Devs: Engineers Should carry Ammo packs..not LA's. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: moving from topic to topic.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-06, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

Devs: Someone else Should carry Ammo packs..not LA's.

What are your thoughts?

After watching the video from yesterday 3 times and thinking about organized play...

Light Assault troops should be short term troops that get in quick and hard to reach places to clear the way or scout for actual hard hitting shock troops whereas they then pull back and regoup being thin skinned etc.

Giving them ammo packs however will promote lone rambo's to fly up on ridges/inaccessible areas & sit forever with unlimited ammo and just try & fire for kills. Ammo is then not being distributed to the below players near the objective who need it.

You saw even in the livstream video Max's and others needing Ammo bad and no light assaults anywhere to be found.. but medics and engineers were there at the objective.

my thought is engineer's should carry ammo to distribute to others.. not light assault.

This is not a complaint this is a discussion

EDIT: DEVS HAVE NOW CONFIRMED THE LIGHT ASSAULT CLASS WILL NOT KEEP THE AMMO PACKS ANYMORE.

Last edited by Top Sgt; 2012-06-07 at 01:58 PM.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zekeen
Major

Re: Devs: Engineers Should carry Ammo packs..not LA's.

Engineers already have a rather heavy role to play. Having ammo boxes along with engineering is too much, and taking away one of their engineering specialties would not be good for the class.

I think light assault are the main troops, not disposable scouts. I already got a thread in the idea section going on a way to fix the Light Assault giving out ammo and jetpacking at the same time. I believe it makes them more of a tactical and variable class instead of a rush out, supply and die type class.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=41994
Old 2012-06-06, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
RodenyC
Master Sergeant

Ammo/Med packs don't belong in general .
Old 2012-06-06, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

While I agree with that (and if we're sticking to ammo drops the little glowing icon needs to be replaced with an actual game object); are the ammo drops unlimited?

I kind of assumed you'd only get a couple per loadout.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Purple
Sergeant Major

the E3 players were not working together much. during actual play we will see teamwork due to the fact players will be able to talk to eachother. im sure the ammo packs will be limited.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bags
Lieutenant General

I don't understand why the only class that can easily get on the roof can also sustain itself ammo wise on the roof. This is very dumb.

Imagine if soldiers in TF2 could drop ammo packs...
Old 2012-06-06, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I don't understand why the only class that can easily get on the roof can also sustain itself ammo wise on the roof. This is very dumb.

Imagine if soldiers in TF2 could drop ammo packs...
I had suggested that the Light Assault be able to equip a backpack in place of the jetpack, each one giving a different bonus. Ammunition Backpack is one of them. Then they can't just fly and drop and camp.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Unforgiven
Corporal

im against any sort of ammo packs, it should be some sort of resupply point that is either carried in a vehicle, or built by an engineer, its not a game breaker for me, but i know from experience in real life, your buddy cant just pull ammo out of his ass and throw it to you in a fire fight... but he can give you one of his magazines (hint hint)

The Enclave
The Arm of Decision in Battle
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-06, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I think that puts too much support on the engineer class and would lessen the teamwork value of a light assault. I'm not sure jetpack is enough value to the squad to warrant wanting a LA over another HA, medic, engineer, or MAX. Ammo gives them squad value, and the mobility to deliver it where needed.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Neksar
Corporal

Maybe make the medic a support class, and let them carry ammo boxes and a bigger gun to compensate for losing their ability to heal? Perhaps even with a model change to accompany and signal "This guy has bullets. He will give them to you if you ask nicely." That way you have a class for generalized support that will know exactly what its role is, with visual indicators so folks know who to run to.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by RodenyC View Post
Ammo/Med packs don't belong in general .
I agree.

Not with the removal of innovatory. Besides, we had this: Aegis Shield Generator
Old 2012-06-06, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

Light assault is already very one dimensional, while the engineer is a swiss army knife. Its not too uncommon for real world troops to be dedicated ammo mules, but its not the engineers. However I agree with Zekeen that there should be a tradeoff. LA should either take jumpjets or dedicated ammo guy ...but not both. Separating the two (just like infiltrator can't be both sniper and assassin) would allow the devs to better refine these roles.

Last edited by OutlawDr; 2012-06-06 at 01:25 PM.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

I guess my point is this:

Those of us in outfit's.. yes this won't be a big issue

But there will be thousands of random's playing alone.. and you should know what is going to happen. the one's who do not choose a max or to fly.. they will choose light assault knowing they carry ammo.

It will be lone wolf city. All the ammo i'll need and a jetpack to get me in hard to reach places so I can just go for kills etc.

this is why I think this should be changed up some. I'm good with the idea of splitting up the class either carry jet packs or carry ammo packs etc. Doesn't have to be enginner was just a suggestion.

Last edited by Top Sgt; 2012-06-06 at 01:27 PM.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

This isn't too big an issue for me, but I figured that if anyone should have ammo packs, it's Heavy Assault. In any event, it won't a problem :-)

~Zachariah
Old 2012-06-06, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Dreamcast
Major

I agree Light assault should not have ammo..is gonna lead to weird camping spots and it doesn't make sense.

Medic or engineer should have it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion