Subscription What we get & want. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: wait til the chicks get a hold of the new backpacks
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-09, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Re: Subscription What we get & want.

While I do want to be in the Premium Member category, I don't really like the $15 a month. I think it should be more like, you get certain benefits if you've spent a certain amount of cash in the shop, or if you spend some every month. Like an Xp boost that lasts for a month after buying anything. Or spending X amount of cash gives you a free camo, buying something for 6 consecutive months gives you access to some veteran chat channel, just brain storming here
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-03-09, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Something like this. http://www.ddo.com/vip or http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html and its ONLY $9

To this day I still think that Turbine has the best "f2p but you can sub to be a vip" model I've seen yet.

Honestly $15 a month is a rip off and shows you are just milking a cow. $9 a month is good.

So all in all. Take Turbine's F2p model. Switch most of the RPG parts to League of Legends models and there you go.
Old 2012-03-09, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Fenrys
Major

Anyone who buys a sub, gets some permanent benefits (they don't go away even if you stop paying sub):

-More character slots
-Access to a sub-section of custom camo patterns (not the entire store, but part of it)
-5% bonus to XP

While the sub is running:

-100% personal XP bonus
-Bonus XP for anyone who completes the highest level missions assigned by subscribed players
-[X] item store gold where [X] is the price of the sub

The sub price could be anything. Buy one item, like a $0.25 decal for your tank, and you're subbed for the next 14 days from the purchase date. And now SOE has your CC# and can tempt you with hassle-free purchases in the future.

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-03-09 at 10:56 AM.
Old 2012-03-09, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Sirisian
Colonel

Using megamold's and others idea's I think the fairest system that I'd like would be:
Membership, $10 or $15
  • Normal XP/Cert Training
  • Same money also put in Station Cash
  • Whatever your primary character's faction is on a server two other characters with the same name are created on the server for the opposing faction and are usable. They receive the same cert experience as the primary character. If Membership is lost the two other faction characters are locked and only the primary faction character is accessible. A 30 minute timer is used to delay instant switching. (This is a convenience feature so that 3 accounts are not required to fully experience the game's 3 factions).
  • Larger resource cap?
  • Highest queue priority

Premium, Buy X amount of Station Cash
  • Slower (like 50%) XP/Cert Training
  • Larger resource cap?
  • Medium queue priority

Free Account
  • Slower (like 25%) XP/Cert Training

Also an ability for all:
  • Can use Station Cash to transfer primary character on a server to another faction. Does not reset training for that faction's character. If a character is transferred to a new faction that the character name has never been used on they receive cert training time equal to their previous character that they can then spend. Once unlocked though the changes are final.

Notice how I kept the resources system identical for both. I believe this will be extremely important to the balance of the game. I'll be using a subscription probably, but I want the resource system to be independent. Mostly because I want it to be a legitimate way to fairly get power in the game for playing. So if a sidegrade/upgrade cost 200 resources I don't want someone to feel like they're cheated because someone else is pulling an awesome vehicle every spawn while they're forced to wait.

That would keep me paying a subscription. The last thing that I'd suggest and this is controversial probably for SOE, but for anyone that has paid for so many years of membership (say 3 years) would unlock the membership features on their account forever minus the Station Cash perk. No one would know or see this, but their account would switch to "Veteran Status" in their account info for Planetside 2. Then if they wanted to buy things they could just use Station Cash like normal without the need for a continued membership. Basically a reward for long time supporters of the game.

So basically anyone that was already planning to spend as much as the membership fee is would just grab a membership account with no downsides. F2P players could play the game unhindered by a player's membership status since resources couldn't be gained any faster. Their choices for what they could spend their resources on might just be smaller unless they play for a longer time to unlock certs.

// edit added queue priority.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-03-09 at 12:11 PM.
Old 2012-03-09, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I think there should be perks, but why do you think you should have access to everything? Especially when everything in the store will be way more expensive then what your sub is worth. That is almost akin to paying to win IMO.

This isn't going to be the main money maker for PS2 and really just more of a bonus to give to those who want that.
i agree , when you make everything free the added problem of what happens to it when you stop paying might piss people off.
i would rather get a 75% discount to buy the stuff i actually like and never lose it even if i no longer pay the sub
i wouldnt pay 15$ for a discount but generaly speaking subs in f2p games are cheaper then the regular pay to play model
Old 2012-03-09, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
ThGlump
Captain

Subscribers only server! (clean from most hackers)

Dont give subscribers everything (it really is weird if you had something bought). Just give them some free station cash every subscribed month so they can buy it like others.
Old 2012-03-09, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
TotoDestroy
Private

Misc Info

I thought it'd be more like Tribes: Ascend where you spend maybe $40 upfront, and you get more XP and some Station cash upfront to get started.
Old 2012-03-09, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

LoL sucked at least $250 out of me.. I'm pretty sure Planetside will do well enough in an F2P model, possibly better than subscription only.

$15 is nothing. Extra exp is fine. Happy just to be playing the damn game and supporting it's future. People are complaining it's too much? The game is FREE.....

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com

Last edited by Skitrel; 2012-03-09 at 01:48 PM.
Old 2012-03-09, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Niemand
Private

-higher dividend on empire resources
example: f2p player has two 'stocks' in his empire
P2P player gets 3 'stocks'
Store Option: Able to purchase one additional stock, so lowest you can have is 2 and highest is 4 for p2p member who purchases stock.

-Discount on store items, something not too high like 10-20%

- Signing Bonus - When you become a p2p member for the first time (Maybe once a month) you get to choose 1-3 items from the store.

-Cert remapping- If cert remapping is in Planetside 2 a P2P member is allowed to remap at a higher frequency.

-
Old 2012-03-09, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Graywolves
General

I WANT MY RED AND BLACK GRAYWOLVES SPECIFIC WOLF ARMOR!

I think the EXP boost AND the ability to purchase from the cash shop with resources. (Suppose it depends on the amount of subscription cost.)
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-09, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

A subscriber model needs to provide bonuses that are only retained as long as you are a subscriber and include things that are not purchasable a la carte.

I had a set of ideas about the business model a long time ago that I presented here:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=36477

Some additional stuff...

1) Priority access in any game queues. MMOs have server queues, it happens. If it happens in PS2, subscribers should be at the front of the line. Hopefully this doesn't happen, but if it does, kinda silly not to put the regularly paying customers first.

2) Resource-cap limit increase. Players get resources in the game, but to keep the resources always valuable it would be important for the game to have a limit on the amount of resources players can stockpile. Think of this like "Bank space" in previous games. Subscribers could have maybe an extra 20-30% more stockpiled resources, so long as they remain subscribed.

3) Permanent access to the XP-boost implant. If the XP boost implant is a one-time-buy thing and lasts a limited amount of time then subscribers should be able to activate it whenever. Alternatley it could be always-on passively and not even take up an implant slot as long as they are subscribed.

4) Access to a set of skins/models only available to subscribers. There could be a set of skins and cosmetic enhancements that are permanently only available to subscribers and can be used as long as the subscription is active.

Then there could be perks that are available to subscribers that might otherwise cost cash that subscribers could get credits for. For example, each month of subscription might grant a subscriber a credit or set of credits for other services or a set of station cash.

5) Each month of subscription could net 1 free respec of all certs.

6) Subscribers could be given one special cosmetic upgrade every month - a new camo pattern, a new gun model, a new sight skin, etc. This could be just a sort of "thank you" from the dev team each month. These special cosmetic upgrades could be available to all players to buy with station cash after a certain period of time (like 3 months), so it would still be possible to get them but non-subscribers have to wait, and subscribers get them automatically.

7) Every month of subscription could net a bonus of station cash that the player could use to spend on cosmetic upgrades or what not.

Is important that subscription benefits offer some incentive to stay subscribed, and they aren't benefits one could get simply by spending some one-time cash. DDO had that problem where subscribers got benefits but you could purchase those benefits a la carte, and if you were playing the game for more than a year then you actually lose money by being a subscriber - the cost of individually purchasing the perks of a subscription was roughly equivalent 1 year of paying a subscription. That's why I believe subscribers should have benefits that are otherwise unavailable. If not then it will never be beneficial to be a subscriber if you plan on playing the game long-term.

I dont' expect all of these things to be perks of subscription, just throwing out ideas.
Old 2012-03-09, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
A subscriber model needs to provide bonuses that are only retained as long as you are a subscriber and include things that are not purchasable a la carte.

I had a set of ideas about the business model a long time ago that I presented here:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=36477

Some additional stuff...

1) Priority access in any game queues. MMOs have server queues, it happens. If it happens in PS2, subscribers should be at the front of the line. Hopefully this doesn't happen, but if it does, kinda silly not to put the regularly paying customers first.

2) Resource-cap limit increase. Players get resources in the game, but to keep the resources always valuable it would be important for the game to have a limit on the amount of resources players can stockpile. Think of this like "Bank space" in previous games. Subscribers could have maybe an extra 20-30% more stockpiled resources, so long as they remain subscribed.

3) Permanent access to the XP-boost implant. If the XP boost implant is a one-time-buy thing and lasts a limited amount of time then subscribers should be able to activate it whenever. Alternatley it could be always-on passively and not even take up an implant slot as long as they are subscribed.

4) Access to a set of skins/models only available to subscribers. There could be a set of skins and cosmetic enhancements that are permanently only available to subscribers and can be used as long as the subscription is active.

Then there could be perks that are available to subscribers that might otherwise cost cash that subscribers could get credits for. For example, each month of subscription might grant a subscriber a credit or set of credits for other services or a set of station cash.

5) Each month of subscription could net 1 free respec of all certs.

6) Subscribers could be given one special cosmetic upgrade every month - a new camo pattern, a new gun model, a new sight skin, etc. This could be just a sort of "thank you" from the dev team each month. These special cosmetic upgrades could be available to all players to buy with station cash after a certain period of time (like 3 months), so it would still be possible to get them but non-subscribers have to wait, and subscribers get them automatically.

7) Every month of subscription could net a bonus of station cash that the player could use to spend on cosmetic upgrades or what not.

Is important that subscription benefits offer some incentive to stay subscribed, and they aren't benefits one could get simply by spending some one-time cash. DDO had that problem where subscribers got benefits but you could purchase those benefits a la carte, and if you were playing the game for more than a year then you actually lose money by being a subscriber - the cost of individually purchasing the perks of a subscription was roughly equivalent 1 year of paying a subscription. That's why I believe subscribers should have benefits that are otherwise unavailable. If not then it will never be beneficial to be a subscriber if you plan on playing the game long-term.

I dont' expect all of these things to be perks of subscription, just throwing out ideas.
This is a great list of benefits for subscribers.

There has to be strong incentives not only to subscribe, but to maintain that subscription.
Old 2012-03-09, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
nomotog
Sergeant

The only thing you don't want to do is give more resources to subscribers. That would basically be selling power because it would let subscribers pull out bigger weapons more often and brake the balance.
Old 2012-03-09, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
NEWSKIS
Corporal

Truthfully it depends on the exact values of the exp or resource increases. If its only like 5% I'd expect a few other things for $15. If its like 30-50% then for $15 I might not expect much else. Really all depends on specifics.

As for the queue priority, I can see good reasons to add it and also drawbacks to it.
Old 2012-03-09, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I'm bringing THIS up again, because the model will most likely be like that.

Now we know we can expect DLCs, currency (resources), experience, cosmetics, outfits, sidegrades, and character slots.

Now try and base your suggestions on this model, because we're not only getting f2p and sub, we're also getting b2p between them.

(This post is for educational purposes only)

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion