Outfit uniforms - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We need pirates. Lots of them.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-17, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Re: Outfit uniforms

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
How is the outfit leader booting you for not adhering to the uniform any different than you leaving the outfit because you don't like the uniform requirement?

The enforcement makes things easier on outfit leaders. Either you follow the outfit rules or you don't. If the Outfit leader wants to enforce a uniform that is his prerogative, just like it is your prerogative to go join an outfit that lets you be a unique snowflake.
Part of an outfit's settings may be that their customizations would automatically show on their members. Like, what if each empire had 5 different styles of helmet, shoulder pads and knee guards. The combinations that you could create would distinguish outfit's looks as much as decals help. You join an outfit and you get their style of dress.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-03-17, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
And thus depriving Planetside 2 of income. Why would anyone in an outfit buy cash-shop cosmetics they never got to use?

And if they stay out of an outfit in order to use their own cash shop cosmetics, it means people will end up playing solo and we want teamwork.

Of course, if individual 'hard-core' outfits want to impose this on their members and everyone consents to it, then fine - but that's a discussion for individual outfits to have on their own forums/teamspeak/whatever and arrange internally. Those who don't want to join such an outfit will find another one more welcoming.
As originally pointed out, only during outfit ops. Outfit ops do not occur 24/7.

Don't give outfit leaders the option to easily switch to it and you create the clusterfuck of people making sure everyone is in uniform, slowing down the time before they leave to enter the battlefield.

Don't give them this option and you can guarantee they're going to enforce it anyway, thus meaning kicking those that don't want to adhere.

Having the easy quick option to switch people to it for outfit ops just means less drama and quicker before entering the battle. If people don't like it, they can leave and join an outfit that doesn't enforce a uniform. The result of an outfit wanting to enforce a uniform will have the same outcome either way, that person leaving the outfit.

Thus, it makes sense to just streamline things in favour of making it all easier as a whole.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-17, 10:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Here is what I'm envisioning and proposing:

-Each individual chooses his or her own uniform customization. This is purchasable in the cash shop. There are several "Uniform Favorites" allowing players to save different combinations of customization. Perhaps "Favorite 1" is the outfit uniform, displaying the logo on the breast and the basic colors, with a stripe across the chest. But then "Favorite 2" is the player's own personal customization - flames on the arm and shin guards, black boots, aviator shades (etc). I don't think some of this will actually go in, just using them as examples.

-Players can choose at any time from a menu screen which "Uniform Favorite" they would like displayed. Perhaps a toggle can be added to "slave circuit" the Uniform Favorite to the Outfit Leader, so the OL can just click a button and change everyone's uniform - but only if they consent to it.

-If the player wants to, they buy their outfit's uniform and save it in a favorite slot. It does have to be optional on a per player basis regardless if the outfit requires it in-house - I mean that the choice to buy and use the uniform has to be each player's decision, because of cash flow to SOE. They aren't going to make a business decision that will limit the income based on customization - a mandatory outfit uniform system means that if you're a member of Outfit X, you've only bought that one set of customization...you won't buy anything else because hey, you already bought your outfit's uniform. So why pay cash for something you're not going to be able to wear?

-They will not simply say to outfit leaders "Pay X station cash to design and distribute your outfit's uniform" because then that limits their income to the number of outfits (relatively small), not to the number of players (relatively huge). Now, what they MAY do is say "Outfit Leaders, pay X station cash to give your outfit the ability for a "Uniform Slot" that all outfit members have access to from the outfit window, but they still have to actually buy the customizations separately.

-These are customizations - this is a principle income earning generator for F2P games. They'll try and charge us any way they can for these vanity items because that's what they are - vanity items. I don't mean that as a derogatory term, I'll be tricking my suit out, I'm just saying they aren't necessary to gameplay so they get to name their price.

Last edited by robocpf1; 2012-03-17 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Clarification
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-17, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Part of an outfit's settings may be that their customizations would automatically show on their members. Like, what if each empire had 5 different styles of helmet, shoulder pads and knee guards. The combinations that you could create would distinguish outfit's looks as much as decals help. You join an outfit and you get their style of dress.
Exactly. An outfit's identity is important. They said early on they want outfits that are badass whatevers to be easily recognized. If they have a uniform and decals that helps achieve that. That's not to say every customization is pre-defined, the outfit could leave some open for individuals to modify, but that should be up to the outfit to decide. If members dont' like it they can take it up with their leaders or ultimately leave if they believe the leadership is being unreasonable and being a faerie princess is important to them.
Old 2012-03-17, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

I like this idea. I'm all for it. Will give outfits the identity they need and deserve.
Old 2012-03-18, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Sardus
Contributor
Captain

I guess it would make sense if outfit members could donate to the outfit only station store account, of which the outfit leader (or designated officers) could purchase cosmetic upgrades for the entire outfit.

Twitter@TRG_gamingclan
Old 2012-03-18, 02:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Zenben
Master Sergeant

I love this idea. I also think it would be awesome to apply to vehicle paint jobs in the same way, so that you know that swarm of reavers that's about to throw a volley of rockets in your face is from that badass fighter squadron.
Old 2012-03-18, 04:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
CutterJohn
Colonel

Just so long as its not unique. It'd suck if there were some outfit specific helmet or armors. If they want to pick a color scheme thats fine.
Old 2012-03-18, 04:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Coreldan
Colonel

I would love a specific colour theme, but I doubt any of this will really happen.

My clan comes from APB where customization wise just about anything is possible and as we are WASP, black and yellow is our theme

But yeah, here's for hoping we could somehow be black and yellow in PS2 as well, but not that it would make or break it for us. For me I'll just baseline think it won't be possible, and if it will be, I'll just be positively surprised instead of hoping for something that is unlikely to happen

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-18, 05:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Tikuto
Major

Lightbulb Outfit Specializations

I'd prefer them to be prefixed based on what specialization your Outfit has chosen.

off-topic:
Also about Specialization. They must be some sort of semi-permanent decision! Having one outfit change specialization all the time could make them unreliable for your whole empire's strategics. If however this does happen, freely being able to change specialization, then the unreliability factor ought to be announced somehow: e.g. 'Deathwatch has specialized in <speciality> for 2y, 3m, 17d'.

Last edited by Tikuto; 2012-03-18 at 07:09 AM.
Old 2012-03-18, 07:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

I was already under the assumption that outfit uniforms was gonna be possible. Especially, when T-Ray was talking about how you can mix and match colors. He showed the color pallet of all the colors you could use.

With that said, I support outfit customization for uniforms 100%. It will definitely help outfits have their own uniqueness which is a good thing.

Old 2012-03-18, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by robocpf1 View Post
-If the player wants to, they buy their outfit's uniform and save it in a favorite slot. It does have to be optional on a per player basis regardless if the outfit requires it in-house - I mean that the choice to buy and use the uniform has to be each player's decision, because of cash flow to SOE. They aren't going to make a business decision that will limit the income based on customization - a mandatory outfit uniform system means that if you're a member of Outfit X, you've only bought that one set of customization...you won't buy anything else because hey, you already bought your outfit's uniform. So why pay cash for something you're not going to be able to wear?
It doesn't have to be optional for each player, because, why join outfit that enforces you to something you don't want?

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-03-18, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
PrISM
Staff Sergeant

Future Crew already has this policy, although the "uniform" is more of a costume that Shock has us wear during slumber parties.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion