Will this suffice not only for running ps2 but also as a general gaming rig
Old 2012-12-16, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: Need advice on build for ps2

Yeah, but just get DDR1600 memory.

You might also want to bump the PSU up 50/100W, especially if you plan to overclock like it seems.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-12-16, 04:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Vancha
Colonel

Can you link the motherboard? MSI has at least 8 Z77 boards off the top of my head. Also, link the RAM. If it costs more than the Samsung Green, you're spending too much.

The PSU is fine. I feel like you're cheaping out on it slightly, but even that one should have zero problem with a single 7870 (people can run two 7870s on 600w).

I'm a little surprised at the CPU cooler, though. Even with a bundle, you're spending $87 on it, which is a decent chunk of your total.
Old 2012-12-16, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Grrr
Private

Lightbulb Re: Need advice on build for ps2

Aight so drop the ram to 1600 should I keep at 8 gb or would it be wise to get another 8 at 1600?
Yeah I'm seriously trying to stay under a 1000& yes the cooler is over the top and a little pricey but I want this to stay cool and last me for a while if you'd recommend a cheaper cooling unit but w great quality in mind and longevity I'd appreciate I'm just also a fan of corsair, but that would be cost efficient to get rid of it for a better PSU.
MOBO: MSI Z77A-G43 ATX LGA1155 for the price and budget I know I'm going cheap.
FYI I haven't built a computer since me and my pops used to build them for gaming for SC AND MEDAL OF HONOR so.....yeah but I've been brushing up on what I've missed over the last decade and what I've learned so far is just amazing how far pc gaming has come and these forums and a lot of YouTube videos have been my guide I just can't wait to get it all down so when my son (4months) gets to the right age I can teach him all of this.
Old 2012-12-16, 07:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Grrr
Private

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/part/patr...y-pvi38g186c9k
Memory
MoBo
http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/part/msi-motherboard-z77ag43
Old 2012-12-16, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I don't see that H100 being worthwhile at all. There are coolers far cheaper that will reach your desired overclock and cooling needs for a third of the cost. Besides that the H100 does NOT fit in all cases. Have you confirmed it will fit in that NZXT case? From what I read you have to mod the case to make the H100 fit. Bad idea IMO. If you want a self contained liquid cooling system get a H80 or H60 (or their new equivalents) and call it a day.

Never can say I heard good or bad things about ADATA SSDs, but I would still stick to Crucial, Samsung, Plextor, Intel, or Kingston.

The hard drive I see you having space issues with. I would get at least 500GB and I doubt it much more expensive anyway.

GPU is good.

I would look into a higher quality 500W unit personally also or go for the CX600.

RAM is likely fine at 1600MHz. How much extra are you spending on that Patriot kit over regular ones?

Yes it will run PS2 pretty good.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-12-16 at 09:56 AM.
Old 2012-12-16, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I'd stick with 8gb for now if you're bumping into your budget. You can add in some more later if necessary. DDR3 1600 is sticking around for at least one more year.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-12-16, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Grrr
Private

Question Re: Need advice on build for ps2

Ok thx Goku and others so I'm going w/ seagate barracuda on the HDD 500 gb 7200, Crucial 124gb V4 SSD, Corsair H60, G-Skill Ripjaw 2x4 8gb, Corsair 600w 80plus Bronze, NZXT Phantom case full ATX tower. So those are the switches I'm doing cost wise it's saving me about 150 under a 1000 also does amd make any processors that maybe close to equivlancy to the i5? Or do they not compete w/intel?
Old 2012-12-17, 06:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

You don't want a V4. Look into the M4 if you want Crucial. V4 uses Sata II instead of III making it a lot slower. Samsung ones you want are the 830, 840, or 840 Pro. Kingston has the HyperX series. Intel 330, 335, or 520 are good.

For this game I highly suggest just sticking with Intel. AMD's weaker core design is really hurting them in this game.
Old 2012-12-17, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Grrr
Private

Question Re: Need advice on build for ps2

Thx goku for the feedback very much appreciated, is the nzxt phantom a good case for the money?? Also for future upgrades? And would the extra 8 gb of memory make a noticable impact on gameplay if i went ahead with it? And is mobo gonna last awhile with how much of a load its gonna be taking? Thats to bad i used to AMD alot back in 2004 thats to bad would have saved me some cash
Old 2012-12-17, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I hear good stuff about the NZXT tower. If its in your price range and you like the looks go for it.

For the ram. 8GB is plenty, no need for 16GB.

I don't know much about that Z77. However I know this ASUS one is recommended a lot, its good and doesn't cost an arm and leg.

AMD was good back during that time. Intel just has the upper leg right now. I don't see that changing anytime soon either.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum