shot will be able to take down the shield.
Old 2004-07-20, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #154
I Hate Pants
General

Originally Posted by Meursault00
Well, at the moment we have no information concerning how much damage the shield generator will be able to take.

According to the article though it says a well aimed sniper shot will be able to take down the shield.
hopefully it will encourage more players to equip MA weapons.

I hate how the article says a well placed sniper shot can bring the shield down. The last thing we need are more snipers in the game.

Last edited by I Hate Pants; 2004-07-20 at 12:21 AM.
Old 2004-07-20, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #155
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

Let's not forget that PS can't have too much location damage, so when it says "well-aimed" it means "anywhere on the generator".
Old 2004-07-20, 12:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #156
Meursault00
Staff Sergeant

I didn't even know locational damage existed in PS!

But yea, they probably do mean just hitting anywhere on the generator.

More snipers = more counter sniping = pwnage for me

Generally, the MA rifles and the Sniper cert will be the most effective means to bring the generator down. But that's just my assumption.

Actually, with enough support, a BFR can become an AntiInfantry platform regardless of the weakness of its shielding because remember that after the shield goes down, there is still the armor that troops have to deal with.

It's not uncommong to see Prowlers, Mags, and Vans used in anti infantry roles. Roll in, wreck some havoc in the enemy zerg, roll out, patch up, roll back in, wash rince repeat.

Last edited by Meursault00; 2004-07-20 at 12:37 AM.
Old 2004-07-20, 05:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #157
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Actually, with enough support, a BFR can become an AntiInfantry platform regardless of the weakness of its shielding because remember that after the shield goes down, there is still the armor that troops have to deal with.
Would depend on the infantry damage of the weapons.
Old 2004-07-20, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #158
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I think it's a given that BFRs will fall to even a squad of infantry properly equipped. They're very large and probably not very fast. They won't be able to use cover like tanks can (one of the reasons a mech vehicle is so impractical in the first place) so it'll be pretty difficult for them to evade AV weapons apart from the Decimator. Also, assuming they don't go to fast, that raises the question of whether they can crush infantry in a manner akin to vehicles running infantry down.

Just to contribute to the main topic though, I am very pleased with the addition of BFRs to Planetside. It always has been a sort of futuristic but not futuristic game, so it's nice to see more sci-fi stuff like BFRs getting added. I also hope they eat tanks for lunch, and aren't really something for infantry to worry about. As I've advocated in previous threads, there needs to be a vehicle designed to kill tanks and yet not extremely effective against infantry. Right now, tanks are so ubiquitous because they blow away absolutely anything on the ground. Once tanks are no longer to unrivaled kings of the vehicle foodchain, perhaps we can finally start to see the other vehicles come into their own, rather than being the "if I can't get a tank" or "if I want to travel somewhere fast" vehicles.
Old 2004-07-20, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #159
Indecisive
Major General

Hopefully the spot that disables the sheilds will be *really* small.
Old 2004-07-20, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #160
kcirreda
Corporal

I wouldnt consider BFRs infrantry fodder just yet. The guns on the thing will probobly be insta-gib so infrantry need 2 sneak around 2 its back or they just gonna get mowed down. If the driver or guner has audio AMP, a soldier cant get around 2 the back easily. There is 2 effective ways 2 take it down, a cloaker with sensor shield, or a all out zerg and due 2 limited targeting on it atleast 1 will get by and take it down. Then they gotta deal with armor. So during that time the BFR got 10+ kills against that zerg and 1 with the cloaker.

This brings to mind how they will get the shield back up. Lets gossip about thast, shall we?
Old 2004-07-20, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #161
Meursault00
Staff Sergeant

Maybe it's something that you charge up, yeknow like the vehicle shields.

Autorepair over time?

Maybe you have to actually get someone to repair the mech?

It utilizes the great power of Zeus to recharge its shields.

Actually, it wouldn't be too difficult to take the shields down. A sniper on a ridge can do the job quite nicely.
Old 2004-07-20, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #162
Phaden
Contributor
Major

Maybe require amp station or massive NTU drain?

I think it would be cool to bring ANT's back into the forefront. Make them much more needed, and make some new things cost NTU's.
Old 2004-07-20, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #163
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Warborn
Once tanks are no longer to unrivaled kings of the vehicle foodchain, perhaps we can finally start to see the other vehicles come into their own, rather than being the "if I can't get a tank" or "if I want to travel somewhere fast" vehicles.
I agree with you. Even though I have a tank in my sig, I'd love for assault buggies, the light tanks, even ATVs to come back in some form.
Old 2004-07-20, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #164
Doppler
Contributor
Major

How does having a bigger meaner vehicle out there then even tanks increase the survivability of other vehicles? If anything this will have the oppoiste effect.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2004-07-20, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #165
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

I agree with Doppler.

Although if buggies could pack more punch against these gits than a tank shell that would be cool
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion