Do you like the jelly? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ADA Warning: Do not floss teeth with PlanetSide CD.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What kind of damage indicator do you prefer?
I love the jelly all over my screen, it's realistic 20 12.82%
I would prefer to have a flash when you take damage but it disappears afterwards 84 53.85%
No red crap on my screen at all, please! 40 25.64%
Other? Post a comment 12 7.69%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-06-05, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Do you like the jelly?

I do hope it's at least a toggle. I don't care if half of the BF3 UI garbage is included even as a default option to make those players feel at home, just so long as I have the option to toggle it off or to a more useful or pleasant interface.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
GoldDragon
Corporal

Other: I liked the damage indication in the original PlanetSide after you turned the red screen flash off. It just had red indicators from the direction you were taking fire.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
GunslingerX
Private

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Why should you be at a disadvantage? Even if they're already better than you, you should further limit their killing ability?
Not sure what you mean, your wording is confusing. What does someone being better than me have to do with what I said? My response was directed at people who say they want it out because it limits their FOV. If you've been severely wounded in a battle it would make sense that you are no longer as effective. That's just how I justify that red tint obstructing my view.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by GunslingerX View Post
Not sure what you mean, your wording is confusing. What does someone being better than me have to do with what I said? My response was directed at people who say they want it out because it limits their FOV. If you've been severely wounded in a battle it would make sense that you are no longer as effective. That's just how I justify that red tint obstructing my view.
From a gamist perspective that doesn't work though. It's adding an unpleasant crippling effect that limits your control. Players should always be in control.

See shellshock/screen shake in Tribes:Ascend, or pretty much anything that Rogues do in PvP games.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
GunslingerX
Private

I understand where you're coming from, and judging by the poll results I'm the minority. I'll wait for beta to make up my mind but either way, if it's in or out I'm fine with it.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Raymac
Brigadier General

In a game like Planetside when there is sooo much going on around you, sometimes you don't even notice you are getting shot. That's pretty important information, so I liked the red flash around the edges of the screen.

Could it disapate a bit quicker? Sure, a bit. But make it obvious when I'm getting shot, because as silly as it sounds, I can miss it.

Old 2012-06-05, 11:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I didn't need a red flashing screen to warn me that my health was low in PS1.

I could:

1)Tell that I was injured just based off how much I was just shot. A little rational thinking never hurt anyone.

2)*Gasp* Look down at my HP/Armor level and find out exactly how injured I was.

3)Maybe stretching it a little because the Health/Armor/Stamina value bars were so tiny but: Use my peripheral vision to tell how much health/armor/stamina I had left.

I'm definitely biased. I hate that red shit on my screen. I can always easily distinguish how much damage I've taken based solely on how much I just got shot using my visual perception and functional brain I was blessed with. All those red, flashing, annoying screens do is obscure my vision.

As Bags pointed out how they moved the health/shield display underneath the crosshairs (or at least, allow you to) I see no reason for the inclusion of annoying flashing red screens other than to cater to the idiots who can't discern when they're taking damage. In which case, a little tough love and harsh learning never hurt anyone. All it will do is make them into a better and more aware player.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON

Last edited by Death2All; 2012-06-05 at 11:41 PM.
Old 2012-06-05, 11:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

My game play improved noticeably when I turned off the red flashes bit from PS1. It served more as a distraction to me and kept me from responding immediately to the threat, and also disguised the direction indicator more often then not so I had less clue as to where the shot came from.

So I'd rather have the option to turn off whatever "you are hurt" effects they might have.
Old 2012-06-05, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

I voted other by mistake. :P
I'd prefer the flash unless it's a terrible blur/haze effect like the one in r6 vegas(it was so bad I actually had to turn it off and not know when I was about to die).
As for the *Ahem* "BLOODY SCREEN! SO REAL!" I hate it. Blocks some of your vision and in some cases most of it.(Tribes ascend)
EDIT: Blackwolf above me has a point, I'd like a toggle on and off. Battlefield 3 did away with that and got a health bar.
Old 2012-06-06, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Didn't we have a suppression thread with poll? I can't find it, someone double check and make one?
That doesn't change my opinion, at all.

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Wonder if you can change the HUD so they're in the spot where you want them to be. I'd say it will be, but who knows.
Yes, you will be.

Was mentioned in the stream.

Originally Posted by CuddlyChud View Post
I didn't see any jelly, which makes the poll choices misleading. It's just a red tint around e edge of your screen to let you know you have low health. I'm all for that.
^This
Old 2012-06-06, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by CuddlyChud View Post
I didn't see any jelly, which makes the poll choices misleading. It's just a red tint around e edge of your screen to let you know you have low health. I'm all for that.
Yeah I am fine with it. When you are fighting someone, you can't just look at your health bar to see if you are almost dead or not. Since it is in the bottom of the screen you need to put your focus away from the enemy. I found the red tint just fine. Maybe it could be toned down somewhat, but I don't have any problems with it.
Old 2012-06-06, 07:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
elsnakeo
Private

It didn't seem very intrusive from the e3 cam footage I watched on Gametrailers.com, just a orange-red haze around the edges of the screen to warn "hey, your shields are down and health is being damaged". I'd have a problem with it if it were COD-style blood right in the middle of the screen, but I'm indifferent to this.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Vancha
Colonel

Here's what you do.

You add two sliders in the UI options menu - health warning pulse rate and health warning opacity, which allows you to control whether you want it at all and how intrusive it is if you do.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Bags
Lieutenant General

In the E3:

No need for screen jelly if your health bar is 1 inch below your xhair.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Unforgiven
Corporal

it seems more for the callofbattleops players, (they may be a bit slower than us REAL gamers) that way they know they are hurt. compy gamers are used to the health bar.

i wouldnt mind a flash or somthing so i know i got hit, maybie a sound, but the whole jelly thing is just dumb and unrealistic.

The Enclave
The Arm of Decision in Battle
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion