Major items from Twitter - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If you think Vanu weapon aim is bad, you should see their toilets
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-29, 09:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Marth Koopa
Banned

Re: Major items from Twitter

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
We don't have back holstering right now... it has to do with the number of draw calls that out characters cost, since there is such deep customization for both weapons and armor they were getting way too expensive for us to have hundreds on the screen at once =)
Surely you could have a checkbox in the options menu to turn it on and off? I wants maximum eye candy and I'll pay out the nose on hardware to get it!
Old 2011-10-29, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Might be....

* MCG renamed to Heavy Cycler
* Heavy Cycler is a Cycler variant
* Heavy Cycler is a MCG variant
* "Heavy" is an ammo type
Good points. Semantically correct on all points.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-10-29, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by Marth Koopa View Post
Surely you could have a checkbox in the options menu to turn it on and off? I wants maximum eye candy and I'll pay out the nose on hardware to get it!
I promise you we're squeezing as much in as we can handle.
Old 2011-10-29, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Traak
Colonel

Looks like "as much in as we can handle" is quite a bit, so far.

Unless the screen stuff we have been seeing is the usual "great concept art, followed by Telepong-level graphics in the real world" so to speak.
Old 2011-10-29, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Creative director posting on a fan site at 7pm on a Saturday. Awesome.

Graphics don't mean much to me, I'll always take better game play or an advantage ingame over seeing pretty things. Please don't hurt me T-Ray.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-10-29, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
Looks like "as much in as we can handle" is quite a bit, so far.

Unless the screen stuff we have been seeing is the usual "great concept art, followed by Telepong-level graphics in the real world" so to speak.
All the screens and videos we've posted are game assets in game engine. Now, of course, if your hardware can't handle the highest settings we'll shift graphical quality downwards, but until you hear otherwise assume everything you see is legit and in the game client.
Old 2011-10-29, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
TRex
First Sergeant

will heavy assault be an either /or situation with regards loading out in AI /AV ie you can either carry a big mcg or a striker, but not both at same time (since I think we have no backpack to put alt stuff in now) ?

as for the back holstering thing , I'll miss it , but I'll go along with that , anything to reduce lag or keep my frames up will be appreciated . can't buy a new rig for quite a while so I'll have to eek out a half decent game in meantime .
Old 2011-10-29, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Traak
Colonel

All the screens and videos we've posted are game assets in game engine. Now, of course, if your hardware can't handle the highest settings we'll shift graphical quality downwards, but until you hear otherwise assume everything you see is legit and in the game client.
*quietly slips into a soundproof room*

YAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

*calmly slips out, adjusts tie and Kent glasses, goes back about his business*

Last edited by Traak; 2011-10-29 at 09:56 PM.
Old 2011-10-29, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Hamma
PSU Admin

Awesome!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-10-29, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by TRex View Post
will heavy assault be an either /or situation with regards loading out in AI /AV ie you can either carry a big mcg or a striker, but not both at same time (since I think we have no backpack to put alt stuff in now) ?

as for the back holstering thing , I'll miss it , but I'll go along with that , anything to reduce lag or keep my frames up will be appreciated . can't buy a new rig for quite a while so I'll have to eek out a half decent game in meantime .
Yes, most of the classes are setup that way, can spec in a couple really diverse roles but they're making trade offs... so if you want an MCG (yes, there is an mcg) you wouldn't packing any AV equip.
Old 2011-10-29, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Bags
Lieutenant General

I'll believe there's an MCG when I sees it.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-10-29, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I'll believe there's an MCG when I sees it.
Bags I already sent you this epic playtest screenshot for our fearsome TR HA with a MCG...

http://yfrog.com/kh7hxmvj
Old 2011-10-29, 10:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Sirisian
Colonel

We don't have back holstering right now... it has to do with the number of draw calls that out characters cost, since there is such deep customization for both weapons and armor they were getting way too expensive for us to have hundreds on the screen at once =)
I usually try not to get technical, but it sounds like this could have been implemented differently.

As a quick example you have 1 weapon and just imagine all the vertices for a second. Those make up the vertex buffer object in model space. Now overlap those vertices with the location of every customization option available for the weapon. Now you have a cloud of vertices that are say 64 bytes each. Say that for a single weapon you have 1000 vertices for the weapon then 100 vertices for each add-on with a total of 50 add-ons for the weapon. (1000 + 100 * 50) * 64 bytes per vertex = 375 kilobytes for the VBO per weapon. The "trick" comes when creating the IBO. Every unique weapon + add-on combination would have their own IBO. Now since making every combination would be silly we can instead just compute the IBO connections if we know where the add-ons merge with the base gun mesh. (Simple operation). So if there are 100 unique weapons that means there are 100 unique IBOs. Let's say each gun has an average of 5 add-ons at a time. That would give us an IBO size of 1500 vertices. That's 2 bytes per index so 3000 bytes. So 3000 * 100 IBOs = 300 KB. So on average for each gun you'd have less than 800 KB of mesh data. And texturing is easy if all weapons have a texture atlas for their own texture and add-ons.

Even assuming 50 guns that's 40 MB of data. Though it could be far less since the program would be recycling and dynamically generating the IBOs when a new weapon entered the player's view. However that makes it 1 draw call per weapon. Assuming holsters that 4 draw calls per player on average probably.

The same idea extends to characters but the cost is higher what with animations. Ignoring bones and other things and still going with 64 bytes per vertex if each is say 10K verts and each upgrade is 500 vertices with a total of 100 ad-ons and 6 classes that's 22 MB VBO. Then for 500 players with unique setups that's say 20,000 indices (2 bytes each) * 500 players = 19 MB for the VBOs for a total of 41 MB of data.

For both weapons and players that's 81 MB without animation data with 5 draw calls per player (1 player + 4 weapons holstered). Actually I can see why that would be troublesome especially with your texture resolutions and animation costs. Then again I think I overestimated the per vertex cost by a lot. Good luck.

// edit force programmers to post

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-10-29 at 10:52 PM.
Old 2011-10-29, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
TRex
First Sergeant

@ Sirisian , haven't a clue what you just said , blew my brain away though, seriously impressed.
Old 2011-10-29, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Special Assault? This hasn't been mentioned at all. Will Heavy Assault have Special Assault?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion