The Galaxy, king of the Air - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This message will take over your mind in 20 seconds.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2002-11-11, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
FireFrenzy
Sergeant Major

Those guns DO infact look like they'll pack quite a punch, but will probably be incredibly hard to aim. First off, the description says the guns are for ground vehicles ( " The Galaxy utilizes two 75mm cannons in its gunner positions for point defense against ground vehicles. " ) so maybe they are intended to to aim at the ground . But when used for aerial vehicles, i assume they'll be hard to hit with. First off, you have your pilot, who is probably going to be doing some evasive maneuvering, meaning it will be hard to line up some shots (Anyone whos used the belly turret blaster in T2 probably has an idea about this). Secondly, the other craft will be moving around quite a bit as well. Add that together with the size of the masquito, and i can't picture too many shots hitting them...

But you know, all this discussion really doesn't mean anything, since no one has any idea about the game. Hell, the devs could get REALLY crazy (and stupid ) and make the masquito guns very heavy, or the armor on the galaxy not that good. Just have to wait and see...
Old 2002-11-11, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
slytiger
Staff Sergeant

They will be great for ground protection of the troops u unloaded. If there were 4 galaxys going for a drop 2 can unload and the other 2 provide defence then they switch positions. Yes there will be a need for mosquitos or gunships for AA but if the Galaxys can stay low and hid in valleys where the enemy cant see them then they wont be targets for the enemy aircraft.
Old 2002-11-11, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
stick100
Corporal

Originally posted by FireFrenzy
Those guns DO infact look like they'll pack quite a punch, but will probably be incredibly hard to aim. First off, the description says the guns are for ground vehicles
The idea that I'm getting from this is that a galaxy will have basically 2 tank guns on the sides (same size in centimeters as some one Main Battle Tanks I belive), it can fly, and carry people but it will probably not be nearly as tough as a tank / apc. I think putting guns this big on the sides of a transport is just a little too much, I think they should put faster shooting guns smaller cal. (for AA and to cut down the Anti Tank Capabilities). Maybe some thing like the guns on the lightning? Time will tell if they decide to keep these guns on the sides.

Originally posted by slytiger

If there were 4 galaxys going for a drop 2 can unload and the other 2 provide defence then they switch positions.
I think you would be better off to unload some of the people / tanks early and let them get to the drop zone at the same time as the other dropships to provide cover than using the guns. What I'm trying to say is I don't think that 4 big gun turrets (2 Galaxies) would be nearly as effective as a couple people, in coving a deployment, but of course the game isn't done yet so time will tell.
Old 2002-11-11, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Seabass
Private

My understanding is (and i may be wrong) but it is that the mosquito is a repair ship.. I guess it would be like the medic of ships. Medics have sufficent firepower to defend themselves but you wouldn't want to lead an assault with them. However the reaver I am picturing that as the assault class the guy you would want to go in and fight with. just my opinion.
Old 2002-11-11, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

Seabass your dead on the skeeter is not an attack ship. Its Fast recon and repare with a light cannon for defense. Before we knew of the Reaver and an unamed medium gunship it was our only fighter class ship so many think of it as a fighter not scout and repair, i think it will get its use as a reapir ship in the game, if ships can take a considerable amount of damage (4-20 rockets depending on ship) before going down, then the skeeters repair it when its half dead or what ever. If you want fire power the Reaver or the un named medium are better. The fact that the turrets on the Galaxy do have huge blind sopts does leave the Galaxy open, but a good pilot could manuvor so his gunners could have some shots at any skeeter hunting them, and with NO Armor, as we know, the skeeter does not seem like it could take many. Now a reaver back there chewing up with rockets will take it out. Of course we will have a better idea of how it all works when the game comes out.

Old 2002-11-11, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
stick100
Corporal

Originally posted by Tobias
Seabass your dead on the skeeter is not an attack ship. Its Fast recon and repare with a light cannon for defense.
Yea, but don't be suprised if many people make entire careers out of using the skeeter as an attack ship. Because it is the quickest and most manuverable ship if it has a even somewhat decent weapon, this will be the king of dogfighting.

Speed and manuverability (in the hands of a good pilot) trump everything else in dogfighting if there are no auto-aiming weapons.

Think of the number of people in tribes 1 / 2 that would spend the entire game in a scout harassing gunships, bombers, flag runners, and other scouts.

I hope they make a light fighter which is as manuverable or nearly so to the skeeter, but has more armor / firepower, but cannot repair itself and other vehicles. By doing so this would make the best airsupport group a couple skeeters for repairs a couple reavers for harden targerts and a couple of light fighters for general air suppression.
Old 2002-11-11, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

I cant see an unarmored ship with weak guns trumping everything else in air combat, i just cant. It will be a snipers friend for moving about quick and running, but past that i cant see it for combat roles.
Old 2002-11-11, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
stick100
Corporal

I cant see an unarmored ship with weak guns trumping everything else in air combat, i just cant.
Well its quick and can repair itself, so in the hands of a good pilot it would be pretty surviveable. Because it could fight, get a little hurt, run off, heal, return. Granted it still could get taken out easily by a strong hit.
Old 2002-11-11, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

We also know there will be hand held rockets with lock on them, so you can and will get rockets fired at you from the ground going to were ever, and most ships i hope can take a few of these and keep trucking, but i dont think a skeeter will beable to. Granted it will be fast and thus able to avoid some but still. Also AA guns if tyhey have them will keep skeeters from major fire fights above bases with AA.
Old 2002-11-11, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
FireFrenzy
Sergeant Major

You know, a question that comes to mind is:

How the hell are you going to repair something with the Masquito?

I mean, do you go up to it, turn a gun on and shoot it like a repair pack in Tribes...?
Old 2002-11-11, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
stick100
Corporal

Originally posted by FireFrenzy
How the hell are you going to repair something with the Masquito?
I agree that was the first thought that went through my head when I read that the masquito was a repair craft, it just seems so wierd.
Old 2002-11-11, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

well you get out some duck tape and maybe a little gum, super glue fix's everything i think( it is SUPER glue after all). Seriously i dont think anyone but Rocketfodder knows, not even God.

Last edited by Tobias; 2002-11-11 at 01:29 PM.
Old 2002-11-11, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
FireFrenzy
Sergeant Major

well you get out some duck tape and maybe a little gum
Old 2002-11-11, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Hamma
PSU Admin

In one of the subscription gamespot interviews, Dave Georgeson attacks a tank with the mosquito

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-11-11, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

And did it actually WORK? (I'm guessing "no").

Any other juicy bits you'd care to share from that interview, while we're on the subject?