Man put away for 15 years - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The only place you have friends.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-03, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

Man put away for 15 years

Link to News Story

So this girl lied to the cops about her father raping her. He gets put away for 15 years...and serves 10 before she admits to the police that she lied.

He gets out and all charges against him are dismissed.

The DA will not persecute her out of fear of...and I quote:

But she (the DA) said that charging Kennedy might discourage victims from coming forward.

She added that it was not an indictment of the system, but simply a case of a person withdrawing their story.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1r0vbx3nl
What do you think? Should she be charged with a crime for lying about this for so long and costing a man 10 years in prison for a crime he never committed?

Also, how logical do you think it is for the DA to say that this would discourage victims from coming forward?

Seems to me that this would discourage liars for bringing false charges forward.

Last edited by WildGunsTomcat; 2012-04-03 at 04:13 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-03, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Man put away for 15 years

Meh.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-09-11 at 03:51 AM.
Old 2012-04-03, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

How was the guy locked up based on the victim's testimony alone? That doesn't seem right. There needs to be some other evidence than just the victim's word.

But yeah, she should absolutely be charged.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-03, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Meh.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-09-11 at 03:50 AM.
Old 2012-04-03, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

That woman should have been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Knowingly having someone sent to prison for years and years out of nothing more than spite and anger is pretty unthinkable. She's apparently a drug addict and all kinds of fucked up herself at this point, no surprise there, but to let this go unpunished for fear of women being made fearful of reporting rapes is lunacy.
Old 2012-04-03, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Am I the only one that immediately thought of that South Park episode where every kid in town did this? Hell, it's probably where she got the idea...

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
Old 2012-04-03, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
That woman should have been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Knowingly having someone sent to prison for years and years out of nothing more than spite and anger is pretty unthinkable. She's apparently a drug addict and all kinds of fucked up herself at this point, no surprise there, but to let this go unpunished for fear of women being made fearful of reporting rapes is lunacy.
Exactly.

I don't understand how a district attorney could come to the conclusion that making this woman pay for stealing 10 years off of a man's life, her father's no less, isn't something that should be criminally persecuted.

To me it will discourage LIARS from fucking LYING about shit like this.
Old 2012-04-05, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sgt Shultz
Corporal

Originally Posted by Quovatis View Post
How was the guy locked up based on the victim's testimony alone? That doesn't seem right. There needs to be some other evidence than just the victim's word.

But yeah, she should absolutely be charged.
From what I recall, the girl had significant scar tissue, which they had wrongly attributed to accusations of rape by her father. As it turns out they have determined the girl was sexually active with multiple partners which her parents did not know about.

As for the accusations, she has deprived another citizen of liberty and that person deserves justice. Too bad they can't disbar prosecutors for false imprisonment.
Old 2012-04-04, 12:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Vecha
First Sergeant

It's fucked up. That's for sure...

The DA is...well not "right"...but she does bring up somewhat of a good point. Kinda. Not really.

Anyways, these type of situations can taint rightful sexual allegations.(Perhaps not in the courts...but at the least socially).

Many defense lawyers will attempt to put dirt on the woman's(and even a man's) name/sexual nature/etc. when in court(dressing a certain way, make it seem it was consensual, etc.)

I do however think they SHOULD prosecute her. There should be consequences for those who LIE and nearly, if not totally, destroy someone's life.
Old 2012-04-04, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vecha View Post
Many defense lawyers will attempt to put dirt on the woman's(and even a man's) name/sexual nature/etc. when in court(dressing a certain way, make it seem it was consensual, etc.)
I'm not even going to go down that road because the amount of vitriolic hatred I would get for my opinion on that would be staggering.

I might actually get banned.

Let's just say that I think more often than not women are aware of what power they hold over men in the courts...and they brandish it often.
Old 2012-04-04, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

You have to wonder though... what would possess her to do that in the first place?

Old 2012-04-04, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
I'm not even going to go down that road because the amount of vitriolic hatred I would get for my opinion on that would be staggering.

I might actually get banned.

Let's just say that I think more often than not women are aware of what power they hold over men in the courts...and they brandish it often.
Oh dear, you're not one of those morons who believe women deserve or ask to get raped by the way they dress? You're right, you would be hated.
Old 2012-04-04, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
Oh dear, you're not one of those morons who believe women deserve or ask to get raped by the way they dress? You're right, you would be hated.

Last edited by WildGunsTomcat; 2012-04-04 at 06:47 PM.
Old 2012-04-04, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
Actually on this forum he'd probably get praised. Lot of right-wing conservative types here. With the rash of anti-woman bullshit, forcing doctors to assault women with vaginal probes for the crime of wanting an abortion, Rush Limbaugh calling Sandra Fluke a slut and all that other shit he said, and so on, the culture of woman-hating and slut-shaming is alive and well in many parts of this world, and I do not doubt that he would see people here supporting him if he were to say something like "women who dress a certain way deserve to be raped", which is roughly what Rush has said in the past as well.
Old 2012-04-04, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Actually on this forum he'd probably get praised. Lot of right-wing conservative types here.
Oh, what forum is that?

[/quote]With the rash of anti-woman bullshit,[/quote]

I love women!

forcing doctors to assault women with vaginal probes for the crime of wanting an abortion,
Nobody here wants that... well nobody outside of a fetish anyway.

Rush Limbaugh calling Sandra Fluke a slut and all that other shit he said, and so on,
What else would you call a woman that wants enough contraception for Debbie to Dallas... and Fort Worth?

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum