Aircraft Flares - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where Hammas fly.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-20, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Toppopia
Major

Re: Aircraft Flares

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Any mention of air to ground missiles? Not the dumb unguided rockets but something like a Hellfire? I mean if they are talking about having ground vehicles with an entire array of surface to air options, seems a balance needs to be made and have those in the other direction as well.
I hope they add those, awesome times in BF3, flying my jet with faster locking missiles and anti ground missile, would disable the tanks or vehicles every time. Unless i had a good run up though i would never destroy them. But still denied the enemy a vehicle.
Old 2012-05-20, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Stew
Major

No arma stuff as possible on Planetside 2 ! Arma is a simulation game planetside 2 is not and i would like to avoid to have a BAD mixture of realisme and arcade gameplay Like what they did with Battlefield 3 !

BF3 is a good game but the mix of realisme and arcade gameplay make it furstrating and anoying in many situations !

To fix this very issue the aircraft VS flares u must have rocket klaunchers with NO cool down and flares with a certain amont of eithers amo and flares but been able to spam them isnt a good idea !

But the way to fix this is NO autoguided missiles so the flares will be almost useless and un use it fix the problem for me !

The rocket launcher from PS2 are suposed to be a MIX of a AT4 rocket and a javelin in fact the missile isnt autoguided you can lock the target but u actually have to aim constently at ur target to hit it !

Last edited by Stew; 2012-05-20 at 04:02 PM.
Old 2012-05-20, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Pyreal
First Sergeant

This idea places those factions whos AA MAX units use lock on mechanic at a definite disadvantage, and solely favors the faction that uses flak.
Old 2012-05-20, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
This idea places those factions whos AA MAX units use lock on mechanic at a definite disadvantage, and solely favors the faction that uses flak.
It already is that way with the current recharging flares.
Old 2012-05-20, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
We don't even know what the NC and VS AA MAXes fire in PS2. Considering that the only VS anti-vehicle weapon we have thus far seen is a lock-on weapon, as opposed to the Lancers direct fire from the first game, I think it would be unwise to assume that the Starfire and Sparrow are the same as they were in the first game.

They may still be the same, but we don't really know one way or another as of yet.
Old 2012-05-20, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Duddy
First Sergeant

I'm pretty sure it's been stated, or at the very least implied, that all MAXes will use Flak provided by Nanite Systems. The only empire specific weapons will be AI/AV for MAXes. Furthermore I'm almost certain that all MAXes use both arms for mounting weapons, allowing for mixing the weapons.

Unfortunately I can't link you the source but, unless I am mistaken, it was said around the same time that the pictures of the MAX mounted flame-throwers were released.
Old 2012-05-21, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Kipper
Captain

Flares shouldn't automatically break a lock, they should be used in conjunction with evasive action. Clever missile is clever, if it's locked onto a heat source, you don't just drop another heat source and make it change its mind while still heading in the same direction at the same speed, you should have to give it a choice and hope it picks the right/wrong one (depending on your point of view!).

Ground AA shouldn't be a guaranteed kill on an aircraft flown correctly, but it should be a guaranteed pain in the backside, and more often than not, put them off their aim or keep them out of an area. Of course, if you hover/linger/fly low & slow or any other bad things, you should expect death....
Old 2012-05-21, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Hypevosa
Sergeant

flares should automatically break a lock, and I'll tell you why:

It means squads of soldiers coordinating their efforts will kill vehicles, not lone wolves.

If you have flares always break a lock, that means communication within the squad, such that they fire their rockets at different intervals, will give the group of players that are actually working as a team the satisfaction of taking down the aircraft. Otherwise you're just rewarding the guy randomly running around the field with his rocket launcher instead.
Old 2012-05-21, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Ale
Corporal

The only thing that matters in terms of aircraft countermeasures is that in a 1v1 dogfight, flares/chaff cancel out a2a missles by having a shorter cooldown than the missles refire rate, forcing the fight to be guns only.

But, a2a missles should have a shorter cooldown when locking on the rear of an enemy aircraft. This means pilots who chose to use them to would have to fly for position, then achieve lock.

The best countermeasure to triple A fire is masking with terrain or simply egressing. Giving pilots the power to shed locks for a sustained period and stay low and local is dangerous to your average footzerging pleeb.

Last edited by Ale; 2012-05-21 at 12:49 PM.
Old 2012-05-21, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Ceska
Corporal

Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
I'm pretty sure it's been stated, or at the very least implied, that all MAXes will use Flak provided by Nanite Systems.
I would really want to see that. I highly doubt it. AA TR Max already had Flak in PS1, and it was the only one (NC and VS had lock on weapons).
Old 2012-05-21, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Ceska View Post
I would really want to see that. I highly doubt it. AA TR Max already had Flak in PS1, and it was the only one (NC and VS had lock on weapons).
It would be severly unbalanced if 1 faction had free fire AA weapons while everyone else was forced to have lock on, i think the devs have quite a few different weapons for different scenarios.
Old 2012-05-21, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

You all recall that one of the first things said in the video was that the Scythe's maneuverability isn't balanced, right? Hell, missiles may not even deal damage yet and people are still making sweeping generalizations about the state of affairs in a game they've never touched.

Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
I'm pretty sure it's been stated, or at the very least implied, that all MAXes will use Flak provided by Nanite Systems.
I think it was part of one of the news releases on the PS2 site? Regardless, I remember the same thing. Empire specific AI and AV, common pool flak.

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Little things like that that make your character not some mute who never talks.
I prefer it when my character doesn't put words in my mouth. Especially when talking to himself. If I want to say something I'll say it, that's what macros and voice comms are for.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion