News: New Interview compares PlanetSide 2 to Risk - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PSU: Do NOT include PSU part in quotes. Oops.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-28, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: New Interview compares PlanetSide 2 to Risk

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
From my brief experience on the BF3 forums for the beta they aren't any more mature.
It is all about percentage.

Aye and forum is not a good showcase. You may always be a troll on the forum board and yet a very formidable teamplayer game-wise.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2011-10-28, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post

Aye and forum is not a good showcase. You may always be a troll on the forum board and yet a very formidable teamplayer game-wise.
Indeed. Just spent lunch lurking the official planetside forums... sad to see that it is still just as big a waste of time as it was at release. What worries me is those folks getting priority beta keys.

I think the point Higgles was trying to make is that combat is going to be faster. You all need to stop jumping on every comparison he makes like they are building a 1000-man-bunny-hopping-dolphin-diving-call-of-modern-battle-company fragfest.
Old 2011-10-28, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Bags
Lieutenant General

If you aren't mature on the forum I doubt you're any more mature in a game where your text is quickly gone.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-10-28, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by TheRagingGerbil View Post
I think the point Higgles was trying to make is that combat is going to be faster. You all need to stop jumping on every comparison he makes like they are building a 1000-man-bunny-hopping-dolphin-diving-call-of-modern-battle-company fragfest.
Well, the point I was making was that the moment-to-moment mechanic are largely the same - checkers and risk both involve picking up a piece and moving it to another spot in planetside or battlefield your mechanic is aiming, shooting a gun and running/driving around - that's the moment-to-moment "action" involved in playing both games.

However, beyond the direct mechanical action of "playing" there's worlds of additional depth in Risk/Planetside 2 compared to checkers/COD/BF. I wasn't trying to compare Planetside to CoD in any way except to say 1) they both involve the same basic "actions" of shooting dudes, and 2) Planetside 2 has a lot more going on beyond that moment-to-moment gameplay.
Old 2011-10-28, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Checkers is a pretty simple, slightly childish game, but that doesn't make it bad. Those same checker players may blossom if they are exposed to and engaged by a game with more depth, like Risk.

I'd like PS2 to attract as large and diverse a crowd as possible, as long as it is also designed to foster a more in depth and refined style of gameplay and not be catering towards the lowest common denominator.

Let's make some PS2 converts. There have gotta be a good number of CoD players who are relatively new to the FPS genre who would love a game like Planetside if they only knew what they were missing.
Old 2011-10-28, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Last edited by Bruttal; 2011-10-28 at 05:15 PM.
Old 2011-10-28, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Well, the point I was making was that the moment-to-moment mechanic are largely the same - checkers and risk both involve picking up a piece and moving it to another spot in planetside or battlefield your mechanic is aiming, shooting a gun and running/driving around - that's the moment-to-moment "action" involved in playing both games.

However, beyond the direct mechanical action of "playing" there's worlds of additional depth in Risk/Planetside 2 compared to checkers/COD/BF. I wasn't trying to compare Planetside to CoD in any way except to say 1) they both involve the same basic "actions" of shooting dudes, and 2) Planetside 2 has a lot more going on beyond that moment-to-moment gameplay.
I think you should use quake, unreal, tribes and halo when making points in the future and not COD / BF.
Old 2011-10-28, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
I think you should use quake, unreal, tribes and halo when making points in the future and not COD / BF.
He's trying to be up to date to make sure newer gamers know what he's talking about. We all know what CoD and BF are, but a lot of newer gamers won't know as much about tribes or quake (unfortunately).

Unreal Tournament is even more radically different from Planetside than CoD or BF are.

Halo wouldn't be a bad comparison though. Still, I can see the use of BF and CoD. They are the FPS giants at the moment, so you use them as a point or reference.
Old 2011-10-28, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
He's trying to be up to date to make sure newer gamers know what he's talking about. We all know what CoD and BF are, but a lot of newer gamers won't know as much about tribes or quake (unfortunately).

Unreal Tournament is even more radically different from Planetside than CoD or BF are.

Halo wouldn't be a bad comparison though. Still, I can see the use of BF and CoD. They are the FPS giants at the moment, so you use them as a point or reference.
Yea halo would have to be the best comparison...now if they just drop ADS and bring back COF...it would be the perfect one.
Old 2011-10-28, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Bags
Lieutenant General

They are having a combination of ADS and COF.

ADS for rifle esque guns, COF for more close quarter guns. <-- not confirmed, but what it sounded like.
Old 2011-10-28, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Think I prefer ADS over CoF. CoF had it's perks, but it still drives me nuts when bullet spread is determined by how long I'm firing my weapon, and not my ability to correct my aim DURING firing my weapon. This is assuming kickback actually displaces my aim of course.

I like to think it would be easy to just have CoF while firing from your hip while ADS shooting just displaces your aim with each shot.

BTW, it drove me insane when ADS in Killzone 2 was no different from hip fire. Bullets still fired in a wide spread, regardless of what you did. I DON'T want that in Planetside 2, or any FPS for that matter.
Old 2011-10-28, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
If the game works as they intend it to, with people actually doing things objective oriented, then this could be like risk.... but 80% of the people who play who have never played Planetside that are coming straight from mw2/3 are going to be like 'WHERE THE FUCK IS MY KILLSTREAK THIS GAME IS SHIT RAWR RAWR' and it will be sheldon cooper's version of 3 man chess!

hence the "win" scenario. if you don't give the kiddies their false feeling of being satisfied, the game will not be very populated.
I don't understand this. You do win. It's your base. Your empire control it's more of a victory than CoD or BF... Cause when they win... The map resets. Why do people keep acting like you can't win Planetside you take the base. You can take the continent it's now your empires continent. Again you just won. How can you say you don't win?
Old 2011-10-28, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by EASyEightyEight View Post
Think I prefer ADS over CoF. CoF had it's perks, but it still drives me nuts when bullet spread is determined by how long I'm firing my weapon, and not my ability to correct my aim DURING firing my weapon. This is assuming kickback actually displaces my aim of course.

I like to think it would be easy to just have CoF while firing from your hip while ADS shooting just displaces your aim with each shot.

BTW, it drove me insane when ADS in Killzone 2 was no different from hip fire. Bullets still fired in a wide spread, regardless of what you did. I DON'T want that in Planetside 2, or any FPS for that matter.
Bullet spray is still random with ADS.
Old 2011-10-28, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by xSlideShow View Post
I don't understand this. You do win. It's your base. Your empire control it's more of a victory than CoD or BF... Cause when they win... The map resets. Why do people keep acting like you can't win Planetside you take the base. You can take the continent it's now your empires continent. Again you just won. How can you say you don't win?
when you get better gear faster from owning a base and resources and you're apart of the wow generation, LOOT IS WINNING.
Old 2011-10-28, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Traak
Colonel

Really?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion