The Vanu Sovereignty seems out of place. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: can you guess what BFR stands for?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-04, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

Re: The Vanu Sovereignty seems out of place.

Originally Posted by cryosin View Post
The VS where originally TR, so they are hated by the NC already.

Then they broke away from the TR, making the TR hate them.

They also feel superior to the other two factions, so they think they can beat them.

The weapons are more advanced, but since its newer tech it has its trade offs.

Ie: The lasers don't have drop off but do less damage over distances.

This is actually very common in our real world. When new technology comes out, it provides benefits and drawbacks.

ie: Electric cars don't use gas but their batteries need charging and lose their charge after much use.
Everyone was originally TR, technically.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
cBselfmonkey
Sergeant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Why we didnt team up with the NC to fight the TR? Itsnt it obvious? The NC are a even bigger thread to mankind than those who call themself TR.
Hehehehehe...

-I mean, wait what?

THe TR goverment back on earth, under the rule of Connery and other great presidents, allowed Mankind to witness a era of peace. We explored our solar system and build colonys on Mars, the Jupiter Moons and other stellar bodys within our solar system, something that could not have been done without the TR. But since we went through the wormhole, thigns changed. Connery tried to keep freedom over everything, but it was the NC who destroyed this freedom. They came and blew connery himself up, the man who showed us the first step into a new era!
The Lieutenant Commander paused and stared into the mug as he swirled the coffee around. “Ideally, what Connery needs to do,” he continued, “is step down as the commander of this mission. Let someone with a pair run the show.”

“The man ran a government that took care of forty-three billion people; he can handle the forty thousand in the fleet. You’re insane to think he’s going to step down,” Miller said. “Even more so if you think the people would even consider voting the man out to allow some hard-ass to enact your neurotic, heavy handed restrictions.”

“These restrictions are the only things that are going to keep this fleet alive long enough to find a planet we can live on, Miller.”

“Lieutenant, I’m not certain what you’re expecting to accomplish by bringing this up to me alone. Hell, you could’ve saved your breath for next week’s council meeting when they shoot down your oppressive measures like any sane person would do. I’m done with this ridiculous meeting, Waterson,” Miller said. He shook his head and turned around, walking towards the closed door.

“I wouldn’t walk through that door if you value your family’s lives, Adam. You should sit down,” Waterson threatened.

The councilman froze mid-step. “Excuse me?”

“It’d be an awful shame your Jenny is at the wrong place at the wrong time. I can’t exactly promise that the local authorities could continue to keep your family safe, what with being spread so thin lately. I’ve spoken to far more than just you about this matter, Adam, and the final step before I can begin to put this plan into action is your cooperation. Everything else is already in place, and all we need now is another beloved figurehead. When the time comes, of course.”

Miller stood facing the door and turned around to the grinning Lieutenant Commander, knowing his hands were tied. “Another? You’re sickening, Brent. How do you call yourself T.R.?”

“Because no one will ever find out, Adam. Who would question us if we pinned it on some of Mattherson’s starving N.C. cronies? We’re calling the shots here, remember? I trust that you’ll comply, given the terms of our agreement, correct?” Waterson said, grinning at his victory.
http://www.planetside2.com/news/may102012story

The TR military killed their own president because they wanted more control. The NC were just convenient fall guys. Heck based on Connery's log entries that have been put up on the PS2 site the guy seemed to have more in common with the NC then what the Auraxian TR have become.

Thats why we, the VS, did engage combat against the TR and the NC. Its the only way to free auraxis from war is by destroying those who want the war. We want peace, but the time for words is over.
Cuz religious based organizations never fracture or divide over ideology. United forever under the watch of our new telepathic alien artifact overlords, eh?

Last edited by cBselfmonkey; 2012-06-04 at 04:51 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Santiak
Private

Personally, I don't consider them that much out of place, really.

Granted, they didn't actively take part in the war untill their hands were forced. Which speaks volumes about their sense of superiority, in my opinion. You can either look at is an attempt to maintain neutrality (if you ask VS), or a hope that the two heathen empires would obliterate each other (if you ask anyone else).

They didn't side with the NC, because that would draw them into the conflict - they wouldn't be able to hide behind them, they purposefully tried to maintain neutrality, or avoid casualties, by not doing this. But when it became obvious that the war would consume everything, they decided that "clearing up the problem", would be the best option, and thought this could be done easily.

This would also explain why their weaponry aren't above par; they simply haven't put that much research into weapons yet, instead focusing on what they percieve as technology that might improve the way of life for humanity.
After all, had they researched weaponry to any great extent, they couldn't claim they were actively trying to avoid war. The fact that they have done that to a certain extent, is part of their dichotomy. Is their intent truly just the betterment of humankind, or are they to a greater extent trying to manipulate everyone into their beliefs - after all, they do nigh worship the Vanu tech.

And given that they actually have put research into weaponry, they have tried to create weaponry that operate differently than what would be common, but seeing as they are already quite effective, it's no longer just a matter of creating new weapons, but also a case of trying to fix what isn't broken, meaning you won't necessarily get something that hurts more than a solid metal object, hurled through your body at 5km/s. Just something that makes the weapon easier to use, such as not having to worry about declining projectile paths or air resistance - but instead energy dissipation, and potential damage due to no mass to affect the target.

And as for NC and VS going at each other, consider it might be possible that the VS refused to share their technology with everyone - out of their former sense of superiority (if you ask everyone else), or because they were afraid the technology would be corrupted (if you ask VS). Now, you have a civilian populace that not only is downtrodden, but is also starving, and those that might be able to help, refuse to do so - what would you do, if you were of the NC mindset of protecting the people at all costs?

In any case, that's part of the story in a short story i'm writing. ^^

Last edited by Santiak; 2012-06-04 at 05:04 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Shlomoshun
Private

I may be making this up, but I seem to remember that part of the Vanu Sovereignty was that they had a ruling class of scientists, sorta like a religious ruling class. This ruling class had 'seen the light' so to speak that only through the Vanu technology could mankind be free'd of it's suffering. In many ways, as a poster above had written, they are sort of like a religion. Think about the Vatican, they controls vast amounts of wealth and knowledge and they don't necessarily share that knowledge in a democratic way with mankind, instead they keep it to themselves and decide for themselves how to best provide their enlightenment to the public.
Just like the Pope and it's dealings with the public, the NC are a threat as they would allow the public full access to all that information, which might mean it is dispensed improperly, which could jeopardize it's ability to bring true peace to men. Think Martin Luthur and the Reformation as to why those two sides are fighting...
As for the TR, they are attempting to restrict the Vanu from their freedom to pursue this research. Which also could prevent them bringing peace and happiness.
Old 2012-06-04, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

I would have to say it probably comes from some of the more base human perceptions:

They consider the TR and NC as barriers to further perfecting their grasp of vanu.

Assuming they indeed consider that they are evolving humanity through genetic manipulation, some might consider the humans amongst the TR and NC a lesser species. One to be exterminated so that theirs can thrive.

Some might simply believe in a technocracy rather than a corporate funded democracy or a fascist republic.

Some leaders within the vanu simply indoctrinated their subordinates into believing that this is the only path that they can take.
Old 2012-06-04, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Antivide
Corporal

TR Represents the Government, or the "Oppressors"

NC Represents the Rebels, or the "Freedom fighters"

VS Represents the Religion, or "Religious Nut jobs"

There's an archetype for each faction.

Simply put:

TR - Oppression (Or Loyalty, if you prefer)
NC - Freedom, liberty
VS - Religion, Science

VS Is the most interesting, since they are a mashup of both religion and science. It's an interesting aesthetic it it does well to foil with the other two more "down to earth" factions.
Old 2012-06-04, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

The NC are redneck fools, caught up in the lies of large corporations. Big business wants free markets and expansion not a tightly structured social system, easy answer? round up and equip some idiot "freedom fighters" then rule over the ashes (Ben Nova: Colony, just read it and it suits the situation well).

The TR are a dictatorship that trample peoples freedoms and refuse to protect the people they are supposed to support.

Because we cant trust either faction with the tech we have rediscovered and modified, so we use it ourselves to fight for the chances for a future without humanity regulated to #cattle# that is rounded up by the powerful few.
Old 2012-06-04, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Fenrys
Major

The NC are greedy capitalist oppressors who want to stifle the free exchange of information, cover up new technologies to continue profiting from the old, and turn humanity in general into a slave race of debtors.

Gee, why would any free thinking scientist who values knowledge for its own sake not support those guys?
Old 2012-06-04, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by cBselfmonkey View Post
Hehehehehe...

-I mean, wait what?

http://www.planetside2.com/news/may102012story

The TR military killed their own president because they wanted more control. The NC were just convenient fall guys. Heck based on Connery's log entries that have been put up on the PS2 site the guy seemed to have more in common with the NC then what the Auraxian TR have become.

Cuz religious based organizations never fracture or divide over ideology. United forever under the watch of our new telepathic alien artifact overlords, eh?

The VS is not a religion, Vanu is no god. We simply accepted the truth: There are alien beings out there, and they are more powerful than we are. We accepted this simple truth. Now we work torwards the the goal to enhance ourself and mankind as a whole, by using alien technology to boost our own evolution.

But being the NC you are, ignorant and foolish, you propably wont understand that at all.

(Keep in mind that this whole thread is a RolePlay Trash talk thread for me. If i insult you, then just because you are a scumback NC/TR! )
Old 2012-06-04, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

Supreme Commander: 2 (despite the smaller scale and accelerated pace) had a pretty similar 3 way dynamic and you didn't see people complaining that the Aeon Illuninate faction were not
a logical faction
Basically we, the Vanu Soverignty, see the reality of the situation.
The other plebean factions just want control over everyone and everything.
Should the VS ever choose to turn their weapons off #defrost# and onto #chargrill or puree?# to just finish the war quickly, we promise to relinquish power as soon as we know some open minded citizens are willing to step up and help humanity accept that stagnation only leads to extinction and decline.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-06-04 at 05:19 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I just wish there was more lore about the original Oshur bird fossil. I had all kinds of theories about that thing.
Old 2012-06-04, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by IMMentat View Post
Supreme Commander: 2 (despite the smaller scale and accelerated pace) had a pretty similar 3 way dynamic and you didn't see people complaining that the Aeon Illuninate faction were not .
All I ever heard them complain about was me teleporting my troops right into the middle of their base taking their commander out.

Old 2012-06-04, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
razor851
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Memeotis View Post
I never played Planetside 1
I stopped reading there.

Join the PlanetSide Steam Group!
Old 2012-06-04, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
SurgeonX
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Memeotis View Post
To me, the Vanu just does not seem like a logical faction. Just based on lore, it does not make sense why the people who formed the VS did not join the NC, since they are clearly not interested in fighting in the first place...
You do realise that this is just a game?

Want to browse through hundreds of PlanetSide 2 images?
Or just see what Higby eats for lunch?
Then click here
Old 2012-06-04, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
AshOck
Private

From the original manual:

"Vanu Sovereignty - The destiny of the human species tilts toward ruin. Thousands of years of shortsightedness and provincial thinking have hampered its proper evolution. We plunge towards oblivion. Those able to comprehend the promise and potential of humanity will advance. They will usher the less gifted through the gateway of understanding and cleanse the taint of blindness, ignorance and mulishness from the species. We are the shepherds of evolution, the harbingers of progress. We lead toward the light."

Good enough reasons to wage war in my book
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion