Does DL need a nerf? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the Auraxis Global Network (AGN)
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-08-27, 02:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Does DL need a nerf?

Well what do you think?

I have played both a cloaker and a grunt extensivly and I dont think DL is overpowered. As a cloaker if I was sneaky, diddn't bother anyone and diddnt get my self any unnesecary attention, DL was almost irrevalent. Sure there is the occational flicker, but I seemed to rarely die from those. The only time I died from darklight was when I gave away a hint of my presence. In that case I should be caught. Alot of cloakers think its overpowered and my only conclusion is that they must suck at cloaking. The cloaker is not supposed to be a grunt killing machine. It is designed to infiltrate, blow gens, back hack bases. Take towers right out from under the defenders noses, hack AMS's and the like. Anyway thats just my 2 cents.

Edit: Gah forgot to click the pole option.
Old 2004-08-27, 03:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
EarlyDawn
Major General

I don't think it needs a nerf so much as it is bland. Needs some kind of new functionality. Something similar to the motion sensor from Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomarrow Merc Multiplayer would be cool. I also had this idea for replacing Darklight..

Originally Posted by Earlydawn
I think darklight needs a new mechanic behind it. Something more fun. Prehaps, it takes a "snapshot" of the surrounding area, and displays it for you so you can see cloakers.

However, if any cloaker is crafty enough, he can get away while the implant recharges.

With this setup, offer two types of Darklight: We'll call them Darklight Red and Blue.

Darklight red has an "upwards" charge time. In otherwards, you have to wait 5 seconds to take the "snapshot" after you hit the button. The standard icon is displayed for anybody looking at you, but it's red. Immediately after the snapshot is taken, that icon fades. So any cloaker not looking at you while you waited to take it, may potentially not know.

Darklight blue is the opposite. It has a 10 second recharge time after the snapshot is taken, but there's no warning for anyone nearby. However, a blue darklight icon does persist until the recharge cycle is complete.

Red: Wait-to-use with warning, but faster overall. Possibly get the jump on a cloaker who dosen't know you're there.

Blue: No wait, and no warning, but longer recharge, and everyone can see when you can't use it (stabby stabby)

Thoughts? I also don't know if it should be a mutually exclusive implant, although I'd tend to say yes, I'd like input on that too.

[Edit: I should be a little clearer about what I mean by a snapshot. any cloaker caught in your FOV has the standard visability of a cloaker when you look at them with darklight. None of that 3rd person nonsense, just what's in your FOV.

However, if, say, that cloaker you caught in your darklight "flash", moved from the corner, you'd still see him, slightly faded in whatever state he was in when you flashed him. In otherwards, just what the implant caught at the time.

These ghosts fade over a period of 5 seconds for DLR, and a period of 10 for DLB]
Old 2004-08-27, 03:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I'm fine with Darklight how it is now. I also found that a lot of the time if you'd just avoid the enemy you wouldn't run into problems with DL usually. Based on previous threads it's obvious to me that there are still a lot of very successful cloakers out there, and they all seem very, very proud of their accomplishments. There doesn't seem to be much reason for a DL nerf. Sure, it's fairly easy to kill a cloaker when you see them via DL, but I can't see any way to change that without having to nerf cloaker offensive ability. Right now, cloakers can be very dangerous. With DL being less effective, they'll only be stronger, and I don't want to see cloakers fall into that role even further.
Old 2004-08-27, 04:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sploogey
Corporal

i agree its fine now
Old 2004-08-27, 05:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Death909
Private

I think its a bit overpowered, but most of the suggestions offered in the other threads have been way too extreme. Darklight would be fine with a 2 second minimum usage timer and a small range decrease of about 10m.
Old 2004-08-27, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

DL seems wasteful and overspecialized to me, I would rather have surge.
Old 2004-08-27, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
SuperSixOne
Private

eld shouldnt you be at work! and not killing me with your gauss while "working".

I think darklight should be limited to a small circle about the size of your 2X zoom FOV, and not allow people to use 3rd person. Should allow cloakers that give themselves away to be found but still gives them achance to surge away and get away from the persons FOV
Old 2004-08-27, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

I am at work! the land of 30 fps and no audio
Old 2004-08-27, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

It needs to drain a small ammount of stamina when you initialize it to keep people from flickering it and the 3rd person use of it needs to go
Old 2004-08-27, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

3rd person DL needs to go.

It shouldn't work while you're in a vehicle.

It needs either a minimum use timer/bigger stamina hit upon initialization to discourage flickering.
Old 2004-08-27, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

This is like the 3rd? 4th? thread on darklight, it's like going round in circles
Old 2004-08-27, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

It's the topic du jour. Just like all the surge topics during the heydey of surgile, just like all the Jackhammer topics before the other HA got buffed, just like all the Lasher topics during 2.0, just like all the Striker topics with the original Striker, just like all the old Pounder topics. Notice a trend here? Normally when a topic gets this much attention there's a reason for it and something actually happens by way of a fix. In each case there were people adamant that nothing needed fixing (usually those benefitting from some lack of balance) and people adamant that a fix was necessary (usually those who felt slighted by the perceived lack of balance). When the roar gets loud enough, the Devs are forced to take a look.
Old 2004-08-27, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Atlas24
Corporal

Raaaaooowwrr!!!

666th SH4D0W 0wnZ J00!
Old 2004-08-27, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Edited to keep the discussion in the other threads.

Last edited by Warborn; 2004-08-27 at 02:46 PM.
Old 2004-08-27, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
HawkEye
Major

Misc Info

DL is fine.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion